The Final Bombing: Old Prospector Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awhile back, I bid on an old figural pipe of a Confederate soldier with a loooong beard. The bidding started to get pricey, and since I had no idea what these old figurals are worth, I passed on bidding any higher.

Ever since then, these pipes have piqued my interest, and I have started to search for these collectable pieces. While they may be a bit cumbersome for smoking on the move, they really shine in a collectors pipe rack or cabinet.

Congrats Kyle, on a fine addition to anyone's collection! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Well, Tim's pipes might not be sleek and clenchable, but there's something to be said about a figural carved with that much thought and care. I still grab this pipe just to look at it...it's just too much. 8)

Kyle Weiss":zcpuoa46 said:
...there's something to be said about a figural carved with that much thought and care.
I'm starting to think a peavey tamper commission might be in order for the future. Dipping my toe in the shallow end of the figural pool, as it were.

I took a few pictures before the Ole Boy left and finally am getting around to posting them and pictures of two other pipes that I've been working on. The pressed meerschaum pipe I put up here to show you guys I can make a non figural pipe ,believe it or not ! The Valkerie pipe is definately more my thing,and makes the Old Boy look small ! It's more of a hookah shape than a regular pipe shape. Something I've been experimenting with lately.
Tim

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Those are cool, Tim. 8) I like the "Lady of the Briar." You just let the briar do the talkin' to ya, don't you? I dig the shapes your eye sees. 8)

Thanks Kyle,
I do like to let the briar ,or fossil ivory ,or antler ,or whatever natural material I'm working with talk to me. Briar has been a favorite medium of mine for a long time,but it has really taken over my creative venting. My main sculptural medium was fossil ivory for a couple of decades,it has slowly changed over to briar. Guess that's because I admire pipes more all the time. If block meerschaum was readily available here I would certainly be interested in going wild on that,but there is nothing like briar,the warm ,fantastic colors, the grain ,the smell, the taste ! God knew what we'd love in it ! I do leave the super straight grains for freehands, there are certain blocks that just demand to be only shaped,not carved.
Anybody have, or have access to, the book Collecting Antique Meerschaum Pipes by Ben Rapaport ? If anybody loves figurals or just art, this is a FANTASTIC book ! Definately worth the money !
I have LOTS of ideas in briar,will be keeping you guys posted in pictures as they come along. And as always ,would be interested in your ideas too !
Tim

A Hop Devil Figural???

That would be "menacingly" good!

..um....Dibs!

Hey...back making the rounds...good to be back....and good to be so welcomed, my bro.

I'll probably name him, but not after a Will Farrel character... :lol: