The perfect morning to wake up to...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
So first, a little back story:

As some of you may or may not know from my profile, I have a particular fond for Mr. Vladamir Grechukhin's pipes starting since 2011 when I purchased a pipe of his when smokingpipes.com became a dealer. Since then, I have collected so far 6 pipes from the man himself.

So 2 weeks ago, while doing my usual browsing on ebay, I came across an estate Grechukhin sandblast auction with no reserve starting at .99 cents. Seeing the stamping on it, I knew instantly it was a pre-2012 pipe and was a very rare shape from the old master. Well, on the last day of the auction, the price was at $150 dollars and I've yet to bid. In my mind I thought it was going to end around $400 ish and with few hours left and bed time was calling, I made the decision to put down a max bid of $500 dollars to secure it. But truth it, I wasn't too happy with myself to spend that much on an estate pipe as I know the condition could be completely different from the photos.

Anyway waking up the next morning, I found out I won it for just $200 dollars! I was shocked and ecstatic! But I quickly grounded myself knowing that the worst has yet to come and expectation usually only leads to disappointment. Some of you may recall a week ago I was asking for a good pipe refurbisher (for this reason).

Fast forward two weeks to now, got up today and looked out my window and saw a small package next to the front gate. At first I thought it was the TAD from 4noggins but after getting closer I realized the package was too small to be that. It had to be the Grechukhin pipe!

I took the package and rush back inside to open it and viola! It was the most perfect estate pipe I could ever imagined. Bowl was clean and reamed, airway smelling fresh and steam was polished with no tooth mark or oxidation. I still ran pipe cleaners with some alcohol to make sure it was clean inside and it was indeed. The only downside, if any, is some minor rim darkening but that's to be expected with like all estate pipes. For $200 dollars this is way more than I bargained for!

This is quite frankly, the best morning for me in terms of anything to do with pipes! I am so happy that I just had to share this with someone, and who else could understand this feeling more than my fellow brothers...

img_0410.jpg

img_0411.jpg

Very nice! Grechukhin's work looks absolutely stellar, and I have long lusted after one. I almost bought one of the lower grade PS Studio pipes, but decided last minute against it. Few pleasures top receiving a new pipe in the mail. Congrats on the lovely pipe and great price!

Well done mate, it's always nice when you get lucky and things work out. Carma :cheers: :cheers: 

Great looking pipe sir and I'm glad it came to you in such good condition.
Being an estate pipe buyer myself I know how it can be opening a box to find
that the pipe you bought isn't what you thought. Nowadays it's almost a must to be able to do your own repairs and restorations.

I LOOOOVE Tanshell blasts and that one is FABULOUS !! And that's an interesting take on the Prince shape as well ! What's the "downside" of the rim darkening? Your'e going to get it dark when you smoke it anyway :twisted: :twisted: 

I'm happy for you!! :D  Congrats on a nice deal and finding a pipe you love :cheers: 

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

It is, in fact, my first prince shaped pipe, and also my first tanshell blast too. So quite unique in my collection.:D 

Congratulations, Isagar!

Great snag and an exceptional value that I am sure you'll enjoy for many years to come.

WTG and thanks for sharing ;)