The thing about Pease...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiderwarde

Reaction score
So, I think I've finally figured out the thing about G L Pease tobacco. I've always found it kind of rough, harsh. But I've been smoking "Sixpence" recently (having discovered a taste for dark fired KY) and it dawned on me that his tobaccos all taste very pure.
I love Old Gowrie, Dorchester, and the like, but there is definitely something applied to them. They're a bit "sticky" when they're smoking. But "Sixpence," to me, tasted like leaves--just sweet, moody leaves. Now, I know this blend has some liquor topping on it, but it must be quite pure...as in, just actual liquor.
I sort of get the feeling that I'm smoking something close to what John Rolfe would have loaded into his pipe, at least in purity.

Sixpence is in my regular rotation, it took a few bowls in different pipes to come up with the right combination for me. I initially wasn't very impressed but I really enjoy it now.

I don't have a lot of experience with G.L. Pease blends other than Gaslight, which I enjoy from time to time, and now Sixpence.

There's a bit of a learning curve with GLP blends and each one has its own. I thoroughly enjoy most of his latakia's. Even the mellowest of them are quite flavorful and very natural. I struggled to enjoy each of Virginia mixtures only to find myself inspired by their flavors about half way through the tin. Take heed, they need to be decanted.

Embarcadero, Union Square, Telegraph Hill and Stratford are all fantastic. If you ever open a tin of GLP tobacco (same goes with C&D, by the way), and it's not to your tastes, leave the lid off for a couple hours, put it back on and shelf the tin for a week. Come back to it and then see what you think. It's the tobacco equivalent of decanting.

Fillmore bludgeoned my senses from the onset. After opening it, I let my first tin sit for 2 weeks, came back to it and it was a whole different experience (and a good one, at that). I make a concerted effort to do this with all non aromatic blends.

Just my opinion.. Take it for what it's worth...

Pease blends the tobaccos to HIS taste... Sometimes that rocks my socks off, sometimes I don't get it at all. There are several brands using the exact same bales of tobacco in their recipes that he uses but he constantly does a better job creating things that please me. Does it harken to a bygone era? Don't know, I didn't live in a bygone era and even those that did suffer greatly from 'Golden Era Syndrome'.

On a purity level I don't see how his tobacco can be any more or less 'pure' than the other guys operating under the same manufacturing facility unless they are Deliberately adding things in their recipes or he is instructing a differing method of processing. I don't think it can be he instructs a differing method else the other labels would follow suit.

The answer to your self asked question of 'what's so different about Pease tobacco' is this: It's elfin magic..( Keebler type, Not Lord of The Rings type) I suspect we may be smoking elf feces.. Every night the little buggers expel their merriment into those tins with the delightfull livery.

I've tried several GLP blends and hate them all, rather smoke Mixture 79 then another GLP blend.

puros_bran":hdrk95j8 said:

On a purity level I don't see how his tobacco can be any more or less 'pure' than the other guys operating under the same manufacturing facility unless they are Deliberately adding things in their recipes or he is instructing a differing method of processing.   I don't think it can be he instructs a differing method else the other labels would follow suit.
This makes sense. Maybe there's a continental difference: American and European. To my knowledge, blends like Old Gowrie are manufactured in Germany, K & K. I do know Pease advertises "Union Square" as completely unadulterated, pure, 100%, no funny business, "just" tobacco.

But then, with a thing like magic elf droppings, I can't blame any business owner for keeping that trade secret. Do you have to decant elf droppings?

DrumsAndBeer":4ds3ryeq said:
Fillmore bludgeoned my senses from the onset. After opening it, I let my first tin sit for 2 weeks, came back to it and it was a whole different experience (and a good one, at that). I make a concerted effort to do this with all non aromatic blends.
D&B my experience supports your suggestion here for non aromatics. Definitely worth mentioning.

Have tried and smoked many of his blends / mixtures and always thought they were done well but his ideas of flavor profiles was not what I enjoyed as well as his source of the Va's he uses. Nothing wrong with them they just don't "do it" for me!! :no:

Not overly familiar with the GLP series. But Telegraph Hill and especially Haddo's Delight are high on my list.

Union Square and Embarcadero never did much for me, despite trying.

Cheers,

RR

It seems to me from what Mr. Pease has written, he tends to work the nuances of the tobaccos, rather than depend on flavoured casings or toppings, though he has as much admitted that some of the products HE buys for his blends have casings that are flavoured. So, do with that info what you will, but I have yet to see him produce a self proclaimed aromatic....

whiderwarde":1g5c620w said:
"Sixpence," to me, tasted like leaves--just sweet, moody leaves.  Now, I know this blend has some liquor topping on it, but it must be quite pure...as in, just actual liquor.
Pssttt......
It's PERNOD!!!! ;)

puros_bran":acrqos1h said:
 Just my opinion.. Take it for what it's worth...

The answer to your self asked question of 'what's so different about Pease tobacco' is this: It's elfin magic..( Keebler type, Not Lord of The Rings type) I suspect we may be smoking elf feces.. Every night the little buggers expel their merriment into those tins with the delightfull livery.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The thing about Pease blends is, for me, that they are addictive. That is, once I open the tin, I tend to smoke it exclusively until gone. Not sure what that signifies, but it can't be bad. Haddo's is killer, "raw," right out of a freshly popped tin. I like the edge. Screw aging. Ditto for Laurel Heights, the one I'm near emptying right now (courtesy of Mr. Kyle Weiss of Reno). The only one I've tried that I probably won't buy again is Union Square, a bit too "pure" for this debauchee.

gulp's blends are indeed rough and with edge--yook me a while to get used to them but when one does, they be good.

gulp's blends are indeed rough and with edge--took me a while to get used to them but when one does, they be good.

Cartaphilus":53rgfac5 said:
I've tried several GLP blends and hate them all, rather smoke Mixture 79 then another GLP blend.

Well Ron, I don't have quite as much a dislike for these blends as you but I can understand your view. Telegraph Hill I enjoy on occasion and his burley blend Barbary Coast is pretty good. I know you don't appreciate burley, so forget about that one. You have always been a connoisseur of the finest blend ever made, Escudo. Stick to it my friend.
If I want a great Virginia blend I will reach for the British manufacturers or McClelland every time.