Tarus .357 lever?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbear58

Reaction score
A gun I have eyed for a while is a 357 mag lever rifle. The Tarus comes much closer to my price range than any others, but I have heard a few snorts over their QC.

My questions:
Has anyone tried this or any Rossi/Targus levers?

If it has quality issues couldn't you polish them out with a bit of careful buffing and tweaks?

Oldbear

While I am not a big fan of pistol round rifles, because of the short range, they can be fun to shot. And they do make good brush poppers.

The 44 mag rifle has brought a many of deer home. I fyou do hunt, it makes a wouderful woods gun. not many deer in the woods are shot past 100 yards, most probably around 50 or so.The taurus you are talking about is the rossi 92 that has been put out for many years. Its a exact copy of the winchester 92. Taurus just owns rossi. They are a fine rifle. I have not owned on but I do know a few that do. And they love their rifle. The 44 will get out there 100 yards easy could even make 150 with about 6- 8 inch compensation for bullet drop. Im thinking of getting one my self. just aint run across the one Im looking for yet. Oh yeh did I tell you it come with a life time warrenty from taurus.

The 357 mag rifle has brought a many of deer home. If you do hunt, it makes a wouderful woods gun. not many deer in the woods are shot past 100 yards, most probably around 50 or so.The taurus you are talking about is the rossi 92 that has been put out for many years. Its a exact copy of the winchester 92. Taurus just owns rossi. They are a fine rifle. I have not owned on but I do know a few that do. And they love their rifle. The 357 will get out there 100 yards easy could even make 150 with about 6- 8 inch compensation for bullet drop. Im thinking of getting one my self. just aint run across the one Im looking for yet. Im leaning towards the 44mag. Oh yeh did I tell you it come with a life time warrenty from taurus.

My Rossi in .45 colt has had many thousands of rounds thru it campaigning the cowboy action circuit, with not one bit of trouble. It is accurate to 1/4 minute of tin can and has taken several feral hogs. My Winchester Trapper is not as robust and broke several cartridge lifters. The cartridge will take anything that you would want to shoot, with proper loadings. Shot placement is a given.

Danindayton
ilurkalot

I've never had a Taurus lever and TBH I'd probably not buy their products again. Several years ago I bought my wife a Ti Taurus revolver. After a few boxes of +P's it would skip every other cylinder when cycling to the next round. We did get a refund (Thanks to a shop we did much business with) but Taurus QC left a mighty poor impression.
I'd suggest looking for a Marlin chambered in this caliber. IIR they did some '94's that were pretty darn cost effective especially when buying used.
I owned a Marlin '94 in .44 mag for many years. I picked up a trigger kit from Wild West and removed the cross bolt safety. The thing was a beast with Buffalo Bore rounds. I'm still kicking myself for letting that one go.

Dave

I currently own 3 Taurus Firearms. Granted these are all hand guns, however I have found their QC to be excellent. Taurus Arms have supplied the vast majority of sidearms for the worlds military, and police use for years, until the semi-auto revolution. Many reviews have put their QC on par with Smith & Wesson! Pretty high marks IMHO.

KRG

I own a Tarus/Rossi .357 revolver and it has performed well for me for several years. Based on my own personal experience I would buy another, which is why I was curious of other's opinions.

Oldbear

Their customer care is good in my opinion. I have a 605 357 snubby that my wife took from me. She wanted bigger grips on it. So I called taurus a while back to buy some bigger grips. They were out at the time. The other day I got package in the mail, and low and behold . there was a set of grips from taurus in it. They just sent them free. Thats the kind of customer care I like.

Plumbernator, you know guns, yo!! I'm impressed by how many different kinds you've had over the years. I seem to remember a few Enfields you posted a while back (IIRC). I love the old military rifles.

I have the 6 shot version of the Tarus .357 (wish I had the 5 shot) and it is a good gun.

Oldbear

Taurus bad rap comes from the 60's-70's and the very very cruddy stuff they put out.

Since that time they have been a sister company of S&W, of course being bought out of that deal a bit later. Little known fact, every taurus since the early-mid 80's has a lifetime no questions asked warrenty.

I've carried one of their 38's for about a decade.. Just retired the old girl for a PT 1911. I have zero qualms trusting my life or the life's of those I am love bound to protect with a Taurus product. Period.

Plumber. I spy a Nagent.  

Remember when you could but those at roses for $42...
And the ammo was about $.08 a round.

is that 3rd one up an 8mm mauser?
I had one of those for while, it had the 3rd reich stampings on it, I also had an eddystone 30-06 that was sporterized but still had the original peep sites I could punch holes that touched each other with that at 100yrds everytime.

Both of those rifles my wifes great uncle had brought home from WWII, my Father in-law gave them to me, but then later in life he became interested in firearms and asked for them back, I happily gave them back to him, I felt weird taking them to begin with, but at the time he wasn't taking care of them and they were in need of a loving home

Yep its a SVT 40. Its actually before the SKS. It came out in WW2 to replace the mosin nagant. From what I can gather, the russian solders were not very smart to take care of a auto loading rifle in the field. So they went back to the bolt action. The SKS was designed from the SVT 40