The Joy of Beeswax

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
I have known forever that a loose bit on a pipe can be tightened up by applying a bit of beeswax to the tenon.  Makes it snug and feel "just right."

What I didn't know, or perhaps had forgotten until an incident last night, is that it apparently will also make a tight bit seem to loosen a little, and also feel "just right."  

How can it do both, you may ask?  Dunno.  It's friggin' magic.  I just used a molecule or two on the tight bit, and quite a lot on the loose one, so maybe that's the reason.  Anyhow, it worked for me.  What's that expression?--oh,yeah: YMMD.

Where does one get it, you may ask?  I got mine at one of those natural food emporia where hippie types buy their barley groats or whatever.  A small cake as in the pic costs a whole buck.  Lasts forever.

beeswa10.jpg
" />

Yes.

I've used it on a loose fitting stem and it works like a charm. Used a Q-tip to apply it. Rub some off on the Q-tip and then to the tenon. Repeat as necessary.

Got a small disc of it at my local hardware store for a couple bucks, and it'll be enough for several lifetimes!

Cheers,

RR

I've even been know to use it on my mustache!

No, that's not really me but, ya get the idea. ;)

Bees are amazing and so is their wax. :D

I use a Bee's Wax polish on my pipes for a great shine, works very well.

I picked up a small tub of this for my pipes also, and it works great! I've used very little in the past couple of years,  I'll never use it all. Anyone out there want some send me a PM and I'll throw some at ya.

I have a very tight tenon on one of my pipes. Was going to try this on it, glad I opened the thread, seems like it should work.

Ahha - now I know how to fix those loose and tight stems!

I have a bar of that wax for fixing zippers on wetsuits, should be just the thing for the pipes. Do you melt the wax before applying?

That's not necessary Oxman, just press the tenon against the wax and turn a couple of times. That should pick up the few flakes you need to tighten or loosen your stems.

Beeswax is tough to come by.  I discovered that the seal used to seat toilets is made of beeswax.  You can find these at any hardware store.  I think it works great on a loose stem.
Note:  I recommend buying a new toilet seal and not reusing a used one... :shock:

Tried the beeswax... Stem is still very tight. I didn't notice a difference. Going to try on a loose stem, maybe that will at least work.

Retrogasm":l8ukg81n said:
That's not necessary Oxman, just press the tenon against the wax and turn a couple of times. That should pick up the few flakes you need to tighten or loosen your stems.
Thanks for that - off to try it now!

Here's what I've found: It can be very helpful in tightening fit of a stem by either absorbing into the mortise and causing it to swell or being caked on thick enough to take up the room that shouldn't be there. On the other hand, if the stem is too tight, the lubricating ability will help to get it in and out, but it may provide problems in having the opposite effect: soaking into and swelling the mortise, maybe even making the problem a little worse.

For that reason, I've heard a dry lubricant recommended for tight tenons: graphite. Just take a pencil and draw on the tenon until it's coated then try it. You'll probably have to re-apply every so often, but I have found it to help.

Thomas Tkach":e37b1046 said:
I've heard a dry lubricant recommended for tight tenons: graphite. Just take a pencil and draw on the tenon until it's coated then try it.  
You are so right about this. I would like to amend the original post, or in essence gut it. The wax is great for a slightly loose tenon, but a really tight tenon isn't going to be helped by adding wax. I posted based on one incident that in retrospect seems like a friction issue more than a fit issue.

With some difficulty I managed to find the pipe in question and there it was, a tight tenon with a bit of bee's wax on it. Yes, it's still a bit tight but it "slides." It's a Ser Jacopo sandblasted straight apple, and upon examination I think I see why I opted for wax rather than graphite. The first half of the tenon is too loose. Then the second half is too tight. I hate when that happens!

Apparently I chose to tighten the first half and hope the wax on the rest would enable a bit of slide, rather than use the pencil trick. It seems to have worked as far as function goes, though the feel is crappy if you remove it. Cheap %#@$~& pipes! I'm sticking with Dr. Grabow or somebody who knows how to make a pipe from now on! But I take back recommending it for tightness. Mea culpa, etc. :oops:

I have a couple of Stanwells, one with a loose stem the other too tight, and applied bees wax to both last night. The loose stem one fit together much tighter and the tight one seemed to go together easier so I guess I'll see how this goes once they've seen a little heat and I can tell if I actually "fixed" anything.

RJ

flyguy":cifzfz8a said:
Beeswax is tough to come by.  I discovered that the seal used to seat toilets is made of beeswax.  You can find these at any hardware store.  I think it works great on a loose stem.
Note:  I recommend buying a new toilet seal and not reusing a used one... :shock:
Lolz! Glad you clarified that!

Follow up post. Richard, this thread was just the ticket! I did not know what to do with a couple of my pipes. One is a Petersen with a very loose stem. I used to use beeswax for repairing boat sails, so I dug it out and Presto! It was good as new. Then just this morning I was cleaning and putting back together this weekends smokers. My Jacono chubby stem got stuck half way into the tenon. I was horrified because there isn't that much stem to get a hold of and I was really afraid of damaging the shank. After many whispered prayers to the briar gods and some slow and careful twisting, I managed to free it. I put some beeswax on it and I was able to get it back into position without any further problem. Your post was informative and saved me some serious issues. Thanks my friend!

You are welcome, of course. But you had me cringing as I read your anecdote about the tight stem. I believe putting the pipe in the freezer for 15 minutes or so is the accepted way of loosening the bit. Glad what you did worked out for you, and all is well.