The stars align; Edgeworth RR

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmokeamater

Reaction score
I mentioned on another thread a few weeks ago that I have been thinking of purchasing some old dried up crusty pouches of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed from the bodega down the street, and re-hydrating them.

Some of you fine gentlemen convinced me it would not be worth the effort. Good advise fellas! Thank you!

Today while on a shopping errand for work I saw a crude little hand painted sign on the front door of a real estate office that read "Smoke Shop". I opened the door to the real estate place and off to the side there's another door with another sign that said "Smoke Shop". I open that door and there's a long dark hallway with mirror on the floor set at set at 45 degrees. (If this sounds weird that's because it WAS weird!)

I walk in and there's a guy in his late 70's sitting in a half empty 15' x 25' shop with no windows. On the wall he has three big Dr. Grabow & Medico pipe display cards, many bags of Smoker's Choice tobacco, a few glass display cases filled with cheapo knives and bongs, some glass display cases full of cigars, and the usual cigarettes behind the counter. I was wondering, how in the world this guy can make a living in a store like this? And that the rent must be next to nothing. I asked him for a pouch of PA, looked like the only decent thing he had there. He seem surprised and struck up a conversation with me about how there are "none of us [pipe smokers] left anymore." "It's dead", he said. I tried to tell him there are places like this site where the hobby is alive and well, but he made a stinky face and shook his head, negative. I let it go. Who could blame him? He waved his hand at the Doc Grabow displays and said, "this whole wall was pipes." We talked a few minutes more and I noticed the can of ERR behind him. "I said, I'll take that." He said "It's a classic. They don't make that anymore." "I know", I replied.

Fifty bucks.... I really had no business buying it. I don't know if I over paid. But I wanted it. What the hell? Right?!

It's sealed. Makes no shaky noise, and is slightly bulging.

Whoa! Cool story and a great snag. Thanks for sharing!
pipe_s10.png

I would say that $60-$65 for a 14oz seems to be the market rate this last year or so, so you got a good deal.

Best of luck with the can! :cheers: I hope it's worth reviewing here