Tasting your tobacco...a "how not to"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
I figured I'd stick this in the Pipe techniques section as a "what not to do" to get great flavor out of your tobacco. Sure, there are the obvious ones, don't smoke tasteless tobacco, don't smoke it too hot and so on. But I stumbled upon one the other day that I'm afraid has ruined my taste buds forever...ok, probably not forever, but so far it feels that way.

The other day, when I was at a conference, one of the guys brings me a chili pepper and says, "this is one of Luis' special peppers, we tried it so you should too." Knowing Luis was into ghost peppers and all things ridiculously hot, I knew this one was going to be hot. And knowing that this particular pepper was one of his ghost pepper hybrids, born and bred to be even more hot than the ghost pepper, I knew I was in for it.

I informed the offerer that I was about to head out and smoke a pipe, and that I didn't want to completely ruin my taste buds. But alas, I reverted to my college days and couldn't bear to pass up the challenge.

The piece of pepper I put in my mouth was probably the size of a sunflower seed....and it LIT ME UP! I swear, it was like a thousand bees stinging the inside of my mouth in unison. My lips burned, my eyes watered and my nose ran. I was too on fire to worry about tasting the tobacco that day, but I've realized that I still can't taste much over a two weeks later. I even took an entire week off with no smoking at all.

I'm beginning to wonder how much damage I've done, if it was the pepper, or just something else.

Just wanted to share.

HA! Yup, never eat hot food before or during smoking tobacco! Pretty funny story, Brian. :D 

As for the no taste, could be just the seasonal crud going around. I find that after about 2 months of every tobacco tasting great and smoking well, I'm in for 2 months of tasteless tobacco and tongue bite. I don't know exactly why, but it could be a great time to change to a blend you don't normally smoke or take a break from smoking.

Yup. Anything like hot sauce/hot peppers will certainly bugger up your sense of taste.

While I love hot stuff in general I also find I'm moving away from it these days. Not just for the smoking issue either.

:| 

Hope you get your tasters working again soon Brian.

Cheers,

RR

There is some nasty fall crud going around this year. I'm on my second headcold in 6 weeks (haven't smoked in 8 days) and it's miserable.

When you said Tasting tobacco, how not to, I couldn't help but remember this (don't try it at home kids):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vknczC2MGBs" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Puff Daddy":4oq45rrj said:
There is some nasty fall crud going around this year. I'm on my second headcold in 6 weeks (haven't smoked in 8 days) and it's miserable.

When you said Tasting tobacco, how not to, I couldn't help but remember this (don't try it at home kids):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vknczC2MGBs" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Someone tell me this is fake please....

Puff Daddy":g6j1udpn said:

That's an awesome video. I've never seen that before. I was sitting there thinking...man, that looks a lot like beef jerky. It makes me want to try that with my more novice pipe smoking friends.

Funny video. I have had the same thing as PD going on. I am wiped out at night, and just too damn heady to enjoy a pipe. Everything pretty much tastes blah to me right now. I blame the winds and some rampant hay-fever that no allergy medication can touch.

Sounds like you actually destroyed your tastebuds. If so you're looking at about 2 months before your taste returns to normal. (Yes I'm speaking from experience here brother!)

Jim

Whenever I've gone out and had Tai food or Mexican food with friends I NEVER smoke a pipe for at least two days AFTER I've had the food! Thank god I don't do this often as I'd never be able to smoke a pipe :twisted: :twisted: 

Oh, and from my experience with MacBaren Vanilla Flake, eating it might be the only way to get it to actually taste good. :lol: 

Brian, I'll add eating a ghost chile to the list of things that I never need to experience. I'll stick to jalapenos, serrano and an occasional dash of Cayenne in a pot of soup or stew.

No need to venture into the 6 digits of the Scoville scale.. :evil: 

This is reminiscent of your "Snuff in Yer Eye" thread in that you're killing a sense! :lol: