The best pipe makers in the world!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Day All;

Paolo's work is indeed unqiue and his own style. There are a few others whose "style" can be picked out from across a room.

Maurizio Tombari - Le Nuvole Pipes.

Larry Roush - Roush Pipes

Regards
Michael J. Glukler

Michail Revyagin - hands-down, for me.

When I first came across his pipes, I didn't know what to think. He takes art and "artisan" to a whole different realm. He both overdoes and totally abandons traditional approach with carving. I'd doubt half of his pipes are comfortably smokable. His creations, however, beg to be discussed, considered, looked at and yes, even dismissed: he's extremely unique in the pipe world.

I went to Quality Briar and checked out all their stars but didn't come up with a name. I've spent a good bit of time there and on other sites ogling the pipes of the hallowed pipe greats over the last 2 or 3 months; but came up dry today.

But then I read Puff Daddy's post and must agree:

S Bang
Rolando Negoita

I'm incapable of picking one here. There are so many brilliant artisans out there who have immediately recognizable work that I'm just gonna throw down a list.

<table border="1"><tr><td>Highest Level</td><td>Second Level</td><td>Up & Commers</td></tr><tr><td>Michael Revyagin </td><td>Peter Heeschen </td><td>Thomas James Richards </td></tr><tr><td>Lars Ivarsson </td><td>Premal Chedda </td><td>Adam Remington </td></tr><tr><td>Nanna Ivarsson </td><td>Will Purdy </td><td>Scott Klein </td></tr><tr><td>Jess Chonowitz </td><td>Bruce Weaver </td><td>Kevin Arthur </td></tr><tr><td>Former </td><td>Rad Davis </td><td>Chris Askwith </td></tr><tr><td>S Bang </td><td>Sergey Ailarov </td><td>Wayne Teipen </td></tr><tr><td>Tom Eltang </td><td>Gregor Lobnik </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Love Geiger </td><td>Paul Hubartt </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Sarah Geiger </td><td>Brian Ruthenberg </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Alex Florov </td><td>Trevor Talbert </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Paolo Becker </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>J. Alan </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Bengt Carlson </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Vladimir Grechukhin </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Hiroyuki Tokutomi </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Jody Davis </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>JT Cooke </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Tonni Nielsen </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr></table>
There are many others that didn't get mentioned here and I ask their forgiveness. Admittedly, I did have to look up some of these names, but I stuck to what popped into my head.

Now that I've made this list, I think if I had to pick just one, it'd be Lars or Nanna Ivarsson. Now this is a tough decision... I'm gonna give it to Lars 'cause he's got years of experience on Nanna.

It's a nice paradox: as the number of big manufacturers have declined, craft work has picked up, making this a more interesting hobby overall. Not that'd I'd turn my nose up a nice Dunnie. :)

I'd definitely say Tom Eltang has some of the most recognizable work for me but pretty much everyone mentioned fits in that category perfectly.

UberHuberMan":f7c6a5bp said:
I'm incapable of picking one here. There are so many brilliant artisans out there who have immediately recognizable work that I'm just gonna throw down a list.

<table border="1"><tr><td>Highest Level</td><td>Second Level</td><td>Up & Commers</td></tr><tr><td>Michael Revyagin </td><td>Peter Heeschen </td><td>Thomas James Richards </td></tr><tr><td>Lars Ivarsson </td><td>Premal Chedda </td><td>Adam Remington </td></tr><tr><td>Nanna Ivarsson </td><td>Will Purdy </td><td>Scott Klein </td></tr><tr><td>Jess Chonowitz </td><td>Bruce Weaver </td><td>Kevin Arthur </td></tr><tr><td>Former </td><td>Rad Davis </td><td>Chris Askwith </td></tr><tr><td>S Bang </td><td>Sergey Ailarov </td><td>Wayne Teipen </td></tr><tr><td>Tom Eltang </td><td>Gregor Lobnik </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Love Geiger </td><td>Paul Hubartt </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Sarah Geiger </td><td>Brian Ruthenberg </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Alex Florov </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Paolo Becker </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>J. Alan </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Bengt Carlson </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Vladimir Grechukhin </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Hiroyuki Tokutomi </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Jody Davis </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>JT Cooke </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Tonni Nielsen </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr></table>
There are many others that didn't get mentioned here and I ask their forgiveness. Admittedly, I did have to look up some of these names, but I stuck to what popped into my head.

Now that I've made this list, I think if I had to pick just one, it'd be Lars or Nanna Ivarsson. Now this is a tough decision... I'm gonna give it to Lars 'cause he's got years of experience on Nanna.
I think Trevor Talbert belongs in the up and comer or 2nd level category

Boxerbuddy":50bvchbo said:
I think Trevor Talbert belongs in the up and comer or 2nd level category
I agree. Updated the chart to reflect that. :)

Not having smoked a pipe from
every carver, this is subjective...
For me, it's Rad.
His graceful shapes and beautiful blasts
are exactly what I love in a pipe. Of
course, it helps that they are perfectly
engineered and all smoke great.

Maksim Nazarenko is the one of the most technically sound and Misha Revyagin is probably the most artistic.

Bill Shalosky makes an amazing pipe; his technical ability is as good as it gets and he's really coming into his own as an artist.

I've been on Rad's site off and on for a couple of days....his sandblasts are just awesome

I propose a title for Rad

I think his new title should be...................................MASTER BLASTER!

Boxerbuddy":3cz6fgp4 said:
I've been on Rad's site off and on for a couple of days....his sandblasts are just awesome

I propose a title for Rad

I think his new title should be...................................MASTER BLASTER!
All but one of my Rads are blasts, plus four of my Tinskys that Rad blasted.
I love that Tinsky bulldog with the Rad blast that I just got.
He has a touch and a sense of how much is just right.
I'm also a big fan of Brian Ruthenberg's blasts.

I've always admired the work of both Tom Eltang and Tonni Nielsen...hoping to add one or both to my collection in '12.