The end of an era.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I put an order in for some custom blended tobacco at 4-N's this morning. Two of John Patton's blends that aren't on the regular roster...something I had done numerous times over the years. I was e mailed some time later that they didn't do that any more and didn't even carry the component tobaccos to make 'em up. The tone of the thing was of someone wanting to shut the door on the whole thing. No sorry, no regrets, just we don't do that any more. Be sure and shut the door when ya leave! Ouch! But I might have been overly sensitive, as this means one of my top ten favorite blends "Oriental Dusk" is no more. That one used to be on the regular list as I recall. Now gone. Didn't even know it had been taken off. I hustled back to the site and ordered some emergency rations of Crossroads and Dark Horse...just in case they planned on pulling those too. 

It is to weep!

Sorry to hear that BH, I know if one of my staples was discontinued I be REAL upset.
As far as 4N's go, I'm not one of there customers because I didn't feel they had the
professionalism as others that are my go to suppliers. ;)

Blackhorse":c54e05nn said:
I put an order in for some custom blended tobacco at 4-N's this morning. Two of John Patton's blends that aren't on the regular roster...something I had done numerous times over the years. I was e mailed some time later that they didn't do that any more and didn't even carry the component tobaccos to make 'em up. The tone of the thing was of someone wanting to shut the door on the whole thing. No sorry, no regrets, just we don't do that any more. Be sure and shut the door when ya leave! Ouch! But I might have been overly sensitive, as this means one of my top ten favorite blends "Oriental Dusk" is no more. That one used to be on the regular list as I recall. Now gone. Didn't even know it had been taken off. I hustled back to the site and ordered some emergency rations of Crossroads and Dark Horse...just in case they planned on pulling those too. 

It is to weep!
Very sad indeed, especially considering the mini-revival his blends saw a little while back, thanks most in part to you. ;)

BH, you and I haven't always been simpatico, but one thing we agreed upon is/was Oriental Dusk. I ran out of that stuff about four months ago and figured I'd wait until I was under the right disposable income again to order more.

What a damn shame. Any reason why it's gone?

8)

I wonder if the components are still around, but that combination got dropped. :hopefulface:

8)

I'm in mourning. 

You might call or email Rich to get an answer to that. It seems to me if they have the components on hand to do the other Patton blends that they still offer that they could do the O. Dusk. Perhaps if there was a broader response than one guy he'd be more likely to respond favorably. They used to blend a minimum of a half pound of most blends of John's listed on the T Review site which is how I came onto me adjusted recipe for Dark Horse.

Rich began to regularly offer the Dark Horse blend after asking if he could name it after me, as it was my spin on one of John's other blends. He did so due to a real surge in sales, I guess in reaction to my ballthooing here in just this site...talking up Oriental Dusk, Crossroads and especially Stormfront.

Or maybe John would publish a specific 'home blender' recipe so his fanboys here could continue the blend on their own?

Whatever. I'm going off to pout now.

:fpalm:

I was thinking about giving Storm Front a try and O Dusk looked really goo, too from TR. I was disappointed when it wasn't on their site. It's funny how a blend with such high ratings would just be discontinued.

Is this rarer than Sobranie or Penzance now?

img_3710.jpg

Blackhorse":2wy9io6a said:
"Oriental Dusk" is no more.
NOOO!!!

My last order of Oriental Dusk was a pound, but so was my last order of Boker Or (another discontinued blend). When you said it was possible to have a blend of this sort custom made, I had resolved to get another pound or two of Boker Or. It seems this is no longer an option.

I really liked Oriental Dusk.

Did you try the "Don't you know who I am?!?!?" line?

I've had mixed success with that.

That usually results in a good laugh all around.

Look, there's nothing wrong with 4-N's or Rich...I maintain them as one of my main go-to's and an outstanding vendor! I also understand a vendor taking a non-mover off the shelf. And we don't know the motivations here. I do know that some of the component tobaccos have been difficult to get in in the past. I think they used to get them via C&D. That might be part of it. It's just that this took me by surprise, and being OK with someone else losing their favorite is one thing...but when it's yours, it's a whole different thing!

I am going to guess that Rich is having trouble getting a hold of whatever Oriental tobaccos went into it, and in my opinion, O. Dusk had some very special Turkish in it. Perhaps it's a combination of that, along with the fact that it was most likely not a big seller?

I'll continue to hold on to the little bit that I have left for the purpose of reverse engineering.;)

Well, the Turkish in Crossroads is Izmir, I think. I just yesterday went back and got an order of that - and Dark Horse. I don't know what the Turkish in that one is supposed to be, but again, you'd think if they could make Crossroads, they could make Oriental Dusk. But I don't know.

Fr_Tom":d8191ehn said:
Thomas Tkach":d8191ehn said:
I'll give you $300 for that pound! ;)
Half of it has been turned to ash. I am willing to share if you and BH need a couple of ounces for old times. It would just be a gift though...
Thanks for your generosity, but I'll pass. I don't want to fall in love with it and lingering in the back of my mind every time I pick up a pipe, "it's good, but it's not OD."

Thomas Tkach":hqdq646q said:
Thanks for your generosity, but I'll pass. I don't want to fall in love with it and lingering in the back of my mind every time I pick up a pipe, "it's good, but it's not OD."
The problem with unobtainium is that you can't get it. Might be better to never have a taste.