The Tobacco Pouch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dramatwist

Reaction score
I used to carry an inexpensive (invariably plaid) roll-up tobacco pouch. Difficult to find these days.

Tried several leather zip-ups and ceased because of the inconsistent seal.

The zip-lock baggie works well, but... is a bit like a kid with a sack lunch.

What is your choice? Just on your person, say... for a walk.

Best,

I think mine is a Ben Wade leather tri-fold. Pipe will be found in a shirt pocket.

Kelhammer":lvc7ecrm said:
I think mine is a Ben Wade leather tri-fold. Pipe will be found in a shirt pocket.  
Like this 'cept mine is a much worn old Dunhill roll-up I got when I started smoking a pipe back in '69. It's coming apart now and I need to get another but at their prices now, it WON'T be a Dunhill  :twisted: :twisted: 

I shouldn't even chime in here as it's probably not helpful, but I keep everything in jars except for those I'm smoking soon or about to finish off (and therefore free up a jar).

Everything that's a small amount and loose I use ziplocs for. But I'm young and naive, far from a classy guy. I like to think I do have good taste, though. I think all that matters is that the tobacco was kept in as good a condition up to the time you smoked it. After that, who cares if it's a sack lunch or Rolls Royce? YMMV.

mejoshee":zb62uudu said:
I shouldn't even chime in here as it's probably not helpful, but I keep everything in jars except for those I'm smoking soon or about to finish off (and therefore free up a jar).

Everything that's a small amount and loose I use ziplocs for. But I'm young and naive, far from a classy guy. I like to think I do have good taste, though. I think all that matters is that the tobacco was kept in as good a condition up to the time you smoked it. After that, who cares if it's a sack lunch or Rolls Royce? YMMV.
Hey! Sherlock kept his in an old shoe... who am I to judge?

mejoshee":6v5pmh9x said:

I only use the roll-up when going out with my pipe, when I go I load up some 'bac, and when I get back it goes back in the tin/jar. Work out of the tins and jars when at home.  :twisted: 

I use two Comoy pouches leather with vinyl lining, zipper on top.  Slides into my pipe bag which can hold 3 pipes.

Puff Daddy":vskmdw8j said:
I have one of these, but it's Savinelli branded and light tan. I typically do not like using pouches as more often than not I find that it's where tobacco goes to die. I was tempted by the Castello pouch but it was the same thing with different stamping and about $200+ more.

I also have a baccyflap but I don't use it too much. It's nice for flakes though.

Otherwise I just throw a tin in my pocket or bag.

I have a cheap small zipper pouch that I found (not kidding).

Being able to schlepp pipes, cleaners, lighter, matches and other accessories around is a hassle for me & was something that I needed to invest in so I took advantage of SorringOwl's Christmas pouch deal. He's making me one in British Tan. Can't wait to get it.

I have a single pipe holder with a rubber pouch, but I always put my blends in a ziploc anyway. I change tobacco's too often and just save tobacconist ziplocs. In my larger, 4 and 6 pipe bags, I also put ziploc bags in there.

But, I fell for this GBD zippered pouch last week, my first "pouch". It went ignored on Ebay and is in terrific condition. It's just the right size, 6.5" x 3.5" and slips nicely into either of those multi-pipe bags. I've seen GBD stamped logo pouches. In fact, I have one really one fold-over pouch, but it is just too tiny. But I've never seen one with the brass GBD rondell. Given my affinity for GBD's this fits right in.

Iwan Ries sells an old-timey kind of translucent yellowish tri-fold with a sifter. The sifter is a mesh strip that the fine powder falls through. Very inexpensive and good for a walk or a day. I think Carole at Vermont Pipes has a similar item. I would say these pouches are one step up from a Zip Loc. They're for pipe tobacco, but don't seem "over engineered."

If I'm going to be out for the whole day I'll take along an old leather pouch with a ziplock of tobacco. Otherwise it's whatever's in my pipe when I leave.

It will hold 2 pipes, 2oz of tobacco, pipe cleaners, pipe tool, and lighter.

Jim

My best one says "Made in England" and "Real Leather". No name on it. Probably GBD.
It's zippered and I don't know what the lining is, but it's not vinyl.
Microfiber, thin suede?

But it will keep tobacco for a day or two. I have a vinyl lined, leather roll up that doesn't work well.
At first I thought someone had left a packet of desiccant in there.  :)

KevinM":6naz1dfv said:
Iwan Ries sells an old-timey kind of translucent yellowish tri-fold with a sifter. The sifter is a mesh strip that the fine powder falls through. Very inexpensive and good for a walk or a day. I think Carole at Vermont Pipes has a similar item. I would say these pouches are one step up from a Zip Loc. They're for pipe tobacco, but don't seem "over engineered."
+1 here,
The "rotator" pouches with the screen on the bottom are fabulous IMO. Leaves all the dust in the bottom of the pouch. I have a Dunhill rotator pouch, a couple of the plaid roll ups, and also a Brebbia Box pouch. The Red Plaid pouches get more use than all of them, just really inexpensive and easy to use and they keep the tobacco fresh for a long period of time.

gnossos":7mjvu51u said:
more often than not I find that it's where tobacco goes to die
 :lol: So true.  I had a Dunhill roll-up swiped from the front seat of a car parked for two seconds in front of the St. Regis hotel in NY one time (unlocked with window down.)  Yes, I'm a moron.  Replaced it with a Peterson.  Serviceable but inferior.*  The only reason for using them, to my mind, is for carrying when wearing business attire or a sport coat.  Unobtrusive and don't look tacky.  Otherwise, I just carry a can or zip-lock.

* One had surgical rubber lining and better leather, the other vinyl.

If I'm just packing one pipe for a quick outing or on my bike it will be with my Peterson leather pipe bag that has a rubber type baccy chamber on top and a side compartment that has enough room for my pipe lighter, cleaners, pipe tool and filters.
It is a two pipe bag but usually it just gets used with one as most of my pipes are bent and if I need to pack two I use a slightly bigger Big Ben bag that they fit in easier.