The Field Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipedirector

Reaction score
I've got a Stanwell estate pipe I use for when I'm venturing into the outdoors... just curious to hear what others take with them on hiking, fishing, hunting/ect trips? (pic coming soon)

Don't be like the guy I know who bought a brand new $400 Nording and had it fall out of his pocket on a hunting trip...

Ouch. :affraid:

Matt

I have one that I used for walking for years.. .. dropped it about 1000 times and have it sitting on my work bench to fix again.. but instead of just fixing it I decided to just make me a new one to walk with.

I must say it is doing it's job fine.. and if it gets dropped, lost etc then I can just make another one. Personally I wouldn't go on a long walk with an expensive pipe, but a nockabout version for about 60 - 100 dollars... the pain isn't that bad if something happens

Here's a pic

7734618_orig.jpg

Thanks to Piet, who refurbed them, I have a couple of handfuls of Sav seconds that I take with hunting & fishing. I've lost several pipes before. And I always take a tin of OGS along.

Muddler":gb0fmciw said:
Thanks to Piet, who refurbed them, I have a couple of handfuls of Sav seconds that I take with hunting & fishing. I've lost several pipes before. And I always take a tin of OGS along.
We aim to please Mudd!!!
Especially when they get wet wading on the VAAL river!!!

Thanks to Muddler I have 2 Sav seconds 3613's I take out, before that I took cobs!
Imagine going out with a Radice, Mastro or Ser Jac, ouch, never, then I opt for Chesterfield blue!!

nice looking pipe jogilli, even if it is a knockabout. :D

I'm usually pretty safe, but for some reason, I drop pipes all the time...

Pipedirector: That pipe looks to good to take hunting and fishing. Though I believe that Nording makes a hunting line of pipes that may well fill the bill. Nice job!!

I've got a capped Oom Paul and an old Jobey full bent Asti that I usually take with me fishing and hunting. They stay out of the way and sit comfortably in the mouth for an extended period of time.
002-009-1638.jpg

Gotta go with the cobs on this one. They're light and easy to clench when you're out and about and you don't have to worry much about it getting damaged or lost. :D

bluedigital":jwqfnqb2 said:
Gotta go with the cobs on this one. They're light and easy to clench when you're out and about and you don't have to worry much about it getting damaged or lost. :D
Yea dude, agreed especially when you see what basket briars cost here not to mention Real Pipes!!!!

I don't care for anything outdoors, but I walk all the time, just don't drive. I carry just a briar in my pouch and a MM General in my pocket, maybe a MM Country Gentleman in my briefcase. Seldom have ever dropped my pipes and have even smoked my regular briars while working construction jobs, like foundation jobs, fry grease jobs and just all the kinds of shit work I've ever done. Never a problem.

Basically, I like to not own (maybe just not use) any great work of art that could be destroyed. What pressure that'd be. I don't like to hold babies, either.

My choice for an outdoor fishing, hunting, mowing, bush hogging etc. has been for a long time a small Dr. Grabow bent billiard. I can smoke them 4 or 5 times a day and the filter traps the moisture without having to carry cleaners. Plus they can be quickly placed or stuffed in a pants or shirt pocket lit or unlit without spilling.

Jim

Falconer: I've looked at getting that very Oom Paul by Brebbia that you've pictured. Seems like it'd be perfect for the outdoors, though I still think it's too nice to risk it!

I'd have to prep by Stanwell Field Pipe with ziplock bags if I were ever to go on a rafting trip... or do they
actually make waterproof pipe travel bags? lol

Matt

I recall a pipe Mark Tinsky made for a military fellow who (I believe) was deployed in the middle east, it was a stubby bulldog with military bit. Designed for quick breakdown and carry, stoutly built, like a tank. I really liked it, thought he should have marketed the idea more aggressively,

I throw my vote in with the corn cobs. I somehow drop a pipe every time I try to do anything other than sit down and stare at the horizon. I've lost dozens of pipes kayaking no matter how careful I thought I was being. Thankfully they were mostly cheap ones. I finally realized that I could get corn cobs for $10, they don't really need to break in, they bounce a whole lot better than briar, and sometimes they even float. Since switching to corn cob for all my walks, kayaking, or building stuff in the garage, I've only had to buy two, and I'm still abusing the second one.

pipedirector":9netfkql said:
Falconer: I've looked at getting that very Oom Paul by Brebbia that you've pictured. Seems like it'd be perfect for the outdoors, though I still think it's too nice to risk it!

I'd have to prep by Stanwell Field Pipe with ziplock bags if I were ever to go on a rafting trip... or do they
actually make waterproof pipe travel bags? lol

Matt
Matt, I like the Oom Paul well enough but have one problem with it. The wind cap has an "O" ring and when you take off the cap to tamp it down it doesn't want to go back on. Must me the heat expanding it or something. When you and I are out fishing or hunting we need somehting to curb the prairie wind. It's always there isn't it? :roll:

I use a peterson tanker. It is small, light, and the rusticated version costs 60 bucks. Fits well in my shirt pocket too.

I have a Chacom Dynastie that I take hunting and fishing. It's an old one that my dad used to smoke. It's not in pristine condition, but it smokes like a D-9.

This is not my Chacom, but it's identical. I did lose the emblem out of the side of my stem a while back and haven't had any luck finding a replacement.