The Faithful Four pt. 2

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshoowah

Reaction score
As many of you know, my wife and I live in Kenya 9-10 months out of the year as missionaries. I am, of course, unable to bring all my pipes and tobacco with me simply because it is impractical and illegal (the tobacco part).  I am allowed 500gr upon arrival and any time I leave the country and come back.  

Last year, I only brought four pipes, sharing photos of them here. I have since been to the States and back to Kenya. This time bringing with me four different pipes.  I have around 15 or so pipes in my collection, drastically cut down prior to our move the first time, making choosing quite difficult.  I opted, however, to bring four brand new pipes with me, using my time in Kenya to break them in and get to know them a little better. So below you will see photos of those pipes, the tobacco I have stashed, as well as my new office where I spend a great deal of time studying and smoking. Enjoy.

Group shot:
photo2_zpsfff908af.jpg

Tobaccos listed from left-to-right:
2007 GLP's Haddo's Delight (gifted to me prior to my departure; 30% smoked, rest in the jar)
2010 Two Friends' English Chocolate (divine)
2011 McClelland's Stave-Aged Virginia 35 Ribbon
2010 McClelland's Syrian Star
2010 McClelland's Three-Oaks Syrian
2010 McClelland's Blue Mountain
2011 Smoker's Haven In-B-Tween Mixture (98% gone)
2012 McClelland's Frog Morton's Cellar x 2 (1 99% gone)

Pipes listed from left-to-right
Nate King Lovat-Type with military mount
Growley Half-blast Rhodesian
Wallenstein Blackjack (driftwood; 8mm filter)
Wallenstein Blackjack (prawn-grade; driftwood)

Miscellaneous:
IM Corona 80s Pipemaster
Safferling 4-pipe roll-up

Nate King Lovat:
photo3_zps8bc0a680.jpg
photo3-1_zpsfd83e5f9.jpg

Growley Rhodesion:
photo4_zps0bb0997b.jpg
photo4-1_zpsd2a1b991.jpg

Wallenstein Blackjack:

photo1-1_zps9858663d.jpg
photo5-1_zpsc2899f0c.jpg

Wallenstein Blackjack (prawn):
photo2-1_zpsbe536684.jpg
photo_zps7859847a.jpg

Thomas Tkach":cskee5cz said:
Good stuff there! What Church/Agency do you work with?
Currently, I work with the United Methodist Church and my wife works with an organization called Network of International Christian Schools. I have, however, just finished applying to work with NICS as well. If all goes well, I will be teaching Bible in August.

I can tell that you took those photos south of the equator because everything is upside down :)

How do you like the driftwoods compared to briar? I've been looking at some just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

The driftwood is briar. It just has a unique finish on it

rev

the rev":yrh1eczk said:
The driftwood is briar. It just has a unique finish on it

rev
Indeed, as Rev says, they are briar, just an odd finish that many disdain.

I think Walt Cannoy uses the same (or similar) finish, but calls it SuedeBlast or something. It's pretty interesting, but I'm not the biggest fan of it. Walle's whole aesthetic is interesting, he's definitely got talent, but I just can't picture one of his pipes hanging out of my mouth. They are really fun to look at, though, and I can see why people love them.

Puff Daddy":4rqw797c said:
I can tell that you took those photos south of the equator because everything is upside down :)
You know...I don't understand why this happens. On my laptop, they are right side up my tablet they are wrong side up. Hm... Thoughts?

I feel like I recognize that Nate King pipe. Many of his pipes appeal to me. Both the gear punk stuff and the more traditional like you have there.