Talk to me about Plugs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About a month ago, I tried my first plug of Pipe Tobacco. It was Peterson's Perfect Plug, and I instantly fell in love with it. Since then, I have stalked up on 3 P's, but I also want to explore the larger plug world. Unfortunately, it seems there is very little commercially available, particularly from domestic US brick'n Mortar establishments. Any suggestion for a burely/virginia lover?

Regards,

Mike

Triple P is pretty good stuff.

More into GLP's Jackknife Plug and SG's Kendal Plug. If you know anyone in the UK, Warrior Plug is a lovely chunk, too. All will turn your gills green with glee if you're so inclined.

8)

Mad Philosopher":4l8sm4ll said:
About a month ago, I tried my first plug of Pipe Tobacco. It was Peterson's  Perfect Plug, and I instantly fell in love with it. Since then, I have stalked up on 3 P's, but I also want to explore the larger plug world. Unfortunately, it seems there is very little commercially available, particularly from domestic US brick'n Mortar establishments.  Any suggestion for a burely/virginia lover?

Regards,

Mike
Damn! I've heard of hard to aquire blends but I didn't know there was one you had to sneak up on! You did say you had to "...stalk" up on it right ? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mad Philosopher":55xt2r72 said:
About a month ago, I tried my first plug of Pipe Tobacco. It was Peterson's  Perfect Plug, and I instantly fell in love with it. Since then, I have stalked up on 3 P's, but I also want to explore the larger plug world. Unfortunately, it seems there is very little commercially available, particularly from domestic US brick'n Mortar establishments.  Any suggestion for a burely/virginia lover?

Regards,

Mike

If you are willing to pay a premium price and extra shipping, there are a number of plugs available in Ireland/Northern Ireland (we can't order from the rest of the UK for some odd alledged credit card reason; why that would stop all other money transfer options is beyond me). Google Mr Snuff or James Fox of Dublin for two good places. You might also look into the UK rope tobaccos offered here in the US, made by Gawith Hoggarth & Sam Gawith as an alternative to plugs

Plugs are fun! You can prepare them in any way you want and get a different experience with every cut. Just remember to always cut across the grain, not along it. They're stacked individual leaves, like a book or magazine, so if you peel them apart you won't get all the components in the blend.

Since you like 3Ps, you might try Gold Brick by Wessex. Those are both steamed, so they are very dense and hard. I enjoy the VaPer (Triple Play) and Va/Dark Fired (Jack Knife) plugs Pease makes quite a bit, which are much softer.

Love ya, E, but Gold Brick and PPP are pretty darned different in the flavor department.  Gold Brick is whimsical, much lighter in taste, nic and smoke, PPP has a bit of staunch thickness to the smoke...  Gold Brick has a peculiar and delicious coffee-type aftertaste, and PPP delivers an earthy quality.   Gold Brick is almost not a plug in my book, the few bricks I dove into are pressed into a puck, but the leaf is usually patchwork and pieces, whereas PPP (or even Jackknife, KP or WP) are layers of actual one-piece leaf.   I dig Gold Brick--don't get me wrong.  :heart:

Jackknife is probably the most fun and versatile tobacco I've ever smoked.   Greg has it layered with certain tobaccos like strata, the darkest stuff in the center and fades to light as it gets to the outer edges.   Cut right through the layers and rubbed out is a different experience than peeling off one layer at a time and smoking each component nearly alone.   It's one of my favorite products by GLP.  

PS, Monbla is a smartarse.   Though there is a "Deerstalker" model of pipe by Peterson, the "Baccystalker" has yet to make an appearance.   :lol:

8)

Another source for SG and G&H plugs is Synjeco. I've setup two group buys with them over this past year and they have been great to deal with. I'm going to be running another group buy around March/April time frame. Keep an eye on the Tobacco Jar forum around February for the new thread. Also, shoot me a PM if you are interested and I'll send you more info.

Kyle Weiss":ycfpm8kp said:
PS, Monbla is a smartarse.   Though there is a "Deerstalker" model of pipe by Peterson, the "Baccystalker" has yet to make an appearance.   :lol:

8)
If you say so Kyle, but then it takes one to know one :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I agree, they are different tasting, but the plug style is the same, in contrast to the spongier GLP offerings. That's what I was referring to. PPP to Gold Brick is a much smaller step than to Triple Play or JKP.

Funny you'd mention earthy about PPP: I get drawn in by the fruity notes more than the depth. Dern tasticles. Everyboy's got 'em. They're just all different. :lol:

I would recommend Mick McQuaid Plug if you're willing to order from Mr. Snuff.

I've heard Revor plug is similar to Jack Knife, been wanting to try both. Have triple play coming in on a recent order, excited!

Old Nate":vky64lc8 said:
I've heard Revor plug is similar to Jack Knife, been wanting to try both. Have triple play coming in on a recent order, excited!
Nothing similar about those to me. Revor is jacked up in flavor, body, and strength. Very strong in all those components, yet delivering a complex and tasty bowl. Absolutely for after a large supper afaic.

Cheers,

RR

MisterE":vyuwwtv0 said:
I agree, they are different tasting, but the plug style is the same, in contrast to the spongier GLP offerings. That's what I was referring to. PPP to Gold Brick is a much smaller step than to Triple Play or JKP.

Funny you'd mention earthy about PPP: I get drawn in by the fruity notes more than the depth. Dern tasticles. Everyboy's got 'em. They're just all different. :lol:
There's fruity notes in PPP, but has this nice mushroom-like wholeness to it that I really dig.  

Okay, I'll give ya that the style is the same... quit bein' so nice to the youngin', he can load up a huge bowl of JKP and learn not to puke from green gills like the rest of us.  :lol!:

8)

Thanks for all the suggestions (and grammar *cough* corrections). The description of Jack Knife sounds really tasty, but if gold brick is a smaller jump in N factor, that might be a better way to go. I'll probably put in an order for several different things and try them all out. It's really a shame plugs are a tiny niche interest even among pipe smokers.

Kyle Weiss":4q8hgydj said:
MisterE":4q8hgydj said:

There's fruity notes in PPP, but has this nice mushroom-like wholeness to it that I really dig.  

Okay, I'll give ya that the style is the same... quit bein' so nice to the youngin', he can load up a huge bowl of JKP and learn not to puke from green gills like the rest of us.  :lol!:

8)
Good thing he wasn't asking about ropes! How many nic-lite ropes can you think of!? :affraid: :drunken:

MisterE":n03if7ba said:
Kyle Weiss":n03if7ba said:
MisterE":n03if7ba said:

8)
Good thing he wasn't asking about ropes! How many nic-lite ropes can you think of!? :affraid: :drunken:
Where would be the fun in that? :scratch:

MisterE":9oidsved said:
Cotton, perhaps nylon. :mrgreen:

8)

Another cool plug to try out is Gaslight by GL Pease. It's maybe the only plug out there with Latakia in it and it is easily available in the US. It is a perfect one for winter.

Psmith":dgr8keci said:
Another cool plug to try out is Gaslight by GL Pease.  It's maybe the only plug out there with Latakia in it and it is easily available in the US.  It is a perfect one for winter.
That one is... sort-of a plug in my book.   I consider anything I have to cut with a knife or scissors, or pound with a hammer a plug.   I can still rough-up pieces of Gaslight by hand if needed.   Gaslight is also one of my favorite tobaccos.  :heart:

8)