The Cure for What Ails Ya'

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleksis

Reaction score
I've always struggled with anxiety. Tonight, after work, my husband asked if I could meet him at our local Tobacco Merchant, which also happens to serve excellent craft beers.

I had a beer and 3 cigarillos (if I had known I'd be heading over there after work I would have packed a pipe!) and felt relaxed and happy.

I'm not the only one. A professor of mine has said his anxiety has gone way down now that he smokes fine cigars a few times a week. My friend Mike finds relief from his chronic leg pain when he smokes his Calabash or his Hookah pipe.

It's cheaper than therapy or medicine, and honestly, just as (if not more) effective.

Aleksis":ykwq91dc said:
I've always struggled with anxiety. Tonight, after work, my husband asked if I could meet him at our local Tobacco Merchant, which also happens to serve excellent craft beers.

I had a beer and 3 cigarillos (if I had known I'd be heading over there after work I would have packed a pipe!) and felt relaxed and happy.

I'm not the only one. A professor of mine has said his anxiety has gone way down now that he smokes fine cigars a few times a week. My friend Mike finds relief from his chronic leg pain when he smokes his Calabash or his Hookah pipe.

It's cheaper than therapy or medicine, and honestly, just as (if not more) effective.
Bam! Spot on. :cheers:

UberHuberMan":7mrlzeb6 said:
Aleksis":7mrlzeb6 said:

Bam! Spot on. :cheers:

+1

In addition to anxiety, nicotine (via tobacco use) has been studied (how officially, I'm not sure) to have an effect on autism, Tourette syndrome, OCD and speech problems. Unfortunately, most people categorize "tobacco" as a pack of Marlboros and not the plant or chemicals by themselves. :| The Dark Ages ain't over yet.

In the past, other cultures have used tobacco for medicinal purposes. If Science & Medicine could get past the 'Pack of Marlboro' way of thinking and truly study this plant and all of it's possible benefits, I think the value of the results would far outweigh the resources needed for the research itself.

I think a good deal of the anxiety release in cigar and pipe smoking comes from the down time it takes to smoke one. If you light up a good cigar or a larger pipe, it's a substantial time investment. I've had a good smoke last an hour and a half. Seeing that (at least for me) having a big fat cigar in your mouth makes it less easy to zoom around doing all kinds of crazy stuff, it's nature calls for peace, quiet and stillness. We don't have enough of that any more.

Growley":iktahp6m said:
I think a good deal of the anxiety release in cigar and pipe smoking comes from the down time it takes to smoke one. If you light up a good cigar or a larger pipe, it's a substantial time investment. I've had a good smoke last an hour and a half. Seeing that (at least for me) having a big fat cigar in your mouth makes it less easy to zoom around doing all kinds of crazy stuff, it's nature calls for peace, quiet and stillness. We don't have enough of that any more.
Very good point!

Growley":ukzo62sq said:
Absolutely, and without question. There's a reason why Japanese culture developed kata, or the mindfulness in seemingly simple or mundane rituals or activities. Many times, in instances as the Tea Ceremony, it ain't just about boiling water and thowing some dried leaves in it. There's a whole practice to it--and it's filled with spirit and joy.

The pipe is a ritual. Each one of us has our own way. It starts when we choose a pipe, choose the tobacco, pack it carefully, sit in a favorite spot, choose a favorite drink, and first light--and it doesn't stop there. Upon finishing the bowl, we really should be appreciative of the time we took, the thoughts we had and how that carries on into the rest of our day.

The pipe is also a companion. Hunting buddy. Hiking friend. Workmate. The character we choose when we know a task is at hand, work or recreational. Since we don't always have choices in our companionship throughout life, this pipe (and tobacco) is one notable exception.

8)

I am a creature of habit, but the closer I stay with my rituals, the more satisfied I tend to be.

Harlock999":tpzinj42 said:
I am a creature of habit, but the closer I stay with my rituals, the more satisfied I tend to be.
I'm quite similar. I really dislike leaving the house for anything without having at least warmed-up on my horn briefly. It's kind of like the glue which keeps my head together, if that makes sense. Even though it's my living, I stick to the habit on days (or weeks) off. Just knowing it's working right puts me at ease. I think a lot of musicians are this way actually.

I have "outbursts" with my music. There's times when I really need it, and times when other hobbies take hold, but I have to immerse myself in something pleasant before I start the day. Pipes seem to work, because I can goof off on the Internet, grab a briar...but, I can take some of my synths outside and puff on a pipe with headphones on. I have a few battery-powered rigs (that are professional) I can do some patch building and programming that are great for just losing my head for a while--before I have to go deal with the maw of naked apes out there.

To quote "If a Pirate I Must Be..."

One pirate captive, taken off the Cape Verde islands in 1772, recalled a tranquil moment one day when the ship was at anchor: "Nobody had anything to do, but the lookers-out at the top mast head; the mate of the watch, the quartermaster of the watch, helmsman & co being gone down to drink a dram, I suppose, or to smoke a pipe of tobacco, or the like."

Sometimes just thinking about the pipe I'll be smoking later helps take the edge off a stressful day.

Oh man, isn't that the truth. I had a pretty rough, tough, and ugly day at work today, but right now I'm sitting back in my Gramps recliner I got to the apartment today, having a (I didn't pick it, although I can admit I like it, Sunset wheat more, but good all the same) Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, and a Dr. Grabow Big Pipe full of Mac Baren 7 Seas Black. I don't even remember why work is bad. Listening to some Mumford & Sons, and Of Monsters of Men, petting my new puppy Shisha, and just waiting for my doll to get home. Probably going to pick out a few chords on the ol' guitar (My main stress reliever). Stress is easy to get rid of, just surround yourself with things and people (mainly people) you love. There's my two cents. Cash it in.
Zach

It's funny how just removing yourself from a shit situation and getting in the right mindset abandons the details as to why the situation was so terrible in the first place. Call it avoidance, if you like, I prefer to call it "not dwelling on it." 8)