The Final Bombing: Old Prospector Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
So, this was a time a-comin'... Tim from Crusader Pipes carved this for me out of the goodness of his heart and the talent of his skill. I'm not much for figurals, and that seems to be his forte...so he asked me what I might like. "Well, an old prospector would probably be appropriate, considering my line of work." Little did I know he'd make something so personable.

Here's the old guy...

7449320010_3de7313683_b.jpg

7449319668_138b2d2107_z.jpg

...you can't see it too well from my awful photos (have to use the phone, my normal camera setup has been temporarily disabled...) but the curved thing behind his hat is a pickaxe, which he's holding in his left hand and continues up toward the stem. Yep, he's smoking a full-bent, too! :D

Inscribed on the bottom: "Kyle, I hope you find what you are looking for!"

Too.

Effing.

Cool.

I couldn't wait to post decent pictures, so you all will just have to forgive me. Updates soon as to how he smokes...I have to, incidentally, head out into the field today, might just take the old salt with me and christen him properly. 8)

Great pipe! It is well executed and stylish.

I'm not one for figurals either, but I think it is super cool to have a pipe representing your profession. Wouldn't work with me though. It would be just a guy in a shirt and tie with a pen in his breast pocket.

Please tell me you are going to do at least one Gabby Hayes immpersonation when you smoke it..... That's what I'd do for sure!

Man you guys have been ruthless lately. :lol: Effers, if I carved it, fair game, but be nice to Tim. ;)

I should have asked for a sidekick mule tamper. :p

8)

I think a figural of some business guy in a shirt and tie looking like he's blowin' his stack (with smoke coming out of his nose and ears) would be awesome. :lol:

Wow, that is beyond awesome! I'm not big on faces, either, but there's something about a burly beard that sings on a pipe, ala some of the more ridiculous meerschaums out there. Congrats!

That's quite the little work of art there Kyle. Artwork aside though, how does it smoke? I guess I figured briar shapes such as this might be a bit tempermental or something.

And Smokeamater, how do you know Gabby Hayes? He was already long gone when I was coming up.

Cheers,

RR

Pipe :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Gabby Hayes :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Bombage :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:face:

I've seen a movie with Gabby Hayes in it, I just can't remember which one... :scratch: I liked the dude! Westerns are a swell genre. 8)

As for how it smokes, I'm in Winnemucca now, gonna go find my patch on the lawn out by old Highway 40, watch the sunset and have some Embarcadero with the Old Guy.

A report to follow! 8)

Brewdude":7l4pqf3i said:
......And Smokeamater, how do you know Gabby Hayes? He was already long gone when I was coming up.

Cheers,

RR
I am a child unusually old parents. As a result, I have of knowledge about many things beyond my years. I feel fortunate for it too.

Well, the Old Boy did pretty well. There's been new briar I've smoked that has a weird, acrid taste--and this was not it. It's "sweet" briar, which I'm delighted to have. It's really tough to sense heat with this pipe, because it's a honkin' piece of wood, but I'm thinkin' a little breakin' in...and we have a winner. :) The draft is open and the acrylic stem is quite comfortable. This pipe was meant to be held, or, get a good jaw workout. It fits the hand nicely, too.

8)

Harlock999":7ijqwenh said:
I love that the crown of his hat is a nice plateaux rim.
Me too. The thought and detail in this guy is very impressive. I couldn't even imagine trying to carve briar into a figural. Might as well be a chunk of granite.

Kyle ,
I am REALLY pleased with your reaction to the old boy,and even better that he smokes well for you ! Very true, he's not a walk'n pipe, he would definately pull your dentures out. Even though he's a medium size pipe as far as what I usually carve,some can be huge like the 19th Century pipes I truly admire. They are definately made for sitt'n and ponder'n. I can make smaller pipes for those that insist on dancing around and carrying on while they smoke. They're not for me, but everybody's got their own lifestyle to deal with.
That piece of briar is Grecian,and over ten years old. It is sweet ! I can tell if a pipe is going to be sweet or not as soon as I put a carving tool to it or sand on it.The blocks I've got are either Italian or Grecian briar and a great many of them are sweet to smell and taste. I prefer those myself to smoke.
Thanks guys, for all the kind words ! I will be posting a few pictures soon, of the latest pipes out of my shop.
And, whether you admit it or not, Kyle has the Force of the Forum with him .
Tim

The first pipe I ever carved was a pre-drilled block from a B&M here in Reno. It was Italian (because it was stamped on the block :lol: ). Whether or not this is true, I'm not sure, but what I do know is when I first started smoking it, it had a weird taste. It took a good two dozen bowls to get through.

The Old Boy needs some cake, and I'm gonna chamfer the draft opening at the stem (there was a little bit of moisture that might intensify come cooler weather) and it's going to be a Virginia-only pipe, most likely. If I dedicate it to any 'bacca, HOTW would be a perfect fit. 8)

Thanks for being so generous, Tim. You join the ranks of "paying it forward" and generosity that's destroyed me in the finest way possible.

8)

Man! If Crusader Tim gets me into figurals, that'll be like starting a whole new pipe collection. Excellent work Tim, and Kyle, how cool to have such a personalized work of art like that. Smokemater, I kinda like the idea of a desk jockey pipe. Not something you see every day. Mine would be pretty dull/confusing as well. I suppose you could do a traditional lumberjack, but it wouldn't really be accurate. For a "work-day George" pipe, it'd have to be a guy in a shirt and tie and hard hat, with a tape measure and clipboard. Maybe a radio handset clipped to his shoulder. On the other hand, a peavey tamper would be awesome! I could go traditional for that.
Oh, and Rob,
Rob_In_MO":w3ts9szr said:
Cool Pipe, Kyle.

That is, if you like a pipe that looks like George.

:lol!:
Not even close, bro!

Not a face for a pipe, sorry dude. :lol: Unless the mouth was the bowl. That'd be awesome. :lol:

Yep, I like the Prospector, he's pretty swell. 8)

George, I think we better stick with the traditional lumberjack ! And I REALLY like that peavey idea ! Almost as good as Kyle's side kick mule tamper !Nice picture though ! I like the beard better though, being a bearded wonder myself .I do like the office guy with the smoke coming out his ears too ! I can easily see that one in briar ! Thanks for the kind words ,hopefully I can gain some interest in the old art of figural pipe carving on this forum.
Crusader Tim