Tampers: love 'em, hate 'em or lose 'em

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamewadave

Reaction score
My pockets are full of crap. Keys, coins, bits of debris, phone and the rest of it. But I love a nice piece of plastic, steel, brass or wood to punch down the tobac in the bowl. But I always forget or lose the tamper/tool at some point. So now more than every -> I'm a finger poker.

Can you share your best tamper story and has anyone had one for more than six months without losing it (not carrying it doesn't count)?

Mostly use my finger, which I always have on me.

But then, my Czech tool is on my keychain, and as such is always with me as well. The same one has been on there for well over 20 years. It's not shiny, but it still does its job. I use it more when I'm outdoors.

Have never had any desire to look at other tampers. If it doesn't attach to my keychain or my hand, it's just something I'll forget to bring with me and eventually lose.

You are on the leader board!

I have had 1/2 dozen Czech tools - don't know where they went, maybe ran off with the missing socks from the dryer. I find they are too large to attach to my keyring, I've never lost a set of keys but if I attach a Czech tool I'm sure they will run away!

How do you like the Billy budd?

I have a tamper on my lighter so if I lose that I can be SOL. But I also leave a Czech tool in the ashtray in my car, one in my pipe carrying case and one in my tobacco stand at home so I always will have one handy.

Tampers come and tampers go,,,have had a lot of nice ones for gifts,,,lost an ivory one, lost a glass one, walnut one lost fishing, had a beautiful meerschaum tamper with a silver tip I sent to a brother here,(I was afraid of losing it anyway) the brass one my son made me is in a gorge at Letchworth State Park, cartridge tamper lost in the wash,,never had any of them for over a year I guess,,,,you know what I never lose is the 99 cent pipe nails,,,

I finally found out that the easiest thing to do is buy a half-dozen Czech Tools and scatter them: one in the car, in my office, etc.. Then they migrate into pants pockets, jackets, the washing machine, etc. etc. But I have a couple of places I purposefully return them to: next to my computer and my dresser mostly. I have the same problem with Cigar clips and lighters; spending a lot of money on accessories seems foolish, particularly when there are a lot of pipes out there I'd like to purchase.

I have only one Czech tool and it's the same one I've had for years because it stays on my key chain. Otherwise I use my finger or a 16 penny framing nail (they work just as well as a real tamper). I think like Tim, spend the money on good pipes and tobacco.

1 well made Tamper 2 cheep ones at home with my pipes where I smoke. Yes at home, smoking outside where I live it is not only frowned upon it could cost you $50. Frankly, I have always been an at home smoker, too much to carry with pipes.
Love rather than hate the tool.

As someone who practices a legal profession, I am required to wear a suit five days a week - this has actually helped me keep Czech tools around, I keep one on a pocket-watch chain.
On the weekends, when I actually get to don denim, I keep my tamper in the "coin pocket", which seems custom tailored for a Bic and a tool.

There is also a tool living in both the car and den ashtrays, one in the desk at work, one in the briefcase, and one in the golf-bag (which never gets used, since I always have a tee handy on the course).

I like the pipe nails (I think that´s what they´re called). The Czech tool is a pain- too many moving parts, LOL.

Actually, I don´t really think about them until I lose them. I´ll order 2 or 3 each year and when they go their separate ways, I get a few more. I have a little rubber band thingy I put on a Bic and the pipe nail slides nicely under that that. The practical man's Old Boy!! When you lose it you´re just miffed, not crestfallen.

I bought a couple of these Brebbia brand tampers for $2/each from pipesandcigars.com. I had several Czech tools, but they've since been stored. I can see where a pipe nail would have a use. These Brebbia's disappear in my pocket and there is nothing to unfold to clean the bowl. I'm sure to lose them and will grab a few more on my next visit.

As my packing technique has improved, I've found I use my Czech tool less and less...

A tamper is nice and helps get a nice, even pack around the edges, but I was just out of town for ten days and misplaced my pipe tool, so I used my finger. Does the job just fine. Now that I'm home, though, I've been using a CZ tool.

Those Brebbia tampers look great!

I like tampers - even if they´re not necessary or if a simple horseshoe-nail would be just enough. That Brebbia tamper looks nice, by the way.

Tamper_01.jpg
This one´s made by David Wagner (baff! pipes)

Tamper_03.jpg
My favorite Poul Winsløw tamper

Tamper_02.jpg
Women would love this one, Nils Thomsen thinks

I hope this little obsession isn´t bothering anyone…

All one really needs is a typical Czech pipe tool

czech3partfull.jpg

Unfortunately they are pretty useless as reamers. So one also needs a Sheffield type tool:

rodgers-pipe-knife.jpg

which strikes me as the most useful all-round implement.

I have a few czech tools, one pipes shaped pipe tool and also i purchased Peterson's sherlock holmes heavy pewter tamper. The holmes tamper does work fantastically, and looks good by my pipes.

Although working in the oil patch doesn't allow me to bring my nice pipe tamper so i use the butt end of my paint marker which everyone and their dog has on them. Also pipe smoking while wearing fire-retardent coveralls is a safe feeling! :lol:

Tim_Haggerty":4qdu4gyj said:
I finally found out that the easiest thing to do is buy a half-dozen Czech Tools and scatter them: one in the car, in my office, etc.. Then they migrate into pants pockets, jackets, the washing machine, etc. etc. But I have a couple of places I purposefully return them to: next to my computer and my dresser mostly.
This is exactly what I found the best method! I try to keep one in reaching distance :p