The Influence of Tobacco Names!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborne

Reaction score
I was wondering how much the names of tobacco influence your buying habits either in a positive or negative way. For example, have you ever bought a particular tobacco just because you liked the name or have you been turned off by the name of a tobacco and would never try it?

Personally, that's exactly how I go about choosing a tobacco. The name attracts me. I first tried Maltese Falcon and Key Largo because they happened to be on my list of favorite movies. They’ve since become my everyday blends not because of their names, however, but because I really, truly enjoy them. And there are some blends I will never try because the names just don’t do it for me. I know, that’s a really stupid way of selecting a tobacco, and I’m probably missing out on blends that I could potentially like.

Dunhill’s London Mixture! Man, that conjures up so many images for me that it becomes irresistible! It just happens to be a damn good tobacco so I buy a tin of it every so often. Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, Charing Cross just begs me to fork out the cash.

Like I said, I’m probably missing out on many great tobaccos because I’m repulsed by their names. My loss.

Am I alone in this? (Where are the marketing experts?)

As much as you shouldn't judge a book by its cover or a tobacco by its tin, I, for one, certainly can't help doing so. When bombarded with literally hundreds if not thousands of options, those first impressions are very important.

It's like going to a Mexican restaurant there's 100 options on the menu but it's all made with the same 6 ingredients.

It's all in the associations.

Key Largo and Maltese Falcon are, in my mind, names that have, because of the associated movies, very strong associations. Penzance and Stonehaven also associate. But Dorisco Mixture and Provost have few associations

C&D comes up with some humorous names for their tobaccos and I'll admit at times it has influenced my decision to try them. The first one I knew I had to try was Bow-Legged Bear. I was into smoking heavy Latakia blends at the time and the tin art was humorous so I ordered two oz. The other one was Purple Cow. I knew I had to try this one when I found out it was a blend by Bob Runowski and I loved the tin art. I liked it so much I ordered a t-shirt from C&D with the Purple Cow logo on it.

Maltese Falcon was another one that I knew I had to try and it turned out to be my favorite Greg Pease blend.

Smokey

ZeroContent":6xsa9vjf said:
It's like going to a Mexican restaurant there's 100 options on the menu but it's all made with the same 6 ingredients.
Which isn't all a bad thing, in fact, quite a good way to run a restaurant!

------------------------------------------

Yes, anything with the word "Cherry" in it I'll avoid with no hesitation. :lol:

The names mean little to me if they aren't descriptive. I mean, we're talking about a product that in terms by itself can be debatably wrong or misleading. "English" and "Balkan" being two-- everyone seems to have a differing opinion.

I do have to say the aromatic "No Bite Delite" from Boswell is a name that irritates me because it seems sophomoric, gimmicky and "cutesy" due to spelling creativity. I also hear it's a great aromatic. I'm just going to cringe every time I say it.

Bulk #1004 B just isn't memorable when your surfing for new stuff.

mark":1mha9wlq said:
Bulk #1004 B just isn't memorable when your surfing for new stuff.
Nay. A nice tasty bowl of 1Q anyone?

But "Merde de Cheval" is a catchy name! I've been wanting to try it just for that.

MisterE":3wu4kc92 said:
But "Merde de Cheval" is a catchy name! I've been wanting to try it just for that.
Well, if it's French, their shit is reputed not to stink, so it's a safe bet. :lol:

When I was blending, I usually named my blends for a reason, often something that had some meaning to me. And then I'd explain why I chose the name in my release notes. Storm Front was finished during a violent storm, and Spyglass was named for the spyglass I had as a youngster. Cool Hand Fluke of course is a play on words, and really is a bit of a fluke.

I don't know why but I always want to call 'Rattray's Red Rapparee' "Red Rupee" Too much Zelda in my youth I think.

I always though Grey Havens was a misleading name (and tin design too). I try not to have expectations, but based on the name and packaging I thought it would be one of these half-aromatic blends ala Connoisseur's Choice. I mean, the name Grey Havens, comes from a children's book. The tin label is a dainty lilac color. We see on the label some pretty flowers and some pussy willows. "Oh this will be a pretty blend", thought I. Boy was I wrong...what we've got here is a masculine, good ol' days, Sam Spade burley. Why the whimpy name?

Grey havens would be an appropriate name for Peterson's Sherlock Holmes, which is also a terrible name for the blend.

Peretti's has a blend called "No Name."

I would be curious to know the reason they had for calling it that. That name wouldn’t entice me to buy it. For marketing purposes, it doesn't make much sense.

Airborne":7216t33d said:

I would be curious to know the reasoning they had for calling it that. That name wouldn’t entice me in to buying it. For marketing purposes, it doesn't make much sense.
I camped in No Name, CO one night because the sun was going down and I hate setting up a tent in the dark.

the macdonald":da1sqmw7 said:
Airborne":da1sqmw7 said:

I would be curious to know the reasoning they had for calling it that. That name wouldn’t entice me in to buying it. For marketing purposes, it doesn't make much sense.
I camped in No Name, CO one night because the sun was going down and I hate setting up a tent in the dark.
You see, you see! Wouldn't it have been better if it were named Starry Night, CO? :cheers:

Airborne":82rfudyp said:

I would be curious to know the reason they had for calling it that. That name wouldn’t entice me to buy it. For marketing purposes, it doesn't make much sense.
I've had some of that blend and it's the only Peretti blend that has ever disappointed me. It's supposed to be an aromatic but for me it just didn't have a good flavor at all. Let me stress that I'm a huge Peretti's fan and smoke several of their blends on a regular basis. Unfortunately this one just didn't do it for me.

Smokey

In one of my longstanding Walter Mitty-esque daydreams I scour the world for incredible, "unobtanium" tobaccos & blend/tin them for friends.

One of them is "Butt Plug." :p

:face:

I'm working on a business plan to buy Prince Albert in bulk and then re-package and re-name it. Some names I'm considering:

Hot Chicks'll Dig You

Schlong Enhancer

Free Beer

Keep It Up

These last two are names that can be added to anything for a guaranteed 30% premium add-on price:

Harley Davidson

Snap-On

I'm looking for investors so just drop me a PM for a Paypal address.

:D :D :D