tambo mold?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmess

Reaction score
I peeled apart some tambo leaf and this is what I found. It looks like mold to me. Help please!!!!

tambo111.jpg

Not mold. Well, best I can do with a pic. Looks like sugars or salts. Aged Lakeland flakes do the same thing. Mold I have seen looks like bread mold. Big, greenish, and hairy. Not that dusty looking white stuff you have.

I know what aged virginia crystals look like and this isnt it. Can it be fungus?
The stuff looks scary to me. lol

Thanks for the help,

Bill

I have some Kendal Plug that has that exact same stuff--the pattern, tone and even location (on the edge of the cut) are identical. It didn't smell like mold, and the tobacco tasted wonderful. I even pulled it apart and saw it spread through certain layers and not others.

I have seen mold on tobacco before, and usually it doesn't spread slowly, it gets green and nasty like fruits and veg left in the fridge too long. If it's white or green spots starting out, then I'd worry, but that looks harmless. Or, if it is mold, it sure didn't make a bit of difference on my KP. :p Did everyone just see those tracers? Woaaaah! Dude!

8)

Lay it on the table top and mark it's position. Go back an hour later. If it hasn't moved, smoke it.

I'd say, without being able to examine it, that it's just bloom. I lost a full tub of ERR to mold. Man, that was yougly!!!
I had some Henry Clays that bloomed like that. They were fine to smoke. I've got some aged flake and plug with the same stuff on it.
It hasn't moved an inch since I bought it so it's fair game as AFAIC.

wc,

You made me laugh with your if it don't move, smoke it adage. I have the same philosophy about cleaning:).

Thought I had mold on some SG Navy Flake I got a while ago. One helpful poster suggested I look at it through a magnifying glass. If the spots were fuzzy it was mold.

Turns out they weren't fuzzy, and were sugar crystals instead. Been happily smoking it ever since.

Get you a magnifying glass and look at it in good light.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

mmmm SG Navy Flake crystals... *drool*

Yeah, I have the same rule about cleaning too... if it doesn't move, I don't smoke it, either. Especially the sink sponge. :shock:

Mould can be white, green, or red, or any color in between. Sugar crystals will look like crystals, or bubbles under a strong magnifier. Mould will look with like spider webs, with tentacles reaching out from the main body. Without better magification, I would guess mould.

Smoker99":uv68q6wq said:
Mould can be white, green, or red, or any color in between. Sugar crystals will look like crystals, or bubbles under a strong magnifier. Mould will look with like spider webs, with tentacles reaching out from the main body. Without better magification, I would guess mould.
Thank You smoker. This has been very informative. After staring at this stuff for days, and driving myself a little crazy, I think its mold. It is a shame since I have about a pound of the tambo and I plan on throwing it out. If someone wants it let me know. There appear to be several pieces without mold. But, I'm completely turning off to the batch and I will be getting rid of it.

Bill

It was very tragic but 1 lb. of tambo went into the trash. There were no crystals and I was about 90% sure it was mold.

Bill

OH!!! Thank you to everyone that posted and tried to help me figure this one out :)

Bill