The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
This is a Swedish movie based on a popular book by a Swedish author
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JlF-hk3IJQE" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This is a fantastic movie that has, as you can see, subtitles.
Now Hollywood is going to make their own version without subtitles.
I can't believe that it will compare with the Swedish version.
Any thoughts?

The book was excellent. In fact, all three of the novels were excellent! I can't believe a movie will be able to replicate the novels very well. It will be interesting to see if the screenplays are the same or different.

Heard a lot of praise for the novels from different sides now, so they’re on my to-read list.

Yes, the books were very enjoyable to read. I downloaded the movie a while ago. Thanks for reminding me, I should watch it soon!

Excellent movie (haven't read the book), but strong stuff not for the faint of heart. Come to think of it, the author dropped dead of a heart attack after finishing the trilogy....

That was very enjoyable trilogy to read. Not on my top score on Scandinavian type crime books, but i did like it very much after all. The movies were ok too. They followed the books almost perfectly.
Now if they are going to make new versions of those films in Hollywood, they will be probably very different. Think i'll pass the new versions.

Watched the movie over the weekend. Not bad for a murder mystery. Now I will have to read the books.

I give the books high marks. Watched the movie over the weekend and thought it was very good, too. It followed the book very closely, sort of sliced through the filler and did the nitty-gritty parts very well. I cannot imagine the girl picked by Hollywood to do the US version to even being close to as good as the gal in the movie was. She WAS Lizbeth. Well done, indeed.

I thought the books were great, very well written with great characters and a plot that spans all three books. As I neared the end of the third book though, all I could think about was the he planned to write 10 books in the series then died of a heart attack with only 3 finished.

I wasn't a big fan of the movie, it was good, but couldn't compare to the book. I felt that they left out some fairly crucial points, even if they seemed small, they changed the tenor of the plot, especially the ending. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it by revealing which points. The character of Erica - who is fairly major in the book - is also relegated to just 2 scenes and about 3 lines.

I'd be interested in knowing what others thought of this point as well: my wife wanted to stop the movie because of all the violent sex and murder, and I kept thinking back to the book and how it was portrayed. I think that all the same things were in the book, but since the book took 18 hours to read (I listened to it on my ipod) and the movie was not even three, they had to cram all the sex and violence in while leaving out the slow build of the mystery and revelation of all that had happened. She asked how I could have read the books and I said that the movie is emphasizing the sex and violence a lot more than the other events of the book. Obviously it would have made for a slow movie otherwise, but what do you think? I brought this up with two other people who had read the book and seen the movie and they both agreed with me.

I really don't agree with the sex and violence part. A movie has to tell the story visually, with less room for detail. What did you expect from a movie like this? I think they added in the sex and violence quite tastefully, as it reflects key points in the storyline. In my opinion it fits right into the dark mood of the film and books. I suppose this might be due to being part of different generations? I'm constantly exposed to much worse sex and violence in film and on the computer and have gotten used to it. In the last 40 years film makers have been pushing the barrier a lot. Things that were shocking in the 70's are now so common you don't notice them anymore (depending on the genre, of course).

I think the movies were quite good. The way the omitted parts of the storyline was quite effective. They didn't take anything out that would diminish the power of the story, but simplified it enough to make it work as a movie. Film and literature are very different beasts and there is always something that gets lost in translation, so in my opinion they did quite well here. I liked the movies, but comparing them to the book too strictly wouldn't do justice to either.

Of course, I respect your opinion. You and your wife have different tastes from mine and thats fine. Probably also due to not having been exposed to a lot of similar content, which takes the edge off the violence.

I'm only 28 and my wife is 30, certainly not different generations, you 25 year old whippersnapper. :) I have seen quite a few violent movies and played some violent video games, but that is not where my argument comes from, let me try to rephrase it.

I agree that the sex and violence were actually done well. Nothing was gratuitous or over the top at all. The book certainly is dark and the film captures the psychotic nature of the antagonists well. My problem was that in the limited scope of film, time becomes an issue and it seems to me that the focus of the movie became the sex, much more so than in the book. I think that my wife, not having read the book but having heard me praise it quite a bit, thought that the book must have had violent, murderous sex as a central theme as well. And while it is in a way, I don't think it is as up-front as the movie makes it seem. The pacing and very nature of a book, of course, allows for more internal development than film can portray, limiting a director to what can be shown visually. This conflict will likely never be solved to the satisfaction of those who both read books and view films.

I also think that because of this compression the slow revelation of the mystery was compromised. Because of the large time-frame the book encompasses (almost a year), I understand that it would be difficult to portray this.

As to the omissions, I guess I will explain myself as to the three biggest (in my opinion). So:

******SPOILER WARNING*******

I think that the biggest omission is that Vanger doesn't promise to give the damning information about Wennerstrom to Blomkvist. In the book Blomkvist initially refuses to enter the investigation and is only reluctantly drawn in by the lure of getting back at Wennerstrom. I don't know why they didn't put this in, it is somewhat alluded to in the interview between Frode and Salander, but never returned to. Instead, the information comes entirely from Salander, which most of it does in the book, but not without the first push in the right direction from Vanger. I think that this difference really changed the feel of the final revelation and changes the portrayal of Blomkvist's motivation. He may actually be a more sympathetic character in the film because he joins in only for the reason of finding Harriet (and probably the fat paycheck). In the book he is also motivated by the feeling that he got screwed over in court and Vanger dangles the opportunity to get his revenge, but only if he does his best in trying to solve the disappearance.

The second omission is less important, but becomes important in the second and third books. At the end of the book and the movie Salander steals all of Wennerstrom's money. In the book she steals billions of kronor, in the movie it is downgraded to just a few million. It is this money that frees her to do whatever she wants and purchase her condo and high tech equipment in the second and third books. With the exchange rate of about 7 kronor to 1 U.S. dollar, she wouldn't be able to afford everything that she is going to have to buy in the next two movies. Is this pedantic and trifling? Probably. It could also be a translation problem, I don't speak Swedish, so perhaps the movie was correct and the English subtitles got it wrong in writing "several million".

The third omission is not really an important plot point, but goes to revealing character. In the book Salander visits her mother at the nursing home every week. The movies shows her as never having visited at all until the events of the mystery force her to realize the importance of family. Like I said, not crucial to the plot, but it makes Lisbeth a colder character to know that she has never visited her ailing mother.

I don't think that I have ever written this much about a book/film comparison without it being a school project. ;) I really enjoyed it though and would like to hear your reactions.