The end of an era.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MisterE":m3uc0osv said:
It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
...and...who waits unknown around the corner... :heart: :hubba:

J Soshae":nrpl7sav said:
Is this rarer than Sobranie or Penzance now?

img_3710.jpg
Sure are a tease, ain't ya J?!

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

It's hard to pick up on things over the internet, so I had hoped the winky face would convey that intention. I have a dry sense of humor anyway, so should probably not make jokes online.

I was also keying off of the whole 'worth more than Penzance' comment. I've seen 8 oz bags go for $120, so $150 for 8 oz isn't that ridiculous if the blend were that good. I'd never pay that amount for tobacco myself, though.

I would pay that much for the last 8 Ounces of tobacco. But if we all ever get down to the last 8 ounces I'm sure I'll get outbid.

I'd sell the last bit of a no-longer-available unobtainium if I had it. It'd sit there taking up space, I'd never smoke it, I'd still be the guy shaking his cane at "that one blend and how it used to be" and not have extra money to buy something I can smoke all day (fuel to bitch about my no-longer-available). :lol:

Classic "759 Syndrome." We all get it sooner or later. :heart:

8)

So, has no one tried to recreate this blend? Drums and Beer suggested a reverse engineering of this blend. Why not make the attempt, give it the old 'college try'?

I sent a message to John to see what is going on with him and his tobaccos. I will post the reply as soon as I hear back from him.

DoverPipes":wrcdjpx9 said:
I sent a message to John to see what is going on with him and his tobaccos. I will post the reply as soon as I hear back from him.
Unfortunately, that might not be possible. I ran into this post a while ago on another forum. Around this time, I had PM'd John asking a couple cob & tobacco related questions, but I never heard back from him..

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/archive/index.php/t-3994.html

Sad news on many levels. Makes my header for this thread even more appropo.

It also brings home the truism that we're all going there at some point. My solution, in reaction to the growing realization that time is ticking, is not to hoard...to smoke what Unlike the best and to share liberally. If you thing smoking is not PC here...you should see the rules in heaven! Oh my!

God bless, John. If you ain't coming back, we're surely the poorer without you.

DrumsAndBeer":4y8fzmu6 said:
DoverPipes":4y8fzmu6 said:
Unfortunately, that might not be possible. I ran into this post a while ago on another forum. Around this time, I had PM'd John asking a couple cob & tobacco related questions, but I never heard back from him..

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/archive/index.php/t-3994.html
He has a laptop and has been online as recently as two weeks ago.........

Oh, okay.

I was only going off his last BOB visit which was 10/13. I am not a member of any other forum, btw.

Opened up my fresh halfer of "Crossroads" this morning. In a lovely straight Apple it tasted a bit sharp but tamed down well enough for that expected melange of flavors...described as "an 80% mix of 3 distinctive Virginias, Turkish Izmir in a minor role, and just enough Cigar Leaf for accent" to come through. For me, aside from the VA's it's the Turkish that characteristics the blend. I know that in 6 months it with smooth out and taste better, but I couldn't wait. In fact, here I am again with a fresh bowl in my Briar Spirit Irish...with the conical bore concentrating the flavors as I smoke it down. Very nice indeed. To me, there just aren't any blends out there as interesting as these non-Latakia Patton's. Great stuff. Sure, I appreciate a good VA flake, some stinky Britweed and a lovely deep Burley blend regularly... but for when they are, nothing does it like Crossroads, Dark Horse or Oriental Dusk.

It's not quite as good as Oriental Dusk, but I have found C&D Lunchtime Blues to be similar to it. It lacks the cigar leaf, so adding a little of that condiment might make it a closer match.