The beginning of the end?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CACooper

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I just received this email from the IPCPR (RTDA). The FDA is going to start regulating "other tobacco products". It doesn't look good for pipe tobacco and cigars.

Once Again, the FDA Announces Their Intent to Issue Regulations on Cigars/Pipe Tobacco

IPCPR recently learned of an announcement by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on the Federal Business Opportunities website (www.fbo.gov). On that site, the FDA states they intend to issue a "deeming regulation" during summer 2012 to cover other tobacco products. This statement by the FDA was included as a part of a solicitation announcement in which the agency is seeking a contractor to identify a list of all tobacco product advertisements in the United States. We found it interesting that this was never mentioned in any of the routine updates from the Center for Tobacco Products or other FDA reports.

Specifically, in the "Background" section of the solicitation announcement, the FDA states as follows:

"On June 22, 2009, the President signed the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (Tobacco Control Act) into law (Public Law 111-31). The Tobacco Control Act amended the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (Act) and granted the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authority to regulate the manufacture, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products. Currently, FDA regulates the following tobacco products: cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco. See Section 901(b) of the Act.

The Act allows FDA to issue regulations asserting jurisdiction over other tobacco products, such as cigars, cigarillos, e-cigarettes, and hookahs, among others. FDA expects to issue a deeming regulation in summer 2012 to cover other tobacco products."

A deeming regulation is a proposed regulation that would include products meeting the definition of a "tobacco product" under the Tobacco Control Act to be subject to the FDA's jurisdiction. The Tobacco Control Act defines a "tobacco product" as meaning "any product made or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption, including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product (except for raw materials other than tobacco used in manufacturing a component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product)."

This means the FDA plans to issue sometime this summer a proposed regulation covering other tobacco products such as cigars, cigarillos, e-cigarettes, hookahs and possibly other tobacco products. The extent of the proposed regulation is not currently known, but the law requires it be published in the Federal Register when released by the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products.

I'll say it again. Start cellaring your favorites. NOW!

No cheers,

CACooper

:x AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! :x

I have just about lost faith in this country. Of course we all saw this coming, regardless of how many people made a stink. I am so sick of this nanny state garbage!

Ultimately I'm not angry; I'm saddened. We are losing one of the fundamental values this nation was founded on: freedom. And that, brothers, is a tragedy. :(

I am. I'm angry as &%$#. Maybe if I lived in Texas I wouldn't be as angry. But here I am in the nanniest of the nanny states, unfortunately knowing what is coming for the rest of you. If you're not angry now, wait a couple of years and you will be. I gaurantee it.

Sorry guys. This isn't aimed at pipe guys. It's aimed at e-cigs. But your going to be caught in the cross fire.
It went into the planning stages shortly after a successful court battle Casaa waged against the FDA in which the FDA had zero right to regulate the emerging ( and growing at a mind numbing rate.. Walmart has sold ecigs for several months now, that should tell ya something) ecig industry.

Yeah....how are ecigs a tobacco product. I actually take an ecig with me when I'm gonna throw some beers back and a pipe or cigar isn't the most expedient way to put nicotine into my system.

So my guess is the govt feels like ecigs are going to cut into their tax revenue from cigarettes and they want ecigs to be taxed. Actually that's not a guess...thats what it is, I'm sure of it. Very transparent.

Actually they tried an outright ban... Then commanded customs to hold them at the border.. Then apparently got the Post Office in the deal sending EVERY ecig order to Arizona.

The Ban is out of the equation though. Lorillard (Newport) bought Blu. Reportedly RJ Reynolds is developing.. And Altria (Phillip Morris, Middleton, et al) is trying to buy Ruyan (the creators of ecigs and a joint patent holder with Blu)
Big Tobacco is in the game. Gonna raise the rates, but not as much as if Big Pharm had their way and got it.

And it our own damn fault. We didn't fight for the cigarette smokers, who didn't fight for the dippers, who didn't fight for the pipers, who won't fight for the ecigs, who won't fight for the cigarette user. Divide and conquer. Still works.

It does still work. Unfortunately as long as we all have the "I can't see it from my house" attitude it will always work.

I actually have a question about ecigs. I have 2 Nicotek batteries. Will other companies's cartomizers work with my batteries as long as the connector is the same? I assume they will unless the other companies tune their carts for a different electrical flow or something?

I know from other posts you've been "smoking" ecigs. Which ones do you find the best? I've only tried Nicotek.

I am unfamiliar with nicoTek. But I bett money it's a standard 510,801,808 connection. It's as simple a manner as figuring that out an buying cartomizers with that connection.

