The Bite Zone

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A non issue for me, either. If you asked which of my pipes has the most comfortable bit I couldn't tell you.

I should restate, I have one pipe that when smoked I notice the size of the stem and its taper. All of my other pipes are not noticeable in that regard. I found it annoying.

And, I don't clench.

For me, its not as big of an issue as weight/length, but it is an issue. I have one that is too narrow and actually hurts my teeth, and one that's too wide, so wide that I can't draw properly unless I hold the pipe in my hand. As long as its within the appropriate tolerances, I'm not too picky.

It's about as I thought, then.

I wonder if our pipe-making contingent is taking notes or revising its beliefs about what factors into how we really evaluate their work (?)

:face:

Nope not a big deal. I kind of like it a big button because I clench and I'm clumsy. So big buttons help keep the pipe in my mouth as I BS around. I also like the smooth hard feel of acrylic, but I own small buttoned vulcanite pipes I smoke fairly regularly.

Yak":of2xwb6r said:
It's about as I thought, then.

I wonder if our pipe-making contingent is taking notes or revising its beliefs about what factors into how we really evaluate their work (?)

Do you mean will we decide to pay less attention to what we're doing? :lol:

Every pipe maker has certain standards that he wants his pipes to meet, and one of those (for me) is a thin, comfortable bit. If it doesn't make a difference to a customer, that's fine, but it makes a difference to me, and I'm the one making the pipe and putting my name on it. Also, if a customer wants a thick, uncomfortable bit, most makers can easily accommodate them. ;)

Believe me, the bit comfort makes a difference to a lot of pipe smokers out there. I know not everyone cares, but enough do to make worth a maker's while to make the bit as comfortable as he can on every pipe.

To answer your question, Yak, no, I'm not revising my beliefs about how my work is evaluated. I don't make pipes to please those who don't care about bit comfort, but to please those who do. And it's easier on me to make them all the same way. :)

Rad

"Oh, my gosh, Becky....look at the size of that bit. It's so thin. I mean, it looks like one of those artisan guy's bits. "

I like thin BITS and I can not lie, those other pipers can't deny....

Yeah, I like thin bits. I'm not saying a thin bit is the only way to go, but I find them much more comfortable. I actually use a micrometer on all of my bits to make sure I'm making them the right thickness. A lot of pipe makers do. Seeing that the majority of pipes I smoke are my own rejects, when I occasionally load up my Kings Cross for example, the difference in thickness is very noticeable. I feel like I've got a stick in my mouth with my KC.

Growley":twfzj27x said:
"Oh, my gosh, Becky....look at the size of that bit. It's so thin. I mean, it looks like one of those artisan guy's bits. "

I like thin BITS and I can not lie, those other pipers can't deny....
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I tend to be a clencher so to protect the stem I put on the softies. Don't really like how they look, but I rather have a stem stay in good condition. Stem thickness has not been an issue yet.

Rad Davis":9m0ukf6c said:
I don't make pipes to please those who don't care about bit comfort, but to please those who do. And it's easier on me to make them all the same way. :)
Good on ya, Rad. :)

Fortunately, what usually makes a pipe bit uncomfortable, for the few that may come across this due to their own persnickety nature or the fact the maker totally missed the boat when it came to attention to the stem--it can be fixed. Material can always be shaved off by someone in-the-know; because thickness (at least to me) seems to be the key area that a bit can be uncomfortable. Perhaps the button, too--I've yet to find a button too intrusive/wide/cut oddly to enjoy a smoke, but I've seen pictures of some guys' work that made me wonder. Take the Peterson P-lip dividing issue, for example.

Don't be surprised if I contact someone about thinning down my meers' stems, as they've been the only ones I've ever halfway considered less than ergonomic for clenching.

A couple of high quality jeweler's files and a little micromesh (3200) will fix that if it's an issue.

There's a LOT of material on my meer stems, and I'd be afraid of doing a real hack job of it all, with lack of buffing wheel to get 'em shiny (which the texture might make 'em feel worse than occasionally thinking, "...these are just too thick."), never mind them being obviously reshaped by amateur hands. :lol: I'd know the difference in the end, and hell hath no fury like a Weiss obsessed. :lol:

Meh.

Since you don't seem to be checking your PMs :

:face: ":018om0gr said:
How did a general question about how many people much notice bite zones turn into an attempt by me to tell you how to make pipes ? :scratch:

No.

But I can tell the difference. I usually clench, even with heavier handmade pipes.

Gonna "contradict myself" here. Revise previous.

Just smoked the old Comoy patent billiard that Jesse (Oscelot88) made a new stem for & touched up for me.

That guy makes a strikingly comfortable stem. No two ways about it. I don't notice stems much, but I do notice his now that I've smoked one.

FWIW

Yak":zn3kesnz said:
William Salchow":zn3kesnz said:
The bow is not made with the tools ;
the bow is made with the mind.
Plan the work.

Then work the plan.

Yeah, yeah. :lol: Problem is, my plan and expectations might exceed the hand that applies. *sigh* When I get a few more tools and gumption. We shall see. Until then, they stay thick.

That's all part of the plan.

You learn the way elbows & wrists screw up intentions, learn to compensate for that, & you're off to the races.

Trying to flat file going away from you, you will naturally catch the leading edge & roll up & over it at the start of your file stroke, and roll down & off the far edge at the end of it. So you learn to keep your file dead horizontal and use it with a 3:00-to-9:00 counterclockwise delivery. Down and on to begin ; up & off at the end.

Learn to flat-file, get good at it, and you can pick up a piece of steel you've filed flat with the vacuum formed by laying another one you've done down on it. Done it.

You can too.

Nobody's born knowing how to use hand tools. Or stuff like that if you go back and forth with sandpaper you are NOT leveling something, but digging a hole in it instead.

Yak, you're speaking to me as if I'm unable to figure out such an endeavor. I'm quite capable. I have 34 keen years of breaking enough stuff to figure out how to fix 'em. I get it. There's a "irritation-to-need-to-fix" ratio that hasn't been achieved yet with these pesky stems. On a scale of one to ten, the irritation factor of my thick meer stems is about a two. The irritation factor of, with tools and space on hand, to get the stems to my satisfaction (this is the planning part I've considered; framed with beyond-perfection of the finished product) would be about an eight. Therefore, until I get the tools to fit the plan, I'm not gonna irritate myself further with the process to overcome a lesser/minor irritation that started the idea.

There's a few more pressing life issues at the current moment that could use the attention the time, energy and frustration fuel--believe me. Back-burner it goes. :) But the day shall come. You'll be the first to know.