The Country Squire - Rivendell

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
If you’ve never placed an order from The Country Squire in Jackson, MS you are really missing out. These folks specialize (IMHO) in subtle, unique, delicious aromatics. I usually don’t find aromatics among my go to Blends but these folks are changing my mind in a very good way. Talk about a deft hand...wow!

So Rivendell? (Middle Earth Collection...DUH!)

This is going to be a first impression review. I’ll try to come back after a quarter pound or so and do it real justice...but the first thing many of you that order this will experience is that first bowl. What’s it like? Well, it’s like this...it’s comforting in times like these that have so much meanness, strife and unpleasantness to find something that soothes, where simple efforts are rewarded with significant pleasure. This blend, as others have described, is a melding of walnut & cocoa with a tinge of vanilla and a fair amount of tobacco shining through. It’s past a semi-aromatic in which flavors are there just enough to compliment the tobacco flavors that are still the main focus. Here, the cocoa and walnut play the main roll...but gently...so gently. Instead of being bludgeoned with flavor one is lovingly caressed with the various aromas playing in and out. Of note are the ease of control. If the flavors subside it’s likely too hot...ease back and they come right back. Smooth? Yup. The aroma of the ample smoke off the bowl is a delight - as I imagine is the room note. But I’m an outside smoker, sooo...it’s only a prediction. I’ve been a pipe guy for about fifty years and have smoked darn near everything, or at least every genre. I love Sweet VA flakes, Burley blends with Turkish and Cigar Leaf, nasty stinky Lakeland twists and plugs...you name it. But few aromomatics are in my top picks. But this one is. I’d pick this joyfull, subtle, flavorful blend over 99% of the other aromatics out there. Very highly recommended.

Just placed my first order with these folks for some Rivendell and some Old Toby.  First taste of TAD for me in many months.  If swmbo gets too upset, I fully intend to point north and tell her "Mr.  Blackhorse talked fancy to me".  ;)

My order from the country squire arrived today:D , with a hand written note ( complete with reference to Oregon) inside thanking me for my order. Maybe I'm just sappy, but that note surprised and tickled the heck out of me.  If the note hadn't been enough to make me want to place another order with these folks, my first bowl of Rivendell definitely would have.  Smelled great in the pouch, room note was a big hit with swmbo and all three offspring (got to keep em separated), and the flavor while smoking it was incredible.  My pallet isn't refined enough to pick up all the nuances in the description, but swmbo said she was picking up chocolate and gentle campfire/wood smoke in the room note.  I was tasting what I guess was chocolate (what ever it was it was good), and some definite nuttiness with just an occasional hint of sweetness.  Took me three or four matches to get it lit for good, but so what? I probably didn't have it packed right, or maybe it needed a little dry time (shrug).  
In any event, this is definitely my new favorite tobacco (for the moment at least, haven't tried the Old Toby yet), and thank you BH for suggesting it. :afro:

Really glad you like Rivendell. I concur with your appreciation of its many merits. Not a good, but a great blend. To give my spin: it’s a melding of walnut (?) & cocoa with a tinge of vanilla and a fair amount of tobacco shining through. It’s past a semi-aromatic in which flavors are there just enough to compliment the tobacco flavors that are still the main focus. Here, the cocoa and walnut play the main roll but the tobaccos still peek through. I’ve tried a half dozen Country Squire blends and this one sports the strongest added flavors of any...and it’s still fairly mild (the added flavor).

BTW: where are you in Oregon? I’m in Oregon City...are you close?

Lastly...if you want some samples of Country Squire blends you missed on this round, PM me your address and I’ll send:

White Rose
Delta Honeydew
Second Breakfast
Old Toby
Meriwether

I just ordered more Rivendell (good stuff) and also some Bag End, a Scottish mixture which was a great non aromatic smoke. I hope Jon David keeps up the good work.

I restocked Old Toby and Second Breakfast last week on the sale and added Parson's Blend (not Middle Earth). Planning on adding Rivendell next order. I read that some folks do a 50/50 blend of Rivendell / Green Dragon and call it Weather Top.

Did you order on-line or call them? I'm having some problems with ordering on-line and I think it's this crummy laptop. Maybe I'll just call them tomorrow after I gather info on what I want to try, but that might take me several hours!

I use my iPad for everything. I have encountered glitchy ordering from them on occasion as I recall. I just exit...re-entry...and go again. A “restart” typically solves 99% of Issues like that.

Could not agree more! I have had their Rivendell, Parson's Blend and White Rose. The Parson's was nice but the Rivendell was outstanding. The White Rose is another keeper and a very interesting smoke.

Next order from them will be more Rivendell and probably some Bag End to try.

Old Toby is getting low . . . may have to do an order soon. Watched LOTR's last 3 weekends . . . extended edition smoking Old Toby. What was amazing in a normal bowl size in my churchwarden a bowl would last 1 1/2 hours no re-lites.

Just ordered 4 oz. of Rivendell to give it a shot. I also started another thread earlier before I found this. Will delete it.

Been holding off ordering anything for a while - broke the drought:

Green Dragon
Old Toby
Rivendell
Second Breakfast
Delta Honeydew
Parson's Blend
Saratoga

Hopefully the box will be waiting for me when I return from my business trip!

Cadfael":nd1uqost said:
Been holding off ordering anything for a while - broke the drought:

Green Dragon
Old Toby
Rivendell
Second Breakfast
Delta Honeydew
Parson's Blend
Saratoga

Hopefully the box will be waiting for me when I return from my business trip!
That’s a really nice mix.

I have not been a big aromatic smoker due to the chemical taste I get from any blends or the soupy blah taste. Hopefully this will be a new experience.

Cadfael":pygmgcfi said:
I have not been a big aromatic smoker due to the chemical taste I get from any blends or the soupy blah taste. Hopefully this will be a new experience.
I got some Old Toby a while ago and it was pretty moist, don't know if that is the norm for that blend or not. I just let it sit out for a while before i pack it and all good. Haven't noticed any chemical taste in it or the Rivendell (only two i have tried so far).