The troops at Christmas - something to consider

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyson

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this, but it felt like this might be the right place, I hope its not viewed as inappropriate.

Basically, I was thinking that as a community we do a lot for each other, and although we are all struggle with our own problems in life and everyone deserves a bit of a lift from time to time, compared to the life our troops lead abroad most of us have it pretty good. I'm not trying to sound sanctimonious or make anyone feel bad, but I think its true.

At this time of year I try to do something to show our servicemen and women that they are not forgotten, and this year I will be sending some Christmas packages and letters to the troops we have deployed in Afghanistan. I know there are those of us already doing things and involved with similar charities, but its easy to let our daily problems distract us, and the UK armed forces mailing deadline for Christmas is the 23rd November so I thought it was worth bringing up, and if putting the idea out there gets another package sent out then I think it was worth mentioning.

There are several established charities that deal with this kind of activity, Help For Heroes, Treats For Troops and others, but this year I will be using Support Our Soldiers. These are charities that help the UK armed forces, I'm certain there are mirrored organisations for troops of other nationalities, but I'm afraid I don't know them off the top of my head. There is general information available on the net (for example here) should you wish to send something, it doesn't have to be big or expensive, even having a handwritten letter from somebody lets them know they are being thought about, and I think that matters.

Times are tough everywhere, and some of us are already at the limit of what we can do. If that describes you, please don't feel bad, I didn't mean for this to make anyone's life more difficult or unhappy. But if you might be able to do something, its worth considering.

I have a few friends who have been stationed or are currently stationed abroad. Being of the age that my peers' military careers are still happening, I think you have a wonderful idea. I've heard it first hand that sometimes these gestures are the most meaningful; the ones that come from people who don't know the soldiers personally, and are thanking them for their service. That being said, I'm a Navy brat, so maybe it hits home a little. :D

what a great post - thanks Greyson.

i have some sanitized pipes - and plenty of interesting tobacco - i'd be happy to package each up as a bundle and donate 'em to the troops. but i can't find a way to send it to US troops. those are UK links and the US links i've found don't seem to want stuff like this (they want money to fund a care package of food, pretty much).

and they won't release contact info (which they should not - right behavior!) and obviously there's no way to know which service men/women are pipe smokers.

anybody have any advice on how to do this?

doody.

Things are tighter than normal for us to be honest but I should like to help a little, I shall send off a little something for the lads and lasses on the morrow, wont be much, maybe a nice tin of Roses or something of the such, a nice sweetie or two might make someone's day. :)

Our local American Legion Post sends out Christmas package every year. I'm going in Sunday for the Packing Party. It's a great get-together.

Most units have a family support group that will be happy to help with the addresses.
Just call a unit's staff duty NCO and you should get assistance.
JR's will ship to APOE addresses...very quickly.

Bill

I can relate to this post first hand. I started smoking a pipe in 2008 while deployed to Iraq and found this site to be very helpful as well as entertaining. I received a great care package from the members which just made myself and my fellow dog handlers very happy to be thought of. I'm still in the army and can tell you that we all greatly appreciate the support especially during the holidays. I actually get to spend this Christmas with my family for once but will be sending a package to friends I know downrange. Thank you again BoB

BubbaL002":2gcjornm said:
I can relate to this post first hand. I started smoking a pipe in 2008 while deployed to Iraq and found this site to be very helpful as well as entertaining. I received a great care package from the members which just made myself and my fellow dog handlers very happy to be thought of. I'm still in the army and can tell you that we all greatly appreciate the support especially during the holidays. I actually get to spend this Christmas with my family for once but will be sending a package to friends I know downrange. Thank you again BoB
We thank you for your service, Brother!