Tasting the Wood

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
I've been running into references that refer to "tasting the wood." All I taste is tobacco.

Can you tell me, how does one taste wood?

Don Alfredo, I'll take a stab at this, Hard being used by carvers/mfg such as, David Jones, Dunhill, Ashton I experience no taste at all. Soft wood such as Castello, Ardor, Cavicchi, I can taste the "sweetness", I have examples, of all these and more in my collect, my tastememory doesn't go back 50 yrs., but all my S.S. Pierce, Weber, an older Ehrlich"s & Peretti's were made with Algerian{hard}, there was an article about this in the NASPC newsletter some yrs. ago I'll try to find it. Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

pipetongue1":g90jqcau said:
Don Alfredo, I'll take a stab at this, Hard being used by carvers/mfg such as, David Jones, Dunhill, Ashton I experience no taste at all. Soft wood such as Castello, Ardor, Cavicchi, I can taste the "sweetness", I have examples, of all these and more in my collect, my tastememory doesn't go back 50 yrs., but all my S.S. Pierce, Weber, an older Ehrlich"s & Peretti's were made with Algerian{hard}, there was an article about this in the NASPC newsletter some yrs. ago I'll try to find it. Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:
That, or from burning out the airhole.

Doc Manhattan":w0lnh8vq said:
alfredo_buscatti":w0lnh8vq said:
Ask Robert Wagner. 8)
Geeez...and I thought my mind was a bit strange! :lol!:

As for Alfredo's question....that's the first time I remember hearing the subject. The only time I taste wood -in a smoke- is when breaking in the heel of a new pipe.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":kbyq7mx3 said:
Doc Manhattan":kbyq7mx3 said:
alfredo_buscatti":kbyq7mx3 said:
Ask Robert Wagner. 8)
Geeez...and I thought my mind was a bit strange! :lol!:

As for Alfredo's question....that's the first time I remember hearing the subject. The only time I taste wood -in a smoke- is when breaking in the heel of a new pipe.

Jim
For me it was the last time I smoked Walnut. :lol!:

The only one I have notice is a cob.

But I wonder if those made of other woods, other than briar, would have a distinct taste.

Ken's comments about soft and hard briar is interesting. I wonder if this affects the weight of the pipe. There are some pipes, seems to me, that weigh less although they have as much or more briar than others.

I have also only noticed a taste of the pipe material in a cob. Kind of was having a craving for corn afterwards. :tongue:

I have a Tsuge Dublin and a Tsuge bent bulldog that hit a certain point and it just don't taste like tobacco anymore. If I did not know any better, and I probably don't, I would say it's the wood. It's not an unpleasant taste or smell, it's actually sort of agreeable, but it's not the latakia-based baccy that I am smoking (GLPs, FMs, Fairmorns), because there is a distinct change in the taste, and the taste/smell is the same regardless of the tobacco in the chamber. The only common thing at that point is the wood. I usually stop smoking at that point and I keep examining the chambers for signs of burnout. It's only on those 2 pipes, though.

D'.

I went back and reread what my friend said about tasting wood. Now I know what he means, at least in the measure of the subject then at hand, and that is bowl coatings can become so impervious that they prevent the pipe from absorbing the tars and resins of the smoldering tobacco. Over time they add a richness to future smokes.

I've always preferred my tobacco chamber to be wood and wood alone; now I have some justification for that preference.