The more I smoke em, the better I like em

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbernater

Reaction score
Ive only been smoking a pipe for around four years. Most of my pipes are estate restored pipes. Over the past four years I have noticed my pipes get better with time. I have a few that really pass on a nice rich flavor while smoking. Such as my peterson millineum dublin which Im smoking right now
IMG400.jpg

I have others that have this nice rich flover while smoking as well. Just sitting here smoking and noticing how good it is and thought Id pass what Im feeling on. Have a great night

I agree Charlie! I believe it actually makes a pipe perform better, when kept in regular rotation.

You didn't say whether or not they're dedicated -- ideally to the same pipe-tobacco combination(s), or at least genres (Englishes in English-dedicated pipes.

Even if not, smoking definitely improves their flavor (provided the tobacco & the pipe like each other).

ALL of mine are old ones. And largely for that reason.

:face:

Yes. And what's strange, I've just discovered or become conscious of, is how I tend to reach for the same pipes to smoke, over and over again. The rest just sit on the rack collecting dust. It's purely a sub-conscious thing, but it makes one wonder about the neglected ones, some of which are "big" name brands. So what's the point of having 30, 60, or 120 pipes if you only smoke half a dozen? I have never considered myself a collector, nor have I ever wanted to become one. It just seems to happen. The ratio seems to be about 10 pipes to get one good one.

Just sayin', whatever the hell that means.

I know what you mean on having to many neglected pipes. Ive got pretty much now what I call my favorates. Some savinelli's, petersons, a couple GBD's and a couple of english pipes I have no idea who made but smoke well. And one meershaum that smokes nice. Even some of those mentioned are better than others And Im starting to think the best ones are because I do smoke them more regular. And Yak Im a one tobacco guy. I smoke a blend that called up land days That I just fell in love with. Its got here at my local humidor. Its of there own blend.

My .02 is that frequently smoked pipes benefit from the heat - cool off - heat cycle more than their less frequently used rack mates. Or, I might just be giving them the benefit of the doubt. Hard to say, really, but I think it's mostly so.

I think ghosting could have something to do with it, too. Dedicated pipes are often praised for their ability to deliver taste, which has a good deal of common sense to support it. But sometimes the opposite produces serendippity. This aftenoon, I had a bowl of an aged Va in a pipe that usually hosts Latakia blends. Very nice, indeed, after shoveling a foot of snow off the walks and decks.

Please send all unwanted pipes to

PB
C/O that big ugly dude
2075 Puros way
Brandenburg Ky.
0U812

Beleive it or not When I was on my pipe buying beng I gave pies that didnt work out to my step son who took up pipe smoking after me

Over 99% of the pipes I own I have bought new over the past decades and I would have to say they ALL smoke BETTER with more time and use. That's probably why all these folks are buying up well used estates. They only get better the MORE you smoke 'em! :p

I have one pretty old Peterson that came frome England. From the story I was told It was bought for the guy I bought it from when he and his wife was visiting over there in the early 70s. His wife bought it from a lady that was selling pipes from her late husband who died of old age and had smoked pipes for a long time. So I have no idea how old it is but it was taken good care of and now I have it and it is one of my favorites
IMG232.jpg

plumbernater":gqmdo34r said:
Beleive it or not When I was on my pipe buying beng I gave pies that didnt work out to my step son who took up pipe smoking after me
Why did you give away pies to someone who likes pipe smoking?