The dreaded tongue-bite . . .

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to get the dreaded tongue bite too often. Actually it seemed to also carry through to the next day and affect the way I was tasting food and such. Thought my dang tongue had been dragged through a gravel pit!

This was one of the reasons I gave up the pipe for almost 10 years.

Finally figured out it was due to several factors - primarily trying to smoke too fast, and type of tobacco (in my case 'ginnys). Packing technique clearly figured large into this.

All to say, that since returning to the briar several yrs ago and being a bit older (a certainty) and wiser (debatable amongst my close friends), I now have a better understanding of the techniques.

:drunken:

Still, I'm no expert and find I have much to learn and catch up on.

Finally, this site has been a major education and am glad to be here!

Cheers,

RR

I'm with you Brewdude...had some experiences that STUNK as far as my palate getting fried to the point where it was sensitive the next day! But speed smoking and tobacco humidity seem to be huge in this.

I think it's also important to note that as a newb, I had a hard time forcing myself to understand that smoking "fast" has more to do with how hard you draw on the pipe than how quick you go from one puff to the next. I would think to myself "I'm only taking one drag every 15 seconds or so...how can that be too fast?". In thinking about it a bit deeper I realized I was taking a LONG, STRONG drag...that's just as bad as taking 20 quick short bursts on the pipe I feel. Best illustration being when relighting...I still drag way to hard and will get bit even though the pipe, when lit, isn't biting at all..

It definitely takes time and as my experience grows I'd expect less and less bite....I'm getting better though! :D

...when I was in high school, using (of course) cheap tobacco in a horrid Grabow Lark, I had everything against me. Hot smoke, cheap/dry tobacco, I usually just lit the thing and let it go with almost no draw. It was more a fashion accessory I got harassed over more than anything. Eventually, I learned how to control even the crappiest setup and to minimize the tongue bite.

It's funny, if I smoke out of that Lark now (I still have it), I can at least say I've improved the situation: No metal filter any longer, using good tobacco that I keep soft, and keep my mind about me when I'm smoking. I find that the company/situation I smoke in is often paramount to my habits. If I'm around cigarette smokers, there's this talk/inhale/exhale/ash pattern that each person does. If a pipe smoker mirrors this action to "keep up with the crowd" (as smoking is social, usually) it doesn't fare well to the tongue bite situation. So honestly, most times if I'm in a social setting, or know I'm going to one, I leave the pipe at home. Since I don't smoke cigarettes, I'm just a non-smoker for the evening.

I also try not to do anything else while I smoke a pipe, except maybe have a drink or read, or hang out with a friend or two, also with pipes. If I do projects, work on the truck/bike, etc, my flow and focus aren't enjoying the pipe, and it becomes a nuisance. So I'll take some puffs real quick and set it down for later... doing this too many times means I've dried out the tobacco by smoking it too rapidly and hot, and then keep going back for more--not nice to the mouth.

My method now is to rotate pipes, get good tobacco (kept right) that agrees with me, and relax. I can really take the time to be simple with just the pipe and me.