The longest you've had to endure leather[tongue] bite ...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
MacBaren will pay!! :evil:  :evil:

Well it's really my fault  :bom:  :bom:
Two bowls of MacBaren, smoked two Thursdays ago (10.16) has still left my mouth in a charred state, and I have a new pipe begging to be tried.

While I can hold out until I feel ready, that probably won't happen till later this week, making it over two weeks of what is probably a combination of leathertongue and tongue bite  :affraid:  :affraid:  :affraid:

It could also be my constant indulgence of bbq and hot sauce. :cherry:

Lesson learned Mr. MacBite who burns too hot!!

But I wanted to ask the community:
What was the longest you had to endure tongue bite and/or leather tongue and what demon caused such displeasure? :twisted:  :twisted:

These links btw offered some nice information
http://binsbergenpipes.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=6
http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2012/01/say-hello-to-mr-leathertongue/

Every time I have gotten Bite it's never lasted anymore then a few minutes.
Maybe because I drink coffee with cream while smoking, I don't know but, the culprit
of most my tongue bite has been Burley's but, some Va's have tingled my tongue on occasion but, not enough for me to stop smoking it. ;)
Loosing my taste although happens about once or twice a year for me and the reason
is unknown to me but, shifting to stronger tobacco and using Biotene seems to get me through it. Sometimes I get it back within a week, sometimes a month. I reckon it depends on how lucky I am at the time.

Early on, it has lasted a day or two. I banished tongue bite when I switched to lighting my pipe with a wooden match instead of a lighter. I was scorching the living daylights out of the tobacco and consequently my tongue with the lighter. Lessons learned...

So I believe that there are two things that can happen. Some tobacco just doesn't play nice, and just smoking it will "bite" my tongue. The worst example of this is the new Elizabethan Mixture, but MacBaren Navy Flake does the same. The first draw through the pipe and my tongue revolts. This sensation goes away shortly after I put down the pipe.

The second is when I actually scorch my tongue. Whether because I let the tobacco get too hot in the bowl, or because I try too hard to get/ keep it lit. In that case I think its the heat that does the damage, not the tobacco. This one lasts longer. This typically happens to me when I am distracted (or intoxicated) and don't really pay proper attention to the fight I am having with the tobacco.

Dave_In_Philly":fdtscy5u said:
So I believe that there are two things that can happen. Some tobacco just doesn't play nice, and just smoking it will "bite" my tongue. The worst example of this is the new Elizabethan Mixture, but MacBaren Navy Flake does the same. The first draw through the pipe and my tongue revolts. This sensation goes away shortly after I put down the pipe.

The second is when I actually scorch my tongue. Whether because I let the tobacco get too hot in the bowl, or because I try too hard to get/ keep it lit. In that case I think its the heat that does the damage, not the tobacco. This one lasts longer. This typically happens to me when I am distracted (or intoxicated) and don't really pay proper attention to the fight I am having with the tobacco.
Dave, I agree with your two types of tongue bite assessment. When I get bit, it's usually at the end of the bowl, trying to stretch out that smoke and consequently  turning my tongue/roof of my mouth into something reminiscent of concrete. This usually lasts approximately 3-4 days, and I try to let the tongue heal for at least that long and then some.

Ya normally it's the worst for me when I'm drinking with my friends because my 1 bowl a day will turn to 8 bowls in one night. Normally I wake up a feeling so gross I wont smoke anything for a solid week afterwards. My tungue normally will heal with in 4-5 days but I'll abstain for longer because I won't feel like smoking.

I agree with the two types of burn, and at most have had 2-3 scorched days.for me switching to cigars helps. That's a bit strong actually.switching to cigars doesn't help, but it seems to do less damage when I'm in the scorched state.
And just so y'all know how smart I can be, I narrowly missed a major case of type II tounge bite yesterday when I absent mindedly tried lighting a pipe that I could have sworn I had packed with tobacco...it was a close one. Don't light empty pipes!

I used to get tongue bite so bad it would affect me for literally a day or more. In fact it got so bad it put me off pipes for 8 yrs or so!

:eek:

After returning to the pipe and finding BoB, I learned about proper moisture levels, prep, cadence, and much more. Haven't had an episode since.

Cheers,

RR

To me, tongue bite is that sudden sharp pain you might feel when you do everything wrong when smoking a pipe.  Feels like a razor slicing your tongue, as opposed to just a generally sore tongue from overindulgence.

If we're talking about the latter, then I would say I went about ten years with it, only stopping for rare two- or three-week stretches in order to recover from colds.  I had a job that enabled me to smoke non-stop if I wanted, and I exploited the situation. My tongue was so raw that it had fissures, or something similar, to the point where the tongue would bleed. 

Cool, huh?  I actually threw away my first pipe collection because of it, and among them were some really decent Charatans, Comoys, Savinellis, etc.   I swore off pipes, focusing on small cigars.

That lasted about six months.  Then I talked myself into buying just ONE pipe, just to have, just in case.  You never know.  I opted for a group 4 Dunhill Shell, bought at the Dunhill store in New York when it was at 5th and 55th.  From that point it was a descent into total depravity, PAD & TAD seizing control of my will, and I ended up here.  You know how it goes.

:geek:

Richard Burley":c9nm7uc0 said:
I actually threw away my first pipe collection because of it, and among them were some really decent Charatans, Comoys, Savinellis, etc.
Richard, I feel your pain. No so much because you tossed your pipes but rather because I wasn't there to catch them. Should you ever again feel the urge to toss your pipes please let me know so I can e there with a large basket to catch them. :lol:

AJ