The disconnect between room note and taste

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIPIPE

Reaction score
Ol' Limey Bastards like yours truly enjoy the taste of blends that put hair on the chest but make others run for the hills. Funny how what the taste buds appreciate is what the noses of non pipe smokers detest. I'm a guy who appreciates a bowl of Billy Budd, Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard and of course any lat bomb that others might say is absolutely foul smelling. I always keep a blend of sweet smelling tobacco on hand for social occasions but I gravitate towards the tough stuff. I throw my own cigar flakes into some blends like Engine 99 that makes them even tastier. We take a rap for the "smell" that we call an aroma because we don't detect it. We don't get "understanding" for the taste that is so appealing to us. It is unfortunate to read how many of us like Velvet Eagle are banished to their trucks or their cold garage in the dead of a winter night in order to enjoy a good pipe. What's wrong with the picture men?

I think the "eew, smoke" is a knee jerk conditioned response. People say they don't like it because they're told they're not supposed to. Even watching people smoke on tv will surely kill them, lol. :roll:

My grandpa smoked the vanilla Amphora and it smelled AMAZING. I'm sorry, I don't think anyone could call that smell foul. Even the surgeon general.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I smoke almost exclusively indoors. I walk around my house smoking, I smoke in my room, I smoke in my roomate's room, I smoke in the kitchen while I cook, and I smoke at the dinner table after my meals. Hell I even smoke in the bathroom sometimes when the end of a bowl overlaps with my needing to shave or get ready for work. It's not rare for my roomate, who is on the other side of the house, to comment on how good whatever I'm smoking smells. Recently it was some aged Haddo's that actually made him hustle down the hall to my room to say how delicious it smelled. We wake up early often to watch English futbol matches and I'll be smoking a bowl of Stonehaven and he says the smell makes him hungry.

And my lovely lady friend likes the aroma of perique which seems to be offensive to other member's significant others. It's a good thing too because VAper makes up something like 80% of my diet. The other day she was asleep and I was sitting across the room reading and enjoying a bowl of Solani 633 and she woke up and mumbled that it smelled wonderful before rolling over and passing back out. She says McClelland 2015 smells like BBQ

We also like to enertain guest and I usually smoke during parties as well. So far no guest have ever complained. I've even had some folk ask me if they can try one of my pipes :)

S.ireland said:

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I smoke almost exclusively indoors. I walk around my house smoking, I smoke in my room, I smoke in my roomate's room, I smoke in the kitchen while I cook, and I smoke at the dinner table after my meals. Hell I even smoke in the bathroom sometimes when the end of a bowl overlaps with my needing to shave or get ready for work.

I'm with ya brother. My aroma trails me all around my home too. I do pause to reflect though that other good men who enjoy a pipe are not so fortunate to be able to relax in the comfort of the home that they provide.

LIPIPE":67hkidu1 said:
S.ireland said:

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I smoke almost exclusively indoors. I walk around my house smoking, I smoke in my room, I smoke in my roomate's room, I smoke in the kitchen while I cook, and I smoke at the dinner table after my meals. Hell I even smoke in the bathroom sometimes when the end of a bowl overlaps with my needing to shave or get ready for work.

I'm with ya brother. My aroma trails me all around my home too. I do pause to reflect though that other good men who enjoy a pipe are not so fortunate to be able to relax in the comfort of the home that they provide.
It really is a shame, Marty. Every piper should be able to enjoy himself when and where he chooses. That includes bars damnit! Haha

MisterE, when I first started smoking a pipe Amphora Red Full Aromatic was my Saturday night tobacco because of the effect it would have on the ladies. Often my pipe was the start of a productive conversation. During the week I smoked Carter Hall but when I went to town to troll for romance it was Amphora.

Smokey

^ Now that I smoke a pipe myself I'm sorry that Amphora is not as available in the US as it once was. I'd love to get some to recapture that memory of my Grampa!!

I think our bodies build a tolerance for Lat bombs, Nic bombs, and whatnot. It takes months if not years to build that tolerance. But once we're there, it's freakin Nirvana.

MisterE":iw5ga7k6 said:
I think the "eew, smoke" is a knee jerk conditioned response. People say they don't like it because they're told they're not supposed to. Even watching people smoke on tv will surely kill them, lol. :roll:
You got that right. I can understand choosing not to smoke, but the "eew factor" and getting uptight about the scent of tobacco in the air is bullshit. Most people think in herds, and their "opinions" are just the conditioned responses of goosesteppers. They should all be beaten senseless. (Well, not really--but I'm not so sure I would lift a hand to prevent it.)

MisterE":1zrrkgwx said:
^ Now that I smoke a pipe myself I'm sorry that Amphora is not as available in the US as it once was. I'd love to get some to recapture that memory of my Grampa!!
It's still readily available in Canada and if you don't mind paying the premium I believe most tobacconists will ship it down here.

LIPIPE":m6thfk7j said:
It is unfortunate to read how many of us like Velvet Eagle are banished to their trucks or their cold garage in the dead of a winter night in order to enjoy a good pipe. What's wrong with the picture men?
Hey! Speak for yourself bub. I relish my time alone in my fortress of solitude. I spend much of time in the garage with or without the pipe.

s.ireland":b1x1jwvm said:
LIPIPE":b1x1jwvm said:
S.ireland said:

It really is a shame, Marty. Every piper should be able to enjoy himself when and where he chooses. That includes bars damnit! Haha
Being single, I also have the benefit of smoking around the house...usually after meals while working on my computer, reading a book, or watching TV...I've even been known to answer the call of nature while still puffing away. :lol:

Storm_Crow wrote:
"Being single, I also have the benefit of smoking around the house...usually after meals while working on my computer, reading a book, or watching TV...I've even been known to answer the call of nature while still puffing away."
We are a bunch of fellas, who all surf the same wave, all around the house and including when nature calls.

I guess ive been lucky, Ive never had anyone object to my pipe smell/aroma
I usually get something like "That Smells Good,...reminds me of my dad,grandpa etc"

What I have never understood is what the title of this thread refers to
and that is: why the difference between the so called room note
and the taste we get when we smoke it??

Just Curious
Keltic Cherokee

Casing, topping, smoking (of the tobacco itself before use, like Latakia) curing (air/flue/fire-curing), varietal, aging, fermenting, etc. all have roles to play both in flavor and room-note (which isn't "so-called," it exists ubiquitously, albeit pleasant to those around the smoker or not) :)

Basically, though, there are aromatics, which have a casing/flavoring additive that can both change the scent of the smoke or the flavor, or both. Usually when those not smoking approach the pipe smoker and swoon about how great it smells, or how they sniff the smokey air and wax poetic on sentiment of people/times past, it's an aromatic. :sunny:

Non-aromatics, while most having a very slight "binder" in the form of certain sugars or simply the juice of the tobacco itself (under pressure/fermenting), let the tobacco speak for itself, both in room-note and flavor to the smoker. Like a heavy Latakia blend will usually send people running with their nose pinched to the hills. :twisted:

It gets more detailed than this with other specifics/variables; that's the best I can do in a simple answer.

8)

Perhaps this will help. The latakia smoker is in a state of heavenly enchantment savoring every last ring of a cloud of smoke while the non smokers have long headed for the hills to escape the rank odor of death in hell. That my friend is the disconnect. Normally things that taste good smell good but not in this case.

...I dunno, I smell some chap chuggin' like a choo-choo on a batch of Lat and I'm askin' him what delightful stuff he's burnin'. :twisted:

The usual, Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard, Penzance, 1776 American Patriot or Engine 99. All of these blends are interchangeably latakia delicious and they all stink to high heavens.