The Tax man cometh......

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatman

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
April 15th, yaaaaaaaaay! Hopefully all the US taxpayers on the board broke even, or are getting a return! I am the lucky one, I get to pay a hefty amount to the Infernal Revenue Service.......

We also broke even.  

I take care of my parents financial details, including their taxes.  They had H&R Block do their returns but  in 2010, they forgot to electronically file their MD and US returns.  They owed Maryland and submitted their check.  When they didn't get their Federal return, I started checking and discovered H&R Block screwed up.  They did file and refunded the charge for my parents return, and a few months later their refund check was delivered.

Flash forward to 2015, Maryland sends a letter to my folks say they never submitted their 2010 Maryland return.  Oh-Oh...  Yep, even though my parents send MD a check - and it was cashed, the return was never officially completed.  And, Maryland says H&R Block screwed up and they owed an additional $125.  So, we wait and wait for the notice.  Five phone calls to MD later, they finally send the bill and my parents pay.  

Since 2015, I moved their taxes to a well known local tax preparer/Accountant.  My wife does book work and we decided she can now do their taxes, saving them the $250 annually.  She rechecks their Maryland 2010 return, corrected by the State of MD and finds their correction  was IN ERROR.  She works for the state and calls the director.  The director says she doesn't think they made a mistake, but will check and call back. Yep, THEY screwed up, my parents didn't owe anything, so now they are sending back the check....

THEN, my wife starts checking the returns prepared by the Accountant and finds he made two big errors in the past three years - my parents are owned another $2k on Federal returns and refiles all of those years.  

So, if you get someone to do your returns, check it carefully!

That's why when a new client comes in, I ask for the prior three year's returns. They can all be amended.

Nearly done for this year. Waiting for a check to release some partnership returns. Then the party.

Worst tax season in thirty five years.

My wife and I normally get a decent check from the Feds, although this year was significantly less. :suspect:

We break even with the state.

I did pretty well this year, both state and fed. The new baby being born in November helped a lot.

We would have done fairly well with the Feds but when we filed electronically we got a nasty email back saying that a tax return for our taxpayer ID numbers had already been filed! Nothing else, no instructions on what we need to do , nothing. Just sorry your out of luck this year. Contacted several local tax preparers and were told file a police report, print out everything and mail copies to the IRS and hope for the best.

Jim

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't such a large sum to be out if they decide not to pay us. What with all the health problems in the family this year a 6k buffer would have really been nice. Gotta love Uncle Sam.

huffelpuff":ej5dsk2e said:
We would have done fairly well with the Feds but when we filed electronically we got a nasty email back saying that a tax return for our taxpayer ID numbers had already been filed! Nothing else, no instructions on what we need to do , nothing. Just sorry your out of luck this year. Contacted several local tax preparers and were told file a police report, print out everything and mail copies to the IRS and hope for the best.

Jim
Ouch!    You should immediately request a credit report from all reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and Trans Union) and perhaps even put a fraud alert on all of them. Identity theft is very common these days.

Yeah did that right after we finished with the local police. The officer we delt with said ours was the 5th or 6th one he'd done this year.

I try to maintain about a $1K return for my Federal...I loan them too much and they'll just pi$$ it away anyway.
State..most of my income is tax free (retired vet and Social Security) so they don't get anything. I'll generally give them a $36.00 check for "use tax" which is state sales tax for mail order/internet purchases on the 'honor system'. Year before last they sent me a letter requesting a copy of my federal tax return. I guess they got their knickers in a knot about a resident having income without the state getting their pound of flesh...

Wrote two big "quarterlies" to the Feds last year. Don't know the results yet. We typically have to file extensions due to my wife's business taxes. FTRPLT

I got a refund this year, normally do, but this year I have to apply it all to 2015 taxes. Being a business owner ain't all it's cracked to be, ha. Taxes are crazy high, even though I don't make much.

Oh well, I'm not going to complain. I still love living here and am thankful to be able to put some food on the table.

Second kid and no more 1099 work meant a big check for us this year. I understand that I shouldn't be happy to get a refund because that meant I let Uncle Sam hang onto more money than I should have, but still, that check is pretty nice to get.

huffelpuff":n6dcdnl4 said:
The officer we delt with said ours was the 5th or 6th one he'd done this year.
Just happened to my buddy. Someone in FL tried to file using his SSN. The IRS caught it because they were missing some info, but they still froze his ability to file. His accountant worked it out for him, he just had to sign a few forms and the accountant did the rest.