the efficacy of pipe qulity in qulity of smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr pipe

Reaction score
How much is smoking(qulity of smoking) influence the qulity of pipe?and Is there a standard about this? Is this true that corn cob is a standard in influence of pipe on qulity of smoking(of course unto american smoker)?

Tough question to answer. Are you referring to tobacco quality or the practice of the smoking itself? In either case, the answer is "yes," it will matter the quality of pipe in the end, but "quality" can mean many things. A badly-made pipe will not smoke like a well-made pipe--that much is obvious. Price often isn't an indicator to quality, to mention. Also, if a quality pipe is smoked improperly or not cared for, it can influence the quality of the smoking experience.

The venerable Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe is a standard to itself, not all pipes. It is unique in the pipe world, and can only be judged by itself. To that, some people enjoy them, others don't.

This entire hobby is very subjective, each person will enjoy that which another might not. You must find your own happiness/pleasures in smoking, and that can take some learning by simply smoking your pipe.

8)

thanks my dear,I have a question,whatis difference between a gaspariny(20$),amphora(70$).p.w(150$),dunhill(1200$)(same tpe and no problem in system engineering)?

Well, the obvious differences: Price, manufacture, hype and personal preference.

If you're asking in a round-about way which one will smoke better, there's no way to answer that. There's no way to tell if there's engineering differences (and how they'll react) until they are smoked. One guy might be able to smoke one perfectly, and it'll be a wet, sopping mess to the next fella. Or gal, in your case.

Welcome to the world of pipes and the risk, patience and skill they require. :) Sometimes you have to take a chance.

8)

Kyle Weiss said:
Well, the obvious differences: Price, manufacture, hype and personal preference.

If you're asking in a round-about way which one will smoke better, there's no way to answer that. There's no way to tell if there's engineering differences (and how they'll react) until they are smoked. One guy might be able to smoke one perfectly, and it'll be a wet, sopping mess to the next fella. Or gal, in your case.

Welcome to the world of pipes and the risk, patience and skill they require. :) Sometimes you have to take a chance.

THANK YOU MY BROTHER, FINE LEADING (SORRY MY FRIEND, EG IS SCOND LAN OF ME AND I'M POOR IN IT)
I got your answer,THANKS AGAINE.

dr pipe":uidmazwb said:
THANK YOU MY BROTHER, FINE LEADING (SORRY MY FRIEND, EG IS SCOND LAN OF ME AND I'M POOR IN IT)

But your English is so much better than our Farsi. :lol:

Hermit":mxddlkoc said:
dr pipe":mxddlkoc said:

Exactly!

[
[/quote]

Exactly![/quote]

oh my dear hermit, you are with excelent G.I what you know iranian lan. is farsi,
afarin (means BRAVO).

Hey, I love Persian food, so I might as well be nice to someone who probably can cook it better than I can, too. :lol: I'm a big fan of tahdig...it's crunchy and delicious. :D

Your English is fine. I speak to these guys on the forum every day, so I'm perfectly trained to read foggy posts... :lol!: The difference is, English is their first language. 8)

Kyle Weiss":fwso4nhx said:
Hey, I love Persian food, so I might as well be nice to someone who probably can cook it better than I can, too. :lol: I'm a big fan of tahdig...it's crunchy and delicious. :D

Your English is fine. I speak to these guys on the forum every day, so I'm perfectly trained to read foggy posts... :lol!: The difference is, English is their first language. 8)
of course my dear,you are clever man,ohhh I'm very happy that you are familiar with my country, also you're fashionable. However thank you very very much,with best wish for you.

A while ago, I bought a Savinelli Sabbiata 10 for $70, which is a very basic pipe, simply because I liked the looks of it, and even low Savs can be good smokers. Later I bought a Sav Linea for more than 2X the cost of the Sabbiata. The Linea is a 2nd, the bowl is a bit off center, but the grain is beautiful, and it's handcarved from flawless briar. If the linea had passed the standards for the Autograph model, it would have cost more than $400, I'm guessing.

How do they compare as smokers? The Sabbiata has some hot spots and doesn't like aggressive puffing, but it's satisfactory for the price. The Linea is much cooler. The difference between the two pipes is largely cosmetic, craftsmanship and raw material, not how they smoke.

Think of it this way -- when you buy a pipe, you pay X amount for function. There comes a point at which satisfactory function is achieved, and you are then paying extra for qualities like superior material, craftsmanship and exclusivity.

In a shop, the high end pipes will look and feel more substantive and look more finished. Sometimes it's hard to tell over the Internet.

Personally, I'm usually pretty frugal, but I think it's a matter of buyer's choice, not right or wrong, smart or foolish.

Good luck.

KevinM said:
A while ago, I bought a Savinelli Sabbiata 10 for $70, which is a very basic pipe, simply because I liked the looks of it, and even low Savs can be good smokers. Later I bought a Sav Linea for more than 2X the cost of the .....
thank very very much,your preamble is one of best explanation about this object,thanks again,

IMHO, pipes are the perfect example of the law of diminishing returns. You will see (on average) a dramatic increase in quality going from a $25 pipe to a $60 pipe, you will still see a significant increase between a $75 pipe and a $150 pipe, and will see some noticeable improvement when you go from a $200 pipe to a $400 pipe, but as you spend more money the increases in quality become less and less significant. In the end, I doubt the differences between a $500 pipe and $2000 pipe will be discernible to 99% of the pipe smoking population.

IMHO the sweet spot is between $85 and $150.