The "Frank Method"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tperoda85

Reaction score
Im about three smokes in to using this method to load and light my pipe. Before I was just trying to put it in lightly, it was sort of working, but was getting bit, and not getting a ton of flavor. I found lighting slower, and this packing method, the tobacco came alive. The room notes were stronger, more flavours on the pallet. Really great technique!

Its amazing that something so simple can make such a big change!

I've tried it, I like it, and it does seem to work really well as far as burn characteristics and flavor enhancement go. Why the latter would occur, assuming it's not just imagination, eludes me. The air pocket method also works, and is a bit easier to employ. But I'm lazy as hell, and mostly revert to the single digit scoop, pack, and screw it method. More power to ya', if you have the patience and foresight needed.

I have a suspicion that people move from simply stuffing their pipes -- sometimes called the educated thumb method -- to something like the Frank method or other more artful strategy. In the transition they learn to sift the sticks and twigs out of the tobacco, dry it a bit, leave some air in the packed bowl, and present a better top layer to the light. Voila! Big improvement! Well, yes. Enjoy.

I have been on a continuous quest for knowledge in my pipe experience for a while now. Trying different pipe shapes, new tobaccos, making pipes and different packing of tobaccos to see the most I can get from all of it. This post is not the first mention of the "Frank" method I have heard, but the one that got me curious enough to go watch the 3 videos and try it for myself. I haven't used it enough to say anything definitive about advantages or not, just that I am trying it out. One thing that seems unclear to me is the instructions are great unless you are packing a taller chimney style chamber. Does anyone have insight on this? Are you simply allowing the loose bottom pack to fill most of the chimney? or are you making use of an additional wad packed more firmly on the top to fill a taller chamber more densley through the middle as well? Thanks in advance, Gonzo

Gonzo":7jin3br6 said:
I have been on a continuous quest for knowledge in my pipe experience for a while now. Trying different pipe shapes, new tobaccos, making pipes and different packing of tobaccos to see the most I can get from all of it. This post is not the first mention of the "Frank" method I have heard, but the one that got me curious enough to go watch the 3 videos and try it for myself. I haven't used it enough to say anything definitive about advantages or not, just that I am trying it out. One thing that seems unclear to me is the instructions are great unless you are packing a taller chimney style chamber. Does anyone have insight on this? Are you simply allowing the loose bottom pack to fill most of the chimney? or are you making use of an additional wad packed more firmly on the top to fill a taller chamber more densley through the middle as well? Thanks in advance, Gonzo
I use this method ("Frank") and have all my pipe smoking experience with great pleasure
and won't use any other, like the saying goes "if it aint broke don't fix it."
I don't smoke deep/ chimney bowls but, if I were I'd just take the amount of tobacco that
it takes to fill such a bowl and divide it into three amounts and use the "Frank" method to pack it. First tamping it with a child's hand, then a lady's hand, and then a Gentleman's hand. And if the tobacco still has a bit of spring to it and the draw is good still when done I would be led to believe I've done it correctly. Oh, and I sporadically check the draw through out the tamping to make sure I haven't packed too tight. ;)
This is just the way I do it, YMMV.

thanks for the response, the 1-2-3 concept of packing you describe I have used for a while. The vids I just watched on the frank method are similar in idea, but have some very specific points the technique the make it slightly different, and in IMHO more well suited for smaller pipes.