The Shield- any fans?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterE

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I just started watching this series from the beginning this weekend. I had seen parts of it on TV a few years ago but never followed it. I'm enjoying it so far. Mackey's a real piece of work! LOL!

I love this series, but the early seasons are very varied and a bit unstructured. Not necessarily a bad thing since it represents a fluid and almost chaotic urban reality, a reality that in its true essentials has been largerly ignored by the media, the movies and other tv shows. But the last few seasons as matters careen to their "predestined end", particularly the last season, are a roller coaster. I like "Breaking Bad" even better than The Shield, which is saying a lot.

Love the genre. My daughter highly recommended it. Bought season one (very expensive). Watched two episodes. Could NOT get into it. Handed it off to my brother-in-law.

C'est la vie.

I loved and miss "The Shield". Vic M was a piece of work. I had to laugh last week. The Son's of Anarchy, also on FX, finale had a scene where a key character was in jail and watching "The Shield". Season 3 had some particularly brutal scenes, some unbelievable for television. The last season was very well done. The Glen Close season was also very good. Every year had some unique twist. Enjoy!

I haven't seen Sons of Anarchy yet but I'll look for it after I get through this series. I'm only on season one so it might take a while to get to it.

MisterE":1hexilj4 said:
I haven't seen Sons of Anarchy yet but I'll look for it after I get through this series. I'm only on season one so it might take a while to get to it.
You'll get addicted fast!

It was good enough that I watched all of it but in the end not memorable, not like Damages or Breaking Bad.

Hermit":llq13e0h said:
I loved The Shield!
Watched every episode.
Are you watching Sons of Anarchy?
The Shield was an incredible show. You will definitely be a fan of Sons of Anarchy. The creator of SoA was a writer for the Shield. A lot of the same actors from the Shield have or have had parts on SoA. Breaking Bad is definitely on my "to watch" list. Happy viewing!

MisterE,

You haven't seen anything yet. It just gets more dark and unflinching in shows its character's depravity and desperation.

How they got away with some of that stuff is still beyond me!

For anyone who likes "The Shield," and can handle something even grittier, "The Wire" is an absolute must see.

idbowman":iig2dfe8 said:
For anyone who likes "The Shield," and can handle something even grittier, "The Wire" is an absolute must see.
The best television series EVER, my opinion. Overshadowed by The Sopranos,which ran at the same time, but far better. Omar listening!
Three folks I know made some scenes over the five seasons. Ex-MD Gov Bob Erhlich was a security guard in Annapolis when they were going to see the Baltimore mayor turned Governor (that really happened in MD). In the season about the dock workers, a lobbyist who works with my wife was an extra. The lobbyist character, that had money in the shoebox was modeled after him (true to life, he spent some time in jail for fund-raising fraud). Another friend, an ex Capital policeman, made a scene as a bar tender at a political event in the last season. I need to get that box set!

I agree. Best show every...by a mile.

"It's all in the game, yo. It's all in the game..."

Edit: Not to take away from the actual topic of the thread, of course. "The Shield" was also very well done.