The Nicotine Shuffle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftover421

Reaction score
This is a snippet from Popular Mechanics-November 2012. Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

I'm sure much of the increase in pipe tobacco sales is the jumbo bags of RYO sold as "pipe tobacco".

:lol: Yeh, even my local B&M has a ciggy making machine thingy, tubes with filters, and even a few house blends that seem to be geared toward the roll your own market. I actually met one of his customers that was doing the rolled tobacco because it was "waaay cheaper". I ended up buying the guy a cob to try, (a MM Legend) the last time I was at the shop he thanked me for the cob, that was hanging out of his mouth, and purchased an ounce of a much more decidedly "pipe" tobacco (McC P.M. pipe). I also sent him away with a fat sample of the Frog Morton’s Cellar that I brought with me for a smoke with the owner. Also taking into account the 233.1% increase in large cigars, the fact that I switched from cigarettes to a pipe and not roll your own leads me to hope that at least a third of that is a re-burgeoning pipe market if not more.

Eh, just my opinion and my hopes for the most part. I like to think I do my small part in steering our wayward brothers onto the path of pipe happiness though.

Dan

No wonder pipes are in people's sights these days. This is why statistics are so frustrating, you never know if there's an actual increase in pipe tobacco use/sales (as we know them) or if some trickery someplace else is going on. The pitchforks, they get sharpened and the torches soaked in fuel... :|

I'll bet they lump hookah tobacco in there too, this is where I feel it is going to work against us in the big tobacco tax coming up they always left pipe and cigars alone cause they weren't catchy to kids like the flavored cigarettes and cigarellos are but this hookah stuff is going crazy, the tobacco shop in the pgh mills mall has more hookah flavored tobacco, then it has traditional tobacco, and they have more hookahs than they do traditional pipes, hell they don't even have any MM's in there