The "I hate doing intro threads" thread.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DireWolf

Reaction score
:lol:

I read 'em, just hate writing them. Hard to avoid it though when there is a dedicated forum.

Noob to pipes (generally) and pipe forums.

From NW Oregon - about halfway between Portland and Mt. Hood, if you're familiar with the area - out in the sticks. Early 40's, married, blah, blah.

Not to get into my previous bad habits (smoking) that are no longer practiced, I have dabbled with pipe smoking for several years. Dabbled with some crappy house blend aro from a store, get frustrated at the effort involved (I packed them waaaaaaay too tight for a long time), gave it up, lather rinse repeat. Smoked cigars exclusively for a few years - good, but that proved to be the most expensive vice I had.

Quit smoking about a year ago, and would have a pipe now and again when at a party or whatever. Figured out the packing/lighting/tongue bite deal, and started getting better aros....... found out I enjoyed it.

Anyway - somehow started watching youtube videos from some of the usual suspects, started researching pipe tobaccos, pipes, and figured I needed to find a forum for usual forum stuff.

Have half dozen briars, and as many MM's I just got to go with the 15+ tobaccos I just ordered in the last couple months.

Always was turned off by the tin note of English tobaccos (compared to "good" aros), but decided to put a tin of Mississippi River and a Frog Morton's Cellar in the orders.

The MR was surprisingly good.

But. I found myself thinking about the single bowl I had of the FM Cellar for days. :lol:

Other interests - motorsickles, good beer, good whisky.

Did a lot of looking - I am involved in a couple of motorcycle forums (one huge, one small I am an admin on), and I liked the limited rules/peer moderation policy that seems to be en vogue here.

Welcome along. It took me years to get into the English myself. Now it's almost all I smoke. Good bunch of guys here. And there's alot of good info here. And yeah, the rules are pretty much don't be a jerk. Keeps it simple

The welcome is appreciated. :D

MisterE":0pqa3e28 said:
Welcome! Dire wolf as in Game of Thrones? Just curious...
The hint is in the avatar. :lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hhqyg_dTaTg" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Funny thing - pick a goofy screen name out of your butt, and it just sticks (I own zero t-shirts with pics of wolves, FWIW).

Brewdude":0pqa3e28 said:
Welcome wolfman, and nice intro/bio. Hope you enjoy your time here. There's a good few guys on this forum from your general area too.

Cheers,

RR
I saw that. Ya'll have a knife making Mod in Oregon City I noticed.

I need to ask him about the House of Calabash.

DireWolf":444n72ae said:

I read 'em, just hate writing them.  Hard to avoid it though when there is a dedicated forum.
That's okay, I hate reading them.

"I read 'em, just hate writing them."

You did a pretty good job once you got started. Welcome.

Welcome from Texas. I have some friends in The Dalles area. Hope you soak up as much info you can and enjoy your time spent here.

I used to live in a town named Boring. It's just east of Gresham. Mount Hood National Forest is old stomping grounds for me.I ended up swimming upstream of the Oregon Trail and ended up in southern Missouri.. Welcome to the BoB!

Ozark Wizard":z8uiwevp said:
I used to live in a town named Boring. It's just east of Gresham. Mount Hood National Forest is old stomping grounds for me.I ended up swimming upstream of the Oregon Trail and ended up in southern Missouri.. Welcome to the BoB!
I drive through Boring twice a day to and from work.

You may not know this, but they become sister "cities" with a village in Scotland called Dull.  Both have a festival in August called "Dull and Boring Day".  Been about 3 years now.

Well it was a good intro so I stuck with it !!

Anyway, welcome to BoB from Oxman in the UK.

Cool! I have a good motorcycle forum buddy in Manchester named Ray. You know him?

Kidding, of course.

I assume I fall into a normal group of new "serious" pipe smokers. Or at least serious dabblers - I'm only smoking a bowl a day tops right now.

I have been reading nonstop, placed my 5th multi tin order from Smoking Pipes yesterday (starting to get tins to cellar), and have $250 I'll be spending on another pipe or two this weekend.

I seem to be drawn to Danish shapes (Neerups and Stanwells seem to be good values for the beginner), and Italians (Savinellis, same). I have 4 Peterson's already, but two are so small, they shouldn't count (a Calabash and a Belgique) - at least that's what I tell my wife, who is doing a lot of good natured eye rolling. :lol:

I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive hobby.