talk to me about Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
When I first started smoking a pipe they were meerschaum pipes back in 1998. Unfortunately they were lost in the sandbox and I am thinking of getting a pipe or two. What should one look for in a quality meerschaum pipe? I know there are pressed blocks as well as natural blocks. One I am looking at is http://www.eacarey.com/5307k.html.

I have 3 IMPs (now WGM) that are stellar. One Altinok that is bad anough to never buy another, and will have a Baki before Thanksgiving.

I'm a convert.

mgtarheel":s3nrr076 said:
From one tarheel to another look here.  http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/
Wow. His prices seem to have jumped a bit since I last visited that site. Up, of course.

Some Meerschaum carvers tend to take great pride in the drilling and carving of the meerschaum, and then fashion a stem that looks like a 7 year old kids first solo effort. Some of them are unbelievably horrendous.

If you find a meer with great stem work, the challenging part of the search is usually over.

Dutch":liia1nq7 said:
Some Meerschaum carvers tend to take great pride in the drilling and carving of the meerschaum, and then fashion a stem that looks like a 7 year old kids first solo effort. Some of them are unbelievably horrendous.

If you find a meer with great stem work, the challenging part of the search is usually over.
Here is my Altinok beef. Especially at the price.

The stem is terrible. It may be the worst stem example I own, meer or briar.

DireWolf":yhwgosnv said:
Dutch":yhwgosnv said:

Here is my Altinok beef.  Especially at the price.

The stem is terrible.  It may be the worst stem example I own, meer or briar.
Wolf, to be truthful, I have a lot of experience with one brand exclusively, and haven't branched out to experiment with other brands. However, most meer pipes are coming from Turkey, and as is the case with some European countries, quality stem work is not a primary focus in meer or briar pipes. I think this may simply due to the pipe making culture in some countries.

I think if I were going to order a meer through the mail, I would buy from a reputable retailer in the US, who will cheerfully give me a refund without hassle if need be. This will also keep return shipping costs at a minimum.

Also, one piece of info that can get overlooked, is that when you buy off ebay outside the CONUS, there is no money back guarantee. Meerschaum being fragile, there is the chance that you may need a refund for more than just a sub standard stem.

I do love the smoking qualities of a meerschaum pipe, I just want a better quality pipe the next time I gamble. I have heard that Baki's are good quality, but they don't come cheap. Then again, the same can be said for a quality briar pipe with quality stem work.

I have 4 meers , all figural work with three being from SMS that were bought over 30 years ago. The fourth one is an Altinok Bacchus I bought last year and have to say the stem work is FLAWLESS in ALL aspects. I have a friend in Dallas who smokes almost exclusively meers and he has 6 Altinok figurals and every one of them has the same kind of FLAWLESS stem work as mine does. I will say these are all $300.00+ pipes so can't say what the other more standard shaped lower priced ones are like but I LOVE mine !!

Dutch":w2abjcmf said:
DireWolf":w2abjcmf said:
Dutch":w2abjcmf said:

Here is my Altinok beef.  Especially at the price.

The stem is terrible.  It may be the worst stem example I own, meer or briar.
Wolf, to be truthful, I have a lot of experience with one brand exclusively, and haven't branched out to experiment with other brands. However, most meer pipes are coming from Turkey, and as is the case with some European countries, quality stem work is not a primary focus in meer or briar pipes. I think this may simply due to the pipe making culture in some countries.

I think if I were going to order a meer through the mail, I would buy from a reputable retailer in the US, who will cheerfully give me a refund without hassle if need be. This will also keep return shipping costs at a minimum.

Also, one piece of info that can get overlooked, is that when you buy off ebay outside the CONUS, there is no money back guarantee. Meerschaum being fragile, there is the chance that you may need a refund for more than just a sub standard stem.

I do love the smoking qualities of a meerschaum pipe, I just want a better quality pipe the next time I gamble. I have heard that Baki's are good quality, but they don't come cheap. Then again, the same can be said for a quality briar pipe with quality stem work.
I get that and agree. I have a few no names that are gurgle machines, and the Altinok is the same. I've heard nothing but good them......

My 3 IMPs are great. As good as any factory Sav or Stanwell I have. Open, smoorh draw, easy to keep clean, decent finish on the wax. Just perfect - for me.

After a lot of discussion and research, a Baki.is coming.

I have four meers directly from Bahri Tuner in Turkey. Got them at a great price because there's no middle man. Two are custom jobs. You can look him up at www.meerschaumpipemaster.net . His stem work is great and he matches each stem to each pipe. They smoke great too!

I'll add my perspective as a pipe maker.

I am in the market for a meerschaum right now. If it wasn't bad enough that most of the engineering was crap, as noted, the stems are even worse. Then one day I saw Scott Klein smoking a meerschaum with a beautiful Cumberland stem. I asked him about it and he told me he made the stem himself. Duh! Why didn't I think of that.

So now, I'm looking for a nice meer with a push style stem that I can make a new stem for. That seems to be my best bet.

I do think that without modification, Baki and SMS have had best engineering I've seen on a consistent basis, but my experience is limited, FWIW.

Feazelle-n-it":d53em0ol said:
Ooooohhh weeee Mark. I wish I had your kind of pipe money.
I think the market was pretty stagnant when I purchased them 6-7 years ago. Prices were about half what they are now.

mgtarheel":3q57k3bh said:
I own two pipes from Altinok and they are both beautiful and smoke great.  Sorry if you got a bad one DireWolf.
Snap! I also own one S Yanik and there's not a bad smoker or badly engineered pipe in the three of them.

I have an even dozen Meers. Most were acquired while I was with the military in Turkey. Had the good fortune to visit Eskisehir several times as the Turkish Air Force has a base there. My only regret is that a few of the pipes I bought sans hard cases, just a nice pipe glove. I am pleased with the draw and stemwork on all my Meers. From spring until early fall, they get a goodly workout from my collection of Latweed/s. Wish I could comment on the current crop of Meer pipes (Altinook, etc.), but I don't own any. I can highly recommend a well-made block meerschaum pipe to any pipe smoker. Gotta' have one or two in your rotation!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I have an IMP I got when smokingpipes had their blowout sale on them. I love that pipe. Great smoker, and it takes a beating insofar as what it likes to smoke. Works well with everything that I've tried in it. Meers are great, but you gotta pay for a good one. I had one once that was a pressed block version, and it split down the side of the bowl. I did get maybe ten good smokes out of it before it crapped out on me though. A good meer is a investment to me. It's going to take years to color this thing lol