Tasty Aromatics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelot55

Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions about a classic problem. Most of us love the taste of English and non-aromatic blends, but most of us also like the pipe smoke to smell good to others around us. Most aromatics are, in my opinion, simply flavourless. A good non-aromatic makes me salivate, anticipating the next puff. How can the two be combined? Must we always be forced between pleasing others and pleasing ourselves?

I've searched for a good crossover blend but haven't found one I like. They're usually closer to one extreme than the other. I did however, have some luck with my own blend. I mixed 50% PS Black Cavendish and 50% mixing Latakia. The result was something I like to call "Campfire Cavendish." I had a lovely room note, something that wouldn't send the girls screaming, but also satisfied the craving for some bold flavorful tobacco. I think Sillem's Black comes pretty close, but it burned me a bit. Any thoughts?

<a href='/u2386' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Ocelot55'>@Ocelot55</a>":hd593y5s said:
I wanted to get some opinions about a classic problem. Most of us love the taste of English and non-aromatic blends, but most of us also like the pipe smoke to smell good to others around us. Most aromatics are, in my opinion, simply flavourless. A good non-aromatic makes me salivate, anticipating the next puff. How can the two be combined? Must we always be forced between pleasing others and pleasing ourselves?

I've searched for a good crossover blend but haven't found one I like. They're usually closer to one extreme than the other. I did however, have some luck with my own blend. I mixed 50% PS Black Cavendish and 50% mixing Latakia. The result was something I like to call "Campfire Cavendish." I had a lovely room note, something that wouldn't send the girls screaming, but also satisfied the craving for some bold flavorful tobacco. I think Sillem's Black comes pretty close, but it burned me a bit. Any thoughts?
I'm personally not informed of a Lat heavy aro type blend/mixture but being a long time Balkan/Lat smoker I have found a nice all Virginia blend/mixture sold by smokingpipes.com. It's their B&M store blend done for them by C&D called Low Country Santee and has a nice light apple flavor and scent. It's made from red and bright Virginia's and smokes smooth and cool and slightly sweet as most Va's do and it has a nice soft spiced apple flavor in the background and aroma note in the room. I've found ladies really appreciate it and it is a blend/mixture I take with me when going "out" with freinds who are smokers and it does not seem to bother anyone. Not a big "in your face" Nheavy blend/mixture as is so wanted by all the younger guys here, rather a nice smooth, nuanced smoke :p

Like you, I have never found an aromatic I like as much as non-aromatics.

That said, Edward's Buccaneer and Edward's Toasted Cherry are a big step up from the typical black cavendish. They smell great and have quite a bit of tobacco flavor. The C&D black cavendish line (Espresso, Apricots & Cream, etc.) is pretty similar, though not quite as flavorful. I also have a home made blend which is pretty good, it is composed of 50% Edward's Toasted Cherry and 50% C&D Golden Ash.

That's sounds right up my alley. I might check these out. Thanks for the recommendations.

Hearth & Home Obsidian is pretty good. One of Russ Oulettes blends. Primarily black cavendish and latakia. Strange cut to it but once you catch on to the way it likes to be packed it burns nicely. Being disabled and on a small pension I don't like to waste tobacco and you can believe me, the Obsidian didn't get wasted.

<a href='/u2386' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Ocelot55'>@Ocelot55</a>":1pm2mg6u said:

I'd be tempted to also say Sillems Blacl, but the reality is that most non smokers are probably never going to be in love with the smell of latakia no matter how you dress it up so that's probably a lost cause. I'm not sure why folks find it so offensive. It reminds me of a campfire and that brings fond memories. It's not like nasty cigarette smoke. Ah well...

Anyway, I've been told that Marlin Flake, a VA non aromatic with a small amount of cavendish and perique, has a pleasant smell to it.

Adding to what aadelma saud, Edward's Scottish Moor is in this category. A mild vanilla room note but a solid tobacco taste for the smoker..

And like Rob said, I understand most Pete aros are pretty solid in toby taste but pleasant in room note, although I've not sampled any as yet..

<a href='/u1855' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: mike_68'>@mike_68</a>":vaw8ip75 said:
Adding to what aadelma saud, Edward's Scottish Moor is in this category. A mild vanilla room note but a solid tobacco taste for the smoker..

And like Rob said, I understand most Pete aros are pretty solid in toby taste but pleasant in room note, although I've not sampled any as yet..
I forgot about the Scottish Moor. It is a nice solid tobacco tasting aro along with another they make called Good Companion both of which I smoked years ago when I lived near an Edwards when I was starting to smoke a pipe. Got me to thinking I might have to get some to try again :p

Esoterica has a blend that is Margate topped with cognac. I forget which one it is but I'm sure its worth trying.

<a href='/u2243' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: monbla256'>@monbla256</a>":kv85iia7 said:
<a href='/u2386' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Ocelot55'>@Ocelot55</a>":kv85iia7 said:

I'm personally not informed of a Lat heavy aro type blend/mixture but being a long time Balkan/Lat smoker I have found a nice all Virginia blend/mixture sold by smokingpipes.com. It's their B&M store blend done for them by C&D called Low Country Santee and has a nice light apple flavor and scent. It's made from red and bright Virginia's and smokes smooth and cool and slightly sweet as most Va's do and it has a nice soft spiced apple flavor in the background and aroma note in the room. I've found ladies really appreciate it and it is a blend/mixture I take with me when going "out" with freinds who are smokers and it does not seem to bother anyone. Not a big "in your face" Nheavy blend/mixture as is so wanted by all the younger guys here, rather a nice smooth, nuanced smoke :p

And, if I may be so bold. :lol:Where might one procure some of said blend?

From smokingpipes.com on line or at there Low Country B&M store in South Carolina. In fact I just re-oredered 2 50g tins :p

I agree it is a kind of problem. When you want an acceptible room note and go to an aromatic, there is flavor, but too often very little substance. I think that's why the Brits developed their versions of aromatics...not the American style smelly, goopy stuff...but "scented" blends with a more than solid base of stout weed. Once the stuff has been ignited, most of the scent goes out as 'aroma' but not all that much goes into the flavor as it's smoked. Of course there are the super strong Lakeland florals, etc. but I really not referring to those. I'm talking about the ones that are middle ground blends like Rum Flake and Lousiana Flake and the Scottish Flake with the choco-blast thing going on. There are others of course. Then if you want to go up a notch, there's blends like Glengary, Dark Honeydew, etc., etc. If one doesn't really know that much about them, all you have to do is go over to the review site and use the advanced search engine and put in some perameters that make you happy and see what pops up...it's really kind of fun. I've discovered a number of excellent blends doing that.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search_advanced.cfm

I just did a search based on the following. It contains VA & Burley but no Latakia. Strength range from medium to strong. Taste range from med-full to full flavored. Room note from pleasant to very pleasant.

I got 16 matches...including, but not limited to: 841: 'Sha'are Orah' (Gates of Light) & 'Captain Bob's Pot O' Gold Mixture' - both C&D...4 Noggins 'Father Orin'...P&C 'Marquee Series: Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo'...'Rich Dark Honeydew' and 'Rumbh' from G&H...and Sutliff's 'Charlemagne'. If I opened the room note thing to tolerable/pleasant to very pleasant it came up with over 60.

Play with it. A pipe guy's toy.

I agree Blackhorse...I also use TR to help guide me. Having said that I sometimes have to wonder at the ratings and opinions of some of the folks on that site. I suspect a number of them are smoking more than merely tobacco... :lol:

Oh, and I can recommend Rum Flake. It's very tasty and different. They refer to it as the "birthday cake" of tobacco I believe which given the flavor I can sorta see that. It's not well thought of if I recall correctly...perhaps because it is a bit different...but that's never disuaded me. I like a change of pace.

G&H Rum Flake has a solid 3 out of 4 stars rating at the review site.

I'm not sure what the guys over there are smoking all in all...but I too wonder sometimes if it's the same stuff as me. Anyway, the wide variance in opinions regarding different blends is just proof to me of the site's validity...covering the entire spectrum of pipe smokers from brand new ignorant nimrods to wise old curmudgeonish sages and everything in between. Proof also of the wide range and differences in preferred styles and flavors, etc.

I haven't looked at the site recently but I could have sworn I saw a 2/4 about a year ago when I first took a look at it along with a run of bad reviews.

Of course, my memory has never been loaded with anything but blank cartrigages...

Again, I do like it. I'm not typically a big Brit baccy kinda guy, but I enjoyed Rum Cake...nothing else out there quite like it.

One of my current favorite Gawith & Hogwarts blends is the Lousiana Flake...an excellent VA/Per with excellent smoking characteristics once it's a little dry. Great flavors, great burn, just the teensiest bit of floral in the pouch aroma...no idea what the room note is like as i don't smoke anything inside. Well, I do once in a while in the Summer...set up a big box fan in the patio slider which is right off the Family Room where we have the big HD screen. It's kind of fun once in a while...but I hate to pull the heat out of the house the other 10 months of the year. lol

One blend that I keep finding on my searches that I've really wanted to try is the C&D "Cap't. Bob's Pot O' Gold" blend. It SOUNDS great...but is only available via C&D directly, and I haven't placed an order through them for a while. It's got everything I like and if anyone out there is planning an order, let me know.

I, too have been contemplating buying a high quality Aromatic lately just to have around to smoke when there may be a crowd who would be offended by English/Balkan blends. When I first started smoking a pipe, I remember enjoying Pipeworks&Wilke's #191. From what I remember, it is Virginia and Kentucky based and has a light honey/vanilla topping. It is a 4 star blend on tobaccoreviews.com and I don't remember it burning hot or goopy, nor do I remember the topping being too much as far as taking away from the Va and Kentucky. I DO remember people loving the aroma and the flavor being pleasant enough. I may buy some from Carole soon and perhaps I may mix it 50/50 with Gawith&Hoggarth's Kendal Kentucky to give it more ooomph. I will be sure to check back with a review of my mixture once I get some and play around with it. By the way, if you want to order from Carole, the website addy is www.vtpipes.com. I believe she is still recovering from a surgery, so turn-around time may not be super fast, but she is always great to deal with.

Best wishes,
Scott

Would you consider the GH Louisiana flake an aromatic? I do catch just a hint of the famous "essence" upon lighting, but it's gone as soon as the bowl gets going.