The trouble with all this good tobacco...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talrmn35

Reaction score
I have so many different kinds now, and so many that I like...its getting hard to choose which one I want! My evening smoke is like my desert, my evening treat and now it takes me 20 minutes just to decide what to have!! I know there are worse problems...or real problems. I'm just sayin...Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I too have this problem these days. I have them all set up on my sideboard in the living room. I get to smoke inside (live alone) so I just stare at the glass jars and try to decide which one to smoke.

Of all the problems to have, too much good tobacco is a pretty good one. lol.

It's a nice problem to have if you enjoy problems :lol:

If you don't, you do some triage. Some pipes & tobaccos you really like, period. Those are keepers. Others maybe not so much, but you really like them in combination (this tobacco in that pipe). They kind of sort themselves out.

The longer this goes on, and the more the survivor pipes acclimate themselves to the survivor tobaccos they hit it off with, the more pronounced the differences are between the Class A stuff and the rest, meaning the more superfluous jars (& tins) and pipes you have. Which, while maybe not major bell-ringers to you, probably will be to the newer guys on budgets coming along behind you whose vibes you like.

Pay it forward, Gents, while you can. 8) It's not the zero sum game that the immature approach it as. The alternative to generosity is stinginess. And the circle will be unbroken. Count on it.

Sunday Sermon concluded. FWIW

:face:

PS : Not "preaching." Just reminding you of what you already know.

A side bonus...
You will end up with hard to get (out of/lack of production, age, etc) tobacco that will blow someone mind umpteen times over that you would gift it away. When the reality is that it was something you won't smoke for whatever reason..lol

Yes, at times it does feel like that there´s too much of a good thing!!

Actually my situation is the opposite at the moment. My cellar is almost bare and my son poured coffee into some of my remaining open tins. I´m really enjoying what there is to choose from you could say... :lol!:

I do have that 4 y.o. EMP hidden away sitill though..... Maybe time to get that out.

I have too many good tobaