the early adopter: Phone OS.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
I never really thought of myself as an early adopter... J pointed out the flaw to me...lol

I've carried a Blackberry since Sprint introduced them.. Iphone came into my home when 3g came out..Android came blazing in with the Captivate and Windows Phone 7 is headed to the house now...

So far Android has been my favorite.. If you can't get Android to do it you can't do it on a phone.. PERIOD. But Android does have 2 fatal flaws.. 1. Battery life: Damn thing goes through more battery in a day than the entire shooting of Lesbian Love 2 : The Attack of the Vibrator did.. With all the scrolling widgets, push email, etc there's not much to do there until battery tech catches up.. 2 Carrier updating: Google rolls out the update.. Hands it to the device maker, who 'tests' it and overlays it with their version, and finally the carrier gets it and then they test it with their network and bloatware... (The exception is the Nexus line but that's direct buy, your still stuck paying subsidy pricing with the carrier) ..
Google really needs to iron fist the process and make the phone maker/carrier roll out the updates..

I broke my Captivate.. Well really it broke itself but that's a whole other story.. I found myself in need of a phone sunday. I had the option of the iphone 4, the new Blackberry, another Captivate, or WP7...
I already told you which way I went but here's why...
I'm married to Blackberry.. I ditched mine a few months back but when I came back to work they issued me one for Electronic Logging.. I don't want another one.. Iphone is boring.. Sorry but it is.. Android is out for the reasons listed.. My Cappy was running a port of 2.3 but according to Samsung/ATT it was on 2.1.. Its not hard to hack but the consumer shouldn't have to..

WP7 on the Samsung Focus won this round..
The UI looks good, and does what I need well, and will receive updates directly from MS.. Its not without flaws by anymeans.. But it is 1.0. 2 major updates are in the pipes with the first due any day now...

I'm still an Android fanboy.. I'll still follow the system and toss some code out where/when needed.. And IF Google ever fixes the Update issue I'm likely to secure another device.. But until then..
WP7.

Any thoughts (other than I spend way to much time thinking about things that don't matter)

Just when I'm making the switch to Android you go to Windows??? :lol:

I'm chomping on the bit waiting for the Atrix to become available.

I thought real serious about patching the Cappy back together and waiting for the Atrix...
But I know I'll void the warranty on it to.. Lol

Funny that hacking the phone OS voids the hardware warranty.. A broken USB CAN NOT be caused by hacked software.. Needless to say AT&T didn't care.. I had no quick fix short of tearing something else up to get the USB connector out of it and sodering it in.. I have a new connector coming so the Cappy will get fixed.. But in the mean time I'm going to use the Focus. All it cost was one of my three upgrades and an 18 buck upgrade fee..

Anyhoot I may do a compare contrast on the two OS.. The phones have similar hardware.

The mrs and I replaced the old twine between our tomato soup cans recently with kite string,,,,hifi now,,,,

I despise the blackberry. It's a clunky interface and had crappy apps when I used where enough to make me hate and let's not even talk about how slow it was. On the flip side, I love my Ntc android incredible. This is by far the best phone I've ever had.

Question: is ther an app store for win 7 phones?

Martin

Yes martin. There is an app store.. 6000 Strong and growing about 1000 apps a week.
But more on that in a minute..

The 5 day mark:
WP7. It isn't Android, it isn't Ios.. Its somewhere in between.
The transition from Blackberry to Android was a wee small painful.. The amount of customization on Android is mind numbing.. The transition to WP7 from Android has beeneasier but not without a few hangups.

The WP7 is a very well done package, especially considering its 1.0.. Android and Ios were way behind in terms of functionality and smoothness at v1.
I expected quite a bit of limited functionality coming to a smaller app market but from what I've seen overall the majority of apps are quality. Sure you don't have 10000 twitter apps to choose from but what's there more than makes up for it. MS has apparently flexed some muscle as to what will be developed.. I haven't found an app I miss yet.
Facebook is total integration .. If you are a fb'er this is your phone. It invades your phonebook, your pics, even your 'me' tile. And tiles are interesting. More than row after row of icons and slightly less than widgets. The live tiles are actually pretty cool, flipping pics and whatnot.

Games are beast (learning from my 10 yr old) on the platform. IOS is close, Android has few that may come close, but Wp7 games are just out of this world. And it can only get better.

The Office/email system works. Email actually shines. The Office needs a bit more development but considering ita age it is adequate to get most jobs done in the field. I miss scan to PDF from camera but there is an app for it.

surprisingly IE works very well.. It loads faster than bb, safari, and the slew of Android browsers.

Now there are some issues.. MS version of multi task is behind the other mobile os. Native apps do fine but third party apps have very limited ability. Cut n paste are coming but except for editing forum post I haven't missed it. The (for lack of better term) clickability in email and WebPages really negates the need and I honestly suspect it was not Forgotten but actually left out by design.
Text bubbles are the same color, the only way to differentiate is by looking at which side of the screen they are on.. If you text alot this will become annoying and I hope they fix it with one of the two upcoming updates.

I'll offer up another post this weekend. Right now I see a very viable platform that will probably suffer from Windows name being attached to it.

One more con.. I hope temporary.

Email isn't threaded and I can't find a setting to make it so.

mark":z9185qqe said:
The mrs and I replaced the old twine between our tomato soup cans recently with kite string,,,,hifi now,,,,
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Luddites, unite!! Together, we are unstoppable!

Not to imply that anyone else on this forum is a luddite, but I kind of lean that way.

I went from a Palm Treo to an iPhone 2 to an iPhone 3GS to an Android Captivate and am currently puzzling over what is next.

I blame the Captivate's truly awesome screen for the short battery life, but I can hook it up to power from time to time to have that extra-crisp display when I am reading. (I basically read everything on my phone now.)

Windows Phone 7 looks really good, but I am contemplating purchasing the next iPhone when it comes out. I am very intrigued, though, at the vision Microsoft has for Windows 8 (for lack of a better moniker). I, too, like the Tiles paradigm.

I have a few months to make a decision, so I am reading everything I can and it will all gel, eventually.