Tall ships, possibly pirates etc - recommendations?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beetlejazz

Reaction score
As a kid I was always really fond of this genre. Possibly has to do with my father, who used to draw me pictures of pirates and entertain me with trivia about the big beautiful sailships and the less beautiful way of life on them. Among my favourite books were "Treasure Island" and "Peter Simple".

While most of what I read nowadays is very different, right now I'm really craving to go back to this stuff, so I'm looking for book recommendations.

Know any good ones, anyone? The more massive the better.

:cyclops: Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent - I have read this series several times and really enjoyed it every time.
It is about the English navy during the tall ships era and the Napolean Wars. While each book is not massive in itself, the series could be considered as one story and that makes it really massive. :pirat:

dkj42":cfzuzppj said:
:cyclops: Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent - I have read this series several times and really enjoyed it every time.
It is about the English navy during the tall ships era and the Napolean Wars. While each book is not massive in itself, the series could be considered as one story and that makes it really massive. :pirat:
WOOHOO!!! :cheers:

I think I just got my hands into an audio version of this - I'm looking for audiobooks, actually, because there's few enjoyments like listening to an audio book and knitting. :oops:

Yak, that looks interesting too - a bit more serious than what I'm specifically looking for right now but I'm sure to take a note on that one too.

I highly recommend the Aubrey/ Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian. There are twenty of them dealing with British naval life during the Napoleonic era. The series has spawned several publications dealing with history, maps/charts of geography mentioned in the novels. cookbooks with detailed traditional and modernized versions of food mentioned, etc. Also, audiobooks are available.

I may have the name spelled slightly wrong, but you might try Rafael Sabatini (Captain Blood, etc.)

Actually I just started off with Captain Blood, and I have to say it's way better than I would have expected. :shock: The prose actually reminds me of Stendahl in it's flowing wittiness where the protagonist is quite often, in a tender, loving way of course, the butt of the joke.

Besides, gotta love a book that starts:

Peter Blood, bachelor of medicine and several other things besides, smoked a pipe and tended the geraniums boxed on the sill of his window above Water Lane in the town of Bridgewater.

I'll take a look at the rest of recommended here too. Thanks brothers, this stuff will make the winter way brighter.

GristlyGrowler":nwpqn2b9 said:
I highly recommend the Aubrey/ Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian. There are twenty of them dealing with British naval life during the Napoleonic era. The series has spawned several publications dealing with history, maps/charts of geography mentioned in the novels. cookbooks with detailed traditional and modernized versions of food mentioned, etc. Also, audiobooks are available.
I need this. :shock:

This is probably not going to interest you at all, but I read a book a while back by A.S Peterson called The Fiddler's Gun. It's not hard core pirates, or anything, but the story line is very interesting, has life like qualities, and is a good adventure. It feels like it was written by an old Salt who knew the water better than the land.

The Fiddler's Gun is the first of two books in the series. The second is called "The Fiddler's Green".

You might read the forward and see what you think. Heck, I'd be willing to lend both to you if you wanted to give 'em a try.

:cyclops: And, of course, C. S. Forester's Hornblower series - same comments as the Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. :D

dkj42":h1y5ic27 said:
:cyclops: And, of course, C. S. Forester's Hornblower series - same comments as the Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. :D

Oooh, Horatio Hornblower? The TV series was great!

dkj42":hv0m1snt said:
Yup, this. I loved the Hornblower books.

Pirate Latitudes by Michael criton, a postmortem release. They found a complete manuscript, story and all, in his dresser or desk or something while cleaning out his estate. I loved it!