Tasteless evening last night...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

63rdOVI

Reaction score
Last night was the first time that I've experienced tobacco overload, because no matter what I was smoking last night, it was all rather tasteless, even MacBaren Plumcake. Food was the same, but perhaps I've been smoking a little too much lately. Has this happened to anybody else here? I've even been slowing down on my puffing and trying to smoke a cool rather than warm pipe, and I've enjoyed the difference in taste. But last night was just...blaaaah. Suggestions?

Every now and then I think I get tongue fatigue or something. Are you rotating pipes and giving them a rest? You say food was the same, so it is probably not a head cold w/ congestion messing everything up.

Yes, I'm rotating pipes and even tobacco. No cold, either, so I'm thinking it just might have to do with an "overload" of smoking; I've been puffing a little more than usual lately.

Happens to me off and on. Sometimes I think it's how I've packed the pipe because the next day it's back to normal. And sometimes I taste too much as in harsh. I haven't a good explanation for it but, food flavor has never changed even with a cold that I can recall.
If your on any meds or had a shot lately maybe that has something to do with it.

Nothing besides my normal meds, so maybe I just need to refrain from smoking so much during the day and give myself a bit of a break.

i find that when i am plagued with the dreaded "no taste" its time for me to find a nice new tobacco.
right now hal'o the wynd is completely tasteless but old dark fired is full of flavor. i suggest trying something totally different then what your use too

I am finishing a bowl of Plumcake in my Peterson Kinsale calabash and it is tasting very nice right now. Maybe my body was just telling me that I'd had enough last night!

I do indeed have a nice selection of untried tins so I will give that a try as you suggest, smg913; thanks!

Have gone through several "funks" where nothing seems to taste of anything.

On the advice of some here I tried Biotene mouthwash, and found it made a difference. I always have some on hand, and use it daily no matter what I'm tasting.

And of course, too many bowls/day can dull one's taste receptors. This varies with the individual for sure.

Not all of us can be Jimlnks!

:joker: 

Cheers,

RR

63rdOVI":584rmhrw said:
I am finishing a bowl of Plumcake in my Peterson Kinsale calabash and it is tasting very nice right now. Maybe my body was just telling me that I'd had enough last night!
It is good to hear your taste buds have recovered. The Kinsale is a fine pipe. I have two of them, and they are really excellent smokers.

Brewdude and Fr Tom, thanks for your comments. I do indeed have some Biotene and will try that, although I think that I will also cut back on my daily bowl limit, too. And yes, I am enjoying the Kinsale Calabash very much; it's a really nice design.

Fr_Tom":6oeb15a1 said:
I have the xl22 and xl14 Kinsales and am very glad I got them. Reading this post inspired to fire up a bowl of Three Friars in the xl22.
Very nice! I've got the XL11, XL17, and XL25, and I really like them.

It's par for the course. There are no sublime smokes unless there are a few so-so ones to balance it out. I just don't worry about it and either smoke through it, or simply not smoke for a while. It always comes around again.

63rdOVI":bdyedzt5 said:
Last night was the first time that I've experienced tobacco overload...
Have experienced this myself. I always suspected it was the mood I was in, though this wouldn't constitute a satisfactory explanation for the scientific types... or perhaps anyone else, either.

this happened to me right after halloween, no tobacco or food tasted right about 3 days later major head cold... hope thats not where your headed, take some vitamin c