The Thing that should not be...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlock999

Reaction score
A recent thread concerning a pipe for sale that was generating little interest from other pipers got me thinking a little
(a little...).
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t20288-what-s-wrong-with-this-pipe
Now, some in the community were of the opinion that said pipe was not really desirable any longer due to the waning interest in 1970's style Danish freehands. OK, I can buy that theory. However, the pipe in question was not actually Danish, but an Israeli made Alpha "bridge" pipe, a shape that I mainly think of as a peculiarly American folly/disaster.
So, I thought I would share a truly Danish freehand monstrosity. Behold, the "Thing that should not BE"!!
I have no idea why I purchased it, and I can't explain why I still own it...

You like ring grain? How about a lot of ring grain?!

Birdseye tickle your fancy? How about a lot of birdseye?!

Oh, and it's big. Really big. Makes this G sized Sea Rock look dainty.

Harlock999":nr3mgrvu said:
I have no idea why I purchased it, and I can't explain why I still own it...
Ummmmm .... you need an anchor for your canoe ???

Sweet grain, but that thing is ginormous!

:affraid:

Thst's one HONKER of a pipe for sure :p To bad that gorgeous grain was wasted on that shape :p Definately a '70s style "Danish" pipe. Do you have a powder blue polyester liesure suit to wear while you smoke it ? :twisted:

Hey Chris - if it 'Shouldn't Be' and you 'Can't explain why you still own it', then I have the perfect answer for you...

Send it to Me! :lol:

:cheers:

Here it will not only be loved and appreciated, it will be smoked regularly. :D

Rob_In_MO":pj06lqxn said:
Hey Chris - if it 'Shouldn't Be' and you 'Can't explain why you still own it', then I have the perfect answer for you...

Don't do it, Rob !!!

You'll end up like this ...

quagmire20strong20arm.png

I like freehands, and I like that pipe. Granted, it's too frikken huge, but it's pretty cool too.

That's a serious block o' wood! Leviathan perhaps, but I wouldn't go as far monstrosity. I mean, it does look pretty cool after all.

I think you need to own at least one big, honking pipe. Mine is a David Jones Poker, but it sure doesn't have grain like that! I wouldn't want a rack full of that shape or size, but one to reach for occasionally would bad.

I love Bjarnes, but boy howdy is that one enormous pipe! You must be stronger that we thought to smoke that sucker. ;)

Rob_In_MO":m3pemx9i said:

Rob, definitely does not deserve this pipe, after all, he is emperor palpatine

so... you should probably give it to the Lord's work

:)

rev

Yeah, that Bjarne is pretty much just plain awesome. Lovely piece of briar and the grain is outstanding. I can definitely see why you keep it around.

A little more recently I came out as declaring I fell out of favor with freehand carvings. There's a caveat to this. I've fallen out of favor with certain freehand pipes...the run-of-the-mill, tulip or trumpet-shape, partially-sculpted and with bowls the size of a tree stump and tobacco chambers deeper than the maw of Chernobyl, designed for six hours of smoking syrupy-sweet Danish aromatics, butterfly collars on polyester shirts, tan elbow pads on tweed jackets and sipping cocktails... those are what I don't like. They're to the pipe world what forced, cheap folk music was to the same era.

With the exception of the sheer size, this is a brilliant pipe, done with a keen eye.

8)

You guys were supposed to hate and ridicule this thing, throw stones at it!
Not like it... :evil: