The Center Punch Technique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
I've never read about this technique, but I first discovered it when I had packed a bowl too tightly, and was too lazy to dump the bowl and repack.

Do any of you guys ever use your pick to punch a hole down the center of your tobacco, to create a funneled airway? Once the airway is developed, the fire can't help but go where the majority of the oxygen is present.

Once I discovered this method, I started using it frequently, because it creates an even center burn, and keeps the heat off the rim of my pipes. Some pipes I could care less if they get slightly charred, but others I am a fanatic about. Specifically the expensive ones! Lol

I have found that using this method creates an even burn from the center, yet still builds a cake evenly on the walls of the bowl. Best of all, it allows me to barely light my tobacco, allowing me to taste maximum flavor, while maintaining minimum tongue bite.

So, are you doing this from the get go, just stabbing a hole in the middle of your tobacco, tightly packed or not?

I'll have to try this, I'm still having issues with keeping mine lit for long periods.

Yeah, I have started doing it with every bowl I smoke. Another bonus is it allows you to pack maximum tobacco into the bowl for a longer smoke.

I have found the technique particularly useful in bulldogs, pots, and chimney design bowls where airflow is less than optimal.

I've used this technique, when the tobacco is too tight in the bowl, and have been pleased with the results. I smoke flakes, almost exclusively, and this cuts down on re-lights and makes for a more enjoyable smoke session.

Interesting. You use the probe of the Czech Pipe Tool ?

All packing strategies boil down to either a tight perimeter and a loose center or
a loose perimeter and a tight center.

Either one should work fine.

Gonna try your trick next time there's a call for it.

:face:

I do indeed have to "punch the center" once in a while with the Czech tool probe. It does work. There's a few really flat-leafed tobaccos that all seem to manage to sandwich horizontally onto one another. Jackknife Plug cut a little too thick and rubbed out a tad too much, for example. A lot of GL Pease tobaccos seem to be laid out almost too perfectly when they're pressed...

...there's also times when the "center punch" requires a little different tamping technique, where I angle the tamp and only lightly tamp down the edges, so not to defeat the air flow I've created.

Glad you brought that up, and that there's now a name for it. :lol:

8)

It hasn't always worked for me, but seems to more often than not! Now I have an name for it!

This sounds like something worth trying. I found myself prying at the side of the bowl this past week on a bowl that was a tad tight. It is ok to teach this old dog new tricks. :elephant:

Cool idea. I'm going to have to give this one a shot and I'll report back. A toothpick might work too for the Czechtool-less.

MisterE":szq6oofl said:
Cool idea. I'm going to have to give this one a shot and I'll report back. A toothpick might work too for the Czechtool-less.
In lazier moments I've been known to use a pipe cleaner... I'm kind of a "pipe nail" kind of guy, I don't drag out the Czech tools too often. 8)

The probe is the one redeeming feature of the CPT.

Otherwise, pipe nails rule. They're ideal for dressing the walls after each smoke, keeping the cake even and dense.

When I use this technique, it's usually because my air flow test isn't right. So I usually punch one in the center, once near the front, and once near the back, finally retesting the airflow. I agree that it seems to work quite well. I generally only unpack if I have decided a different pipe would be better.

Yak":z8wxjv1z said:
The probe is the one redeeming feature of the CPT.

Otherwise, pipe nails rule. They're ideal for dressing the walls after each smoke, keeping the cake even and dense.

See, and I thought I was just being weird. I like the "edge" on the pipe nail because I can manage the cake day-by-day, knock down stubborn dottle, etc. The spoon on the Czech tool just didn't do it for me.

I just tried this with a Charatan Canadian and some Bullseye flake. Both known quantities so I could get a feeling for it.

I packed it up and then poked a hole through the center with a toothpick (count me among the Czechtool-less). It lit quite readily, and the combustion area remained in the center, as predicted. Interestingly enough, it smoked rather hot. The pipe itself was quite cool, but the smoke was significantly hotter than usual. I think the venturi effect concentrated the airstream and the added velocity caused the hotter burn. I'll give it another go later and see how it works. Perhaps I'll have more success purposefully packing it too tight.

All in the name of science.

Kyle Weiss":45noq4xx said:
MisterE":45noq4xx said:
In lazier moments I've been known to use a pipe cleaner... I'm kind of a "pipe nail" kind of guy, I don't drag out the Czech tools too often. 8)

LOL! I've used a pipe nail to do this as well! Excellent results :lol!:

MisterE":2luycasf said:
I just tried this with a Charatan Canadian and some Bullseye flake. Both known quantities so I could get a feeling for it.

I packed it up and then poked a hole through the center with a toothpick (count me among the Czechtool-less). It lit quite readily, and the combustion area remained in the center, as predicted. Interestingly enough, it smoked rather hot. The pipe itself was quite cool, but the smoke was significantly hotter than usual. I think the venturi effect concentrated the airstream and the added velocity caused the hotter burn. I'll give it another go later and see how it works. Perhaps I'll have more success purposefully packing it too tight.

Try smoking slower

Yak":lsvrydt7 said:
Interesting. You use the probe of the Czech Pipe Tool ?
Yak, yes I'll admit to using the Czech pipe tool when I am in my truck, but I use this tamper most of the time when I am at home.

DSC00155.jpg

MisterE":lsvrydt7 said:

Mister E, if your bowl is packed fairly loose, burning hotter should occur. You can either tamp down tighter as you draw thru the pipe to adjust for this, or pack your bowl a little tighter than usual when you first load the pipe.

What I like most about this technique, is the controlled burn in the center, which better maintains the value of my higher grade pipes.

Tried this a couple nights ago, concluding that I must not be doing it properly.

A lot of times the problem with smoking flake-style tobacco (however prepared)
is that it wants to burn down the center anyway ; it isn't until about the halfway
point that the stuff around the periphery's toasted crunchy enough to fold over
and stay (re-)lit. That's when the good part comes.

This it-doesn't-want-to-stay-evenly-lit problem is why I suspect (disagreement
notwithstanding) that apples, princes, bent/straight bulldogs &c
are "flake pipes" is that their typical bore diameters (back before people started
getting "creative" with them) ran around 11/16" - 13/16," minimising this.

Whatever.

There's been a thread running on this for some time on the pipe forum I moderate. We've all tried it with the vast majority finding it successful and making a switch to this method, including me. Inevitably there will be a cut it won't work as well with, and flakes might well fit the bill. It certainly gives me a one light smoke most of the time and we've all agreed it seems to release tobacco flavours in a good way.

The previous comment about smoking hot I'd agree with. I think though that this has sometimes been a problem of mine, and a slower, measured cadence solves the problem as suggested.

In all, I like it.