I started on a 510t. A cig style ecig with a small tank on the end.
Then a Chuck with boge cartomizers
Then purchased a lavatube, using boge cartomizers.
Then a Reo mini with the boges.
Then a Reo grand with 306 Atties.
The just for giggles I bought a Copper.. Sucked.
Then just for a giggle I bought an eGo. Usually people second step. Dead simple. Frost uses one too.

I still use my Reo every Now and then but it's mostly the eGo with a eGo Vision clearomizer.

If I was to suggest I'd get this.
http://www.hoosierecig.com/KGO-kit-1100mAh-by-SLB_p_10.html
Toss the atomizers, and such in a draw an put this on it. http://www.hoosierecig.com/EGO-Vision-clearomizers-25-29ohm_p_91.html
And fill it with this. http://www.hoosierecig.com/Dekang-E-Juice-18mg_p_78.html

Edit in. Nicotek uses a RN4081 cartomizer. Same thing as an Njoy.
You can buy empty ones http://www.madvapes.com/Smok-Tech-17-ohm-RN4081-Cartomizers_p_3246.html or http://www.vaporkings.com/RN4081-NPRO-SmokingEverywhere-Gold-Atomizer-4081-p/4081-cartomizer-blank.html and fill them with your own juice a hell of a lot cheaper. Each carto should last for about a week of refilling.

Off topic but I just realized alot of my typos are hillbilly bonocs.
A draw. You'd call it a drawer.

Ocelot55":apwmrsh9 said:
:x AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! :x

I have just about lost faith in this country. Of course we all saw this coming, regardless of how many people made a stink. I am so sick of this nanny state garbage!

Ultimately I'm not angry; I'm saddened. We are losing one of the fundamental values this nation was founded on: freedom. And that, brothers, is a tragedy. :(

+1000

likewhatyoulike.jpg

This is why I try and buy from my local B&M rather than online. Before long the few real tobacconists in the UK will be gone, everything will be online. And enjoying smoking even in open public spaces will become harder and harder.

So enjoy 'em while you still can folks.

Totally sucks, but not surprising either.

I signed the petition as did many of us.

But a trifling amount of pipe or cigar smokers aren't going to make any difference to these anti-smoking talking heads, nanny-state libs, SFB politicians who kowtow to their masters.

I guess I thought there might be some hope for logical decisions but it seems like the propaganda that it shoved down our throats will be the new agenda. And while the legislation on OTP isn't even out yet I fear for the worst.

You know it, I know it.

And before I go into a rant I'll stop here before this gets this moved to the RR (where I'm not approved and have no interest in).

JMO

Cheers,

RR

authority to regulate the manufacture, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products
Maybe I am reading too much into this, but it sounds like it would be illegal to grow your own tobacco without FDA approval/permitting/taxing. :no:

It would be nice to time-travel a few of our founding fathers back into Washington.

J Soshae":8qb4n4gt said:
authority to regulate the manufacture, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products
Maybe I am reading too much into this, but it sounds like it would be illegal to grow your own tobacco without FDA approval/permitting/taxing. :no:

It would be nice to time-travel a few of our founding fathers back into Washington.
Time travel would be wonderful. Let's travel back to, say, maybe 1946, right after WW2. That would allow us to re-live the 1950's, the true golden age of pipe smoking in America.

I asked my 84 year-old father which decade was the best time to be alive - and he said, without hesitation, "the '50's". Nuff said.

Life is so boring now. :(

No cheers,

CACooper

It may just be me, but I just do not see the US Government ever regulating Tobacco into extinction. They make too much money off it in Taxes and other regulatory fees. It's been one of Americas number one exports for almost as long as there has been an America.

The 'Paper Barons' managed to get Hemp production regulated out of existence.

First they came for the hemp growers,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a hemp grower.

Then they came for the cigarette smokers,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a cigarette smoker.

Then they came for the e-cigs,
and I didn't speak out because I didn't smoke e-cigs.

Then they came for my pipe
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

:cry:

I know Randolph Hurst was mainly behind getting Hemp outlawed, but additionally when He did it, he replaced it with cheap disposable paper, and nylon was developed to replace hemp rope, and rayon and other synthetics. A lot of synthetics were developed to replace the Hemp counterparts. I do not see any alternatives being offered if they outlaw or over regulate Tobacco products. If they outlaw it outright with no alternatives, then they lose the tax revenue stream. I just never see the Government giving up a taxable commodity. All they will do, if they regulate it, is create the same environment that is present with "The War on Drugs." Then when that happens they've created another bootleg economy, with millions of ready built addicts that they've allowed to be created by profiting via Taxes on Tobacco.