Tenon Grease...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSmoke

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
BoB:

Some of my tenons are very stubborn when removing from the pipe end of things. I have read stories over the heartbreak of tenon breakage. On the other hand, I don't want too loose a tenon.

I have heard of 2 solutions:

1) graphite from a pencil. Seems difficult to get enough on the tenon to make a difference
2) beeswax - I haven't tried this yet.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated before the heartbreak tenonitis occurs!

Steve

Personally I would try just a bit of wax on the tenon and this is probably something everyone has in there home. Knowing that automotive wax should never be put on our pipes I think it okay to just put a little on the outside of the tenon to try and loosen up your stem a little. Unless you have some 100% Caranuba wax or Paragon instead.

Cartaphilus":qpbiwlw0 said:
Personally I would try just a bit of wax on the tenon and this is probably something everyone has in there home. Knowing that automotive wax should never be put on our pipes I think it okay to just put a little on the outside of the tenon to try and loosen up your stem a little. Unless you have some 100% Caranuba wax or Paragon instead.
Wouldn't wax melt and make it stickier?

I'll check for carnuba in my modeling kit!

Steve

DrSmoke":ehgj5oqn said:
Cartaphilus":ehgj5oqn said:
Wouldn't wax melt and make it stickier?

I'll check for carnuba in my modeling kit!

Steve
The heat generated at the tenon/mortise should not be that hot.
Granted the wax on the outside of the pipe usually wears off from heat and constant handling but, if it's melting and getting sticky we have problems sir. ;)

I just rub the tenon on a candle- doesn't take much. If teh bit is 'squeaking' as i take it out i throw it in the freezer for a while, then rub the tenon on a candle. Good Luck. Al

I use beeswax or graphite. However, it can also happen that the tenon is just a slight amount larger than it should be. When that occurs, I take some fine sandpaper and twist the tenon, while pinching the sandpaper tightly against it. Careful here--not too much. The tenon should slip in with just the right amount of pressure.

I tend to favor the graphite for a tight tenon. If the fitment is very tight, adding a layer of wax could crack the shank. If it is tighter than graphite (I use powder) can fix, it needs a proper repair.

If you do go the "sanding the tenon" route, take care to stay away from the stem face.
You wouldn't want a tenon that fits perfectly, but a gap between the shank and stem.
Like ravkesef said: use fine sandpaper (I would say nothing rougher than 400 grit) and check the fit regularly.

I tried using the halcyon wax I use for polishing my bowls, worked great!