The 2012 forum POY is now ready for ordering.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
melahn52":xdla4uic said:
Thanks to PuffDaddy for getting this organized. It's much appreciated.
-Kevin
You'd better get one so I can live vicariously through it each time we get together. 8)

You'd better get one so I can live vicariously through it each time we get together. 8)[/quote]

Only one?

-Kevin

YOWZA!!

Just took delivery of the B&T today and BOY HOWDY is it ever a winner winner chicken dinner!!

bounce.gif

dance.gif

thumbs.gif

Great feel, very substantial in the hand and very thick bowl walls. Should be a real cool smoker. And the turned "Tan" section on the top of the bowl is beguiling - almost has an orange hue to it.

Cool amber stem with the Tinsky star which sets off the rusticated black body. And then there's the Buffalo horn ferrule which gives it character in the transition area.

:tongue:

Did I mention the airway is perfectly set into the center of the bottom of the bowl? And a pipe cleaner passes with ease. As it should.

:albino:

Hey-Suess Maria, I gots a feeling this is gonna become one of this dudes' favorites in short order.

:bball:

Now, what to break it in with? Hmmm...........

:drunken:

Hey you brothers, get to ordering this or the Coral Cave version. I'm truly impressed with Mark's work!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Certainly, Mark is known for making outstanding smokers!

I have one. A nice little Caldron shape in what I assume to be a Cabernet finish. Gorgeous little thing. Smokes like a dream. I guess it was an order filled for the now gone and greatly lamented BoB Brother - Ken. I'm very proud it has made its way here. But I sure would like one of those Black and Tan BoB POY's. A true classic.

And you got NUMBER ONE! Nice. :cheers:

Rob_In_MO":w6yafrfj said:
Hermit":w6yafrfj said:
Rob_In_MO":w6yafrfj said:
Yup, time to start saving up. 8)

Saving? You got a credit card dontcha? :twisted:

Yes I do, but I also have a wife - who wouldn't see the benefit in a transaction like this. I think it's a great deal, but to keep the peace I have to convince her of that - especially with the holidays coming up. :santa:
Spoken like a married man who wants to stay married... excellent.

The twins have arrived!

My BOB POYs arrived in the post yesterday, and I thought the Brothers like to see 'em. They are both stout pipes, with real weight. The horn ferrule has subtle differences between the two.The nomenclature is the name of the design (B&T or Coral) the date in mall script, and BOB FORUM below. I'll break each in over the coming days, likely with a favorite tobak such as H&H Magnum Opus, or Esoterica Penzance.

-Kevin

It's a good thing we have until the end of the year to order them - it's gonna take me that long to figure out which I want more. I'm not sure I want to set aside the funds for both, and as I've nearly doubled my pipe collection in the last year (and have one commission waiting in the wings) I'm not sure how much more PAD the missus is going to tolerate.

At first, I was all about the B&T; then I really started eyeballing the coral. Now, seeing them side by side, I almost just want to flip a coin!

melahn52":setuc926 said:
The twins have arrived!

My BOB POYs arrived in the post yesterday, and I thought the Brothers like to see 'em. They are both stout pipes, with real weight. The horn ferrule has subtle differences between the two.The nomenclature is the name of the design (B&T or Coral) the date in mall script, and BOB FORUM below. I'll break each in over the coming days, likely with a favorite tobak such as H&H Magnum Opus, or Esoterica Penzance.

-Kevin
Nice Kevin, nice. You got both versions, something I was agonizing about as I liked them both but the B&T won out.

Looking at the B&T you got, it appears the shank is smooth where mine is rusticated like the original version-

BOB_2012_BT.jpg

Did you request this? Just curious, as it looks good but is not the same as mine. Ya, I'm a nosy bassard....

:p

And it appears you may have gotten the original Coral since no one else has chimed in.

This Tinsky is my very first and probably won't be my last either. Great pick-ups bro.

Cheers,

RR

I have to admit, the smooth shank makes that pipe so much sexier. The rusticated was nice, but the smooth is sexy. It's like comparing Ann-Margret and Sophia Loren.

When Mark makes a B&T he usually rusticates where the briar tells him to, and divides up the rusticated and smooth portions to showcase the briar best. The individual B&T pieces in a specific shape are often quite different. You got a couple of great lookers there :)

Brewdude-
No, I did not request anything special from Mark Tinsky. My only comms with Mark was his acknowledgement of my initial order, and the estimate for delivery time, which was spot on.

I'm quite pleased with them both. The photos don't do justiice to the 'presence' these pipes have. They definately make a statement.
- Kevin

Puff Daddy":yq8xbd6n said:
When Mark makes a B&T he usually rusticates where the briar tells him to, and divides up the rusticated and smooth portions to showcase the briar best. The individual B&T pieces in a specific shape are often quite different. You got a couple of great lookers there :)
Ah, I see now. Thanks for the clarification PD.

Cheers,

RR

I think I'll wait til next month;
estimated taxes are due Monday. :x
Actually, I could pay late, due to Isaac,
but I still have to pay, so why put it off.

I just weighed mine on my small digital eletronic scale and it was 85.0 gm (about 3.0 oz.). It has not only a 'presence' it has some heft! Feels great in the hand, smokes like a champ. A real winner all the way around.