The Latest News From MM

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiltjlp

Reaction score
I talked with Phil, the general manager, again today, and the best news is that their corn crop has been spared from the floods in Missouri so far. Their plans for bringing back the bulldog, and several new models will depend on how good a harvest they have this year. If they are able to get enough extra large cobs, they hope to produce their Natural models in large enough quantities to offer them to B&Ms and e-tailers.

As for their Freehand model, they have begun using slightly different shanks which will have metal bands, known in the business as ferrules, which will prevent splitting. They’ll have to use up their current supply of shanks before those new and improved Freehands will be widely distributed. The possibility of corncob shanks is being considered, but they would probably need to be reinforced, so if they do decide to offer them, it would be on a limited basis.

Among ideas I passed on to Phil from forum members was deer antler, reed, and bamboo shanks, with the problem being them being able to find reliable suppliers. They have ideas for a Huck Finn model, where a Pony-sized bowl would use a mini Churchwarden stem. I also suggested a Cherrywood Poker model, which would use a modified General bowl.

Phil wanted to thank everyone for passing on suggestions and ideas through me, and said that they will all be given consideration. He did ask us to be patient, since changes and new models take time, since the raw cobs not only have to be grown, but also dried and cured.

That is pretty awesome news! Its good to see a company that owns a particular niche (ie, the only company in the world to make quality cob pipes), and still not get big headed and comfortable with the position. What I mean is that I like how there's no competition, and they still take time to listen to customers and still want to improve their product.

Plus, I'm excited about seeing that bulldog that I've heard so much about! And the poker that you mentioned..

SouthernPiper":fq1m0mq0 said:
That is pretty awesome news! Its good to see a company that owns a particular niche (ie, the only company in the world to make quality cob pipes), and still not get big headed and comfortable with the position. What I mean is that I like how there's no competition, and they still take time to listen to customers and still want to improve their product.

Plus, I'm excited about seeing that bulldog that I've heard so much about! And the poker that you mentioned..
What I find interesting is when I mention an idea, mine or someone elses, Phil will often mention what might be the problems of making such a pipe, and then he'll try his best to solve those problems. What I like is that he has never said no to any suggestion, although he has expressed doubt a few times. The most frustrating thing for me is knowing that for some of the new products Phil's told me about that there can be up to a two year wait before we'll see them, since they have to grow them, prepare them, and then dry and cure them. Keep your fingers crossed that they don't get flooded out, and that they have a bumper crop.