Tasting Notes For 'Straight Up' Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henwrench

Reaction score
I've been pipe smoking for a couple of years now and am really getting the hang of the various tobacco types. I tried some of the 'dreaded' Clan this weekend, which, contrary to many reviewers, I find an acceptable smoke (actually, I rather like it!). The point of my smoking experience and subsequent post is I was extremely pleased to have picked out so many of the various tobacco types contained in this very, very complex blend. I identified the Virginia's, the Perique, the Cavendish and Black Cavendish, the Turkish and the Burley. I however have no experience of Kentucky or Maryland.

So I'm sure some of you good people out there can put me in the picture regarding these two in particular, and maybe we can add some tasting notes here, for the total new pipe smoker. (I'm sure there are similar threads here already!!) for example, the experienced pipe smoker will be able to detect the unmistakable peppery quality of Perique or the natural sweetness of a fine light Virginia...

henwrench

I'm no expert either, but I can recognise perique, VA and Latakia easily enough. Maybe Cavendish as well.
I've never tried the dreaded 'Clan', but I keep meaning to, to see if I think it's as awful as everyone says! Each to his own, I say.

Here's a useful P&C link:

pipesandcigars.com/outoty.html

As far as Kentucky, this typically refers to fire cured burley I believe. If you want to know what this tastes like, just pick up a baccy that's heavy in it. That stong, full taste, yea that's the kentucky...high nicotine content, and a little goes a long way.

There are several e-tailers on line that sell bulk blending tobacco. Take a look at what's offered and order some of ea and give 'em a smoke. Should conclusivly answer your taste questions for these types.

monbla256":y5ushcsp said:
There are several e-tailers on line that sell bulk blending tobacco. Take a look at what's offered and order some of ea and give 'em a smoke. Should conclusively answer your taste questions for these types.
As another plus to this method - think of the Blending combinations you could come up with! :cheers:

If you want to taste Kentucky give G.L. Pease's Cumberland a try....the Kentucky is very out front.