The briar cigar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't talked with anyone who has smoked one, but I would be concerned that there could be burnout issues while trying to get the briar seasoned during the breaking in process.

For the $150 price tag tho, I would love to have one in my collection!

I understand you are supposed to rotate the cigar while smoking to avoid burnouts. That's why the mouthpiece is circular.

I tend to think it's an interesting design and a low cost way to get a reverse-calabash type of pipe, which will interest a lot of people. But ultimately it feels like too much of a gimmick to me. I'd be more likely to buy something with a similar design if it wasn't dressed up to look like a cigar.

But I understand why they're selling so well at the moment. I haven't smoked any kind of reverse-calabash pipe so I can't say whether the current hype is justified.

I agree about it feeling gimmicky. I would rather have a cigar at that point.

If you want to smoke a cigar, buy a cigar and smoke it ! If you want to smoke a pipe smoke a pipe ! It's kinda like "... virgin Naugahyde" :p

Our Tinder Box has five of those things in the glass case. They're kind of the butt of many a joke there, pipesters think they're silly and cigar smokers think they're...well...not a cigar. :lol:

The workers joke around saying the only way they'll sell is by putting a "for display only" sign on them making them "unobtainium." :p

8)

Chris Morgan hasn't been able to keep up with the demand for these. These are similiar to the vest pipe of old, i.e., filling the same need.

Besides looking somewhat snappy and cool, vest pipes are about as awful as pipes get, usage-wise.

And briar cigars look like turd-colored granola with a mouthpiece. :lol:

Are people truly buying these?

8)

Kyle Weiss":rqpf7ak9 said:
Besides looking somewhat snappy and cool, vest pipes are about as awful as pipes get, usage-wise.

And briar cigars look like turd-colored granola with a mouthpiece. :lol:

Are people truly buying these?

8)
Who would admit to it now??? :lol!:

You'd be surprised how cheeky the Internet might make someone who has a hefty collection of these and would jump at the chance to go contrary to snotty naysayers like myself. :lol:

Truthfully, I'd like to know if they really work all that well. Even if they do, I still ain't buyin' one. That's two nicely-priced Petes, a couple of Savinelli pipes, or a budget "artisan" pipe, cost-for-cost.

8)

People are buying these and I can see why. You prepare your tobacco, load it up, cap it and go. When you are ready for a break its a quick smoke that is already prepared and its a reverse calabash to boot... if that tickles your fancy.

i would get one... if it was priced better. im a sucker for novelty pipes.

also, in response to kyle, I have a vest pipe and it gives me nothing but good smokes whenever i use it. its a savinelli, so that may have something to do with it.

nogbert":daz8ejae said:
i would get one... if it was priced better. im a sucker for novelty pipes.

also, in response to kyle, I have a vest pipe and it gives me nothing but good smokes whenever i use it. its a savinelli, so that may have something to do with it.
Don't forget the Zeppelin pipes...those are funky mambajambas. Kind of makes me wonder if this is where the cigar pipe got the idea...

...anyway, the one vest pipe I had I gave away, whimsical $5 junk store purchase. Awful, awful, awful. It wasn't a Sav.

8)

Interesting comments. I've been smoking one for a while, and it's actually quite pleasant. It took a very short while to get used to how best to fill it, light it, smoke it, but I actually quite enjoy the little thing. It's not like smoking a cigar, and it's not meant to be. It's not quite like smoking a pipe, either. The mouthpiece is round, not flat, and it's meant to be turned whilst smoking to help keep the heat even. The double chamber design provides a very cool smoke that's not as muted as a conventional calabash.

I was a bit skeptical when Chris first told me about it, and I still don't think it's for everyone, but it's a well thought out and well executed product that offers another way of enjoying our beloved leaf. It sure ain't no Zeppelin.

I'm probably still going to poke fun at them, Greg. Fellas don't have much to do around here. :p

The good news is: they apparently smoke okay. Are they smoked with that black "mock ash/cherry" cap on the end?

Zeppelins look like a weapon, which is cool, and rhymes.

8)

Kyle Weiss":rod36rk5 said:
I'm probably still going to poke fun at them, Greg. Fellas don't have much to do around here. :p

The good news is: they apparently smoke okay. Are they smoked with that black "mock ash/cherry" cap on the end?

Zeppelins look like a weapon, which is cool, and rhymes.

8)
Zeppelins can be filled with gunpowder, and...

The end cap of the briar cigar is just for keeping the tobacco in when it's loaded, or the ash in when it's not, and is removed for smoking. After responding to this thread last night, I smoked mine with some old Benson & Hedges Finest Smoking Mixture, and it was very pleasant. I see it as a convenient way to take a bowl of tobacco out with me without having to take the whole kit. I can pre-fill, drop it in a pocket with a tamper and a box-o-lucifers (matches really used to be called that), and go.

The reality is that it solves a problem that may not exist in many locales, onaccounta you can't smoke anything anywhere. Sadly, there's no way to build a device to whack sense into the idiots that are making the world safe "for the children." (I don't see many children in bars, these days. Maybe if they'd let the obnoxious kids start drinking earlier it would improve their dispositions, with the result of making their parents less sphincter-tight so they wouldn't constantly seek out ways to rain on others' parades. Smoking laws are clearly simply a result of spoilt children driving their parents barking mad.*)

*This is meant to be stupidly ironic, of course, but this sort of "argument" is not flung far from the sort of conclusion-hopscotch employed by so many of the antis, and has as much, if not more cogency. *grumble*

:lol: Cantankerous much, as of late, Greg? :cheers: Too true, though.

"Sense Beaten Into Anti-Tobacco Crowd With Zeppelin Pipe." A headline I wish I would see.

8)