The Ephemeris

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipetongue1

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Even' All, Where I go every nite I give away what was so freely given to me, now having said that and walking in the shadow of the late Tom Dunn, I have some copies of the Ephemeris that anyone who would like to read, one at a time, and return to me, like a lending library, just pm your name and addy and will get one out to you, nebies are encouraged, first come etc. I dont have many , but you will get a sense of the Coiterie and the Ephemeris Ken :tongue:
Btw I will start a list :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

To All those who requested a copy of the Ephemeris , I will get copies out b4 the end of the week, Ken :tongue:

Once a first timer reads it they will understand why many of us believe it to be the gold standard of pipe publications! There will never be anything like it again sadly :(

pipetongue1":crfyaik5 said:
To All those who requested a copy of the Ephemeris , I will get copies out b4 the end of the week, Ken :tongue:
Thanks Ken!

Why not?

I think there are tons of guys that could produce one AS GOOD... (notice I didn't say better)..

pipetongue1":asuyudhb said:
pb, It wasn't so much about the magazine, as it was about Tom Dunn, Ken
I agree. There are any number of guys who have the knowledge, but Tom's selfless passion is what fueled the Ephemeris.

Did you know that he gave it away, PB? All you had to do was ask to be put on the list. Though toward the end he (probably) received enough donations to cover its printing and distribution, for many years he paid for it out of his pocket.

LL":jets1gny said:
pipetongue1":jets1gny said:
pb, It wasn't so much about the magazine, as it was about Tom Dunn, Ken
I agree. There are any number of guys who have the knowledge, but Tom's selfless passion is what fueled the Ephemeris.

Did you know that he gave it away, PB? All you had to do was ask to be put on the list. Though toward the end he (probably) received enough donations to cover its printing and distribution, for many years he paid for it out of his pocket.
That's it in a nutshell. Tom wasn't rich. As far as I know he was an Actuary for either Met or NY life. His distribution had to be a thousand issues or so at least twice a year. I'm member # 8868 and was granted that number in 2004. Even if we say that more than half of his 8,000+ members either died or got out of the hobby since TUCOPS birth in 1964 that still leaves you with a ton of paper to edit, print and distribute all on his own dime. Most of the later issues were 100 pages+. This can't have been a cheap endeavor. That's why no one could do it. No one would put up their own money and time to tackle such a project. I speak the truth here. I briefly contemplated doing something very silmiliar myself but quickly came to my senses before it ever got off the ground.

I was fully aware of what I was saying.. And yes I knew he provided it for free.

I'm not trying to belittle Tom in anyway.. He was a Pipe Giant, standing taller than many of the premier carvers,blenders, distributors, writers,personality.

All I meant was someone could do the same thing, and I think it could be as good.

The only thing hindering the thing is the internet. I was never a member but I have read half a dozen copies or so. In many ways it has been replaced by Pipe boards, a precursor of them if you will. I am a huge proponent of pipe boards and the internet in general but I am also old fashioned and know that they are a poor substitute at best for ink on paper. NASPC puts out a very good paper, SHPC has the makings of something if they would print up their newsletter, and I'm sure there are more along the same lines out there.. Somehow combine them with a few random tidbits and letters and bada bing.

I don't think we will ever have another Tom, but I do think his legacy could live on. It would be a huge endeavor. It would require financial backing, I'm still not quite sure how he did it, but it wouldn't take 94 pages of gloss paper and a $7 price tag.

It could be done digitally via the internet. While admitedly not nearly as romantic, it is much more efficient and practical. Instead of mailing out hard copies, e-mail out a printable pdf file to subscribers of a mailing list.

Much less overhead and out of pocket expense that way and really there isn't anything that can be printed that can't also be scanned into a pdf with a simply home printer/scanner/copier thingy.

It would also be much easier if it was a community or group that did it together as opposed to being the responsibility of a single individual.

Generally when a team loses a star player they don't get a direct replacement in one guy, they need several other players to step up.

I found a hardcover The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris Book 2 , compiling the magazine,,,a bit pricey, only 500 copys published,,,for $425,,,used,,,

To All those who showed an interest in my lending library, I've contacted Wells Fargo, and they plan on having two express riders leaving for the colonies Monday am, sorry for the delay cold& Bronchitis, In the Spirit of the Fellowship, Ken :tongue:
Pacem Tom Dunn :cry:

pipetongue1":4b0ram7d said:
To All those who showed an interest in my lending library, I've contacted Wells Fargo, and they plan on having two express riders leaving for the colonies Monday am, sorry for the delay cold& Bronchitis, In the Spirit of the Fellowship, Ken :tongue:
Pacem Tom Dunn :cry:
Ken, I'll keep a lantern lit and will be on the lookout.

Thanks and Godspeed, Dan

Morn' Gents, I had a cupa Baileys Irish Tea with the two express riders that I entrusted with four of the ephemeri, one rider has to travel far! :D Enjoy! :tongue: Ken
Pacem en Pony Express! :tongue:

Ken, The package has arrived. I secured it in my bunker under the cover of darkness, all went well. It will take a bit to absorb all the info but I will enjoy it. I'm so sorry I missed out on the "E" during its actual publication. Thanks again for sharing this important document.

Best, Dan

Ken, package arrived, took a quick scan and placed your treasure in the safe. No peanutbuttery grandkids fingers will get near it,,, :p ,,,,the amount of information is staggering and will provide hours of enjoyment. Thanks for your unselfish sharing of this goldmine,,,

To All who rec'vd The Ephemeris please return when you are through, no hurry, and I will send one you haven't read yet until supply is exhausted, afterwhich I will in Tom's absence confer Coitarian Status to all of you, Ken :D :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :p

Wow! I am very much enjoying this amazing publication. What a whopping amount of material packed into those pages... very cool, and a big thanks to Pipetongue1 for trusting his fellow Brothers with these rare and collectable gems!!

Wow, pm sent!

I have no idea if this is still going on, but I would very much like to participate.