The tobacco killer...Wall of shame.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talrmn35

Reaction score
Hey, so I have this pipe and no matter what I pack into it, how I pack it, and how carefully I smoke it, it just ruins it. It's like a flavor sucker! Literally everything burns super hot and it's like removing the flavor..so all I get so super heated smoke and a burnt tongue! :evil:

So to bring public humiliation and shame to this mean bit of briar I will post its picture for all to see.

Feel free to post some of your bad boys.

Get a quality cube cut burley ..
Peretti BCP
Stokkebye Cube
One of Uhles...

Smoke that in it,slowly, for at least 10-12 bowls.. It may come around.

I've got a Johs' pipe like this and it's driving me crazy. Picture on the way.
It's awful.

I'm going to try PB's burley idea.

Sometimes a pipe refusing to play nice is the Universe telling you to pass the pipe along to another Brother... one just starting out, or one who you know loves that shape/maker, etc. I've found good foster homes for several troubled pipes that way.

Doc Manhattan":re4lck3z said:
Sometimes a pipe refusing to play nice is the Universe telling you to pass the pipe along to another Brother... one just starting out, or one who you know loves that shape/maker, etc. I've found good foster homes for several troubled pipes that way.
I think you may be right...perhaps I'll clean it up and wait for the Universe to bring along the right newbie to pass it along to.

Any pipe shop that has a good estate collection may offer enough trade value to make that option worthwhile, especially if you have 2-3 other pipes that you're not on friendly terms with. Your stinkers may add up to the price of something you really like from the same shop.

Steve

Unless there's a hideous flaw I say smoke it..

I have a Bjarne that I threatened to give away for a year but kept smoking because my kids gave it to me....

When I finally said its gone, I'm done, frikkin tired of it.. I wound up smoking it one last time (id forgot to mail it and it was the only "clean" pipe in the truck) and it was the best smoke I ever had... I've been smoking it since and it will be the last pipe I ever let go of.

It's a handsome pipe. I wouldn't give up on it, even if just to have a nice looking piece to contemplate, and wonder about why it won't behave.

PHEW

I thought you mighta meant a certain XL blasted bent apple.

So... yeah. That's a crappy looking piece of crap and it's God punishing you for ever buying a straight pipe in the first place, Talr. :pig:

I thought you mighta meant a certain XL blasted bent apple.
Good heavens NO! That one is a smoking machine!!! By far my favorite pipe, and I'm not just sayin that. Smoking it right now as a matter of fact, loaded with some chelsea morning. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

talrmn35":lfhv0rdz said:
Hey, so I have this pipe and no matter what I pack into it, how I pack it, and how carefully I smoke it, it just ruins it. It's like a flavor sucker! Literally everything burns super hot and it's like removing the flavor..so all I get so super heated smoke and a burnt tongue! :evil:

So to bring public humiliation and shame to this mean bit of briar I will post its picture for all to see.

Feel free to post some of your bad boys.
One of the Davidoffs (Dublin) which I bought a little while ago disappointed me in a big way. Two days ago I decided I will give it a mistreat and loaded it with PURE latakia. I battled through that trial but, to my amazement, this almost cured the problem. So I loaded it with some more of this medicine and now this pipe is broken in and tame as an old horse.

I have a few pipes around that I didn´t really like off the bat. Even some of the ones that come from reputable makers are just hard to figure out sometimes. They got sent to the "everything pile" and I just smoked whatever in them and didn´t worry about it. Aro´s, Lats, Vapers, whatever. At some point they just got better and I like them today. I think that what PB says about pipes "coming around" is true.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t10598-pipes-from-hell

:face:

PS : from your description, it sounds to me like the airway through the bite zone's a pinhole. The solution there's obvious.

You never know what may cause a pipe to smoke badly unless it's an obvious flaw in craftsmanship. I've got 3 pipes that would be suitable for a "wall of shame" but I don't believe it's the fault of the craftsman and I think it would be unfair to them to attribute the poor smoking qualities of the pipe on a "wall of shame".

Fortunately one began smoking perfectly on the 21st smoke. Why it took so long and suddenly turned the corner I'll never know. Has really nice grain and fine craftsman ship. I gave up on another on the 25th smoke...always gurgles and gives as bitter taste but has nice grain and fine craftsmanship. One $375 pipe smokes dry but has given a consistent very bitter taste to any and all tobaccos I've tried in it since I received it new. It's now being stored in its leather pouch as I'm pondering what to do with it. I just don't feel right trying to pass it along.

Some thoughts that have come to my mind are: the original heath bush was-- a marking spot for the neighborhood dogs or cats, an outdoor latrine for the briar harvesters, a gray water dump site or the briar block was on the corner of the storage pile next the neighborhood dog walk.

Jim..my ha'pence if that

OlDawg":5a7d0enr said:
I just don't feel right trying to pass it along.
But yet how often does it turn out that the next guy just loves it ? GLP wrote one of his blog entries about just that.

One man's meat . . .

Pipes are female.

:face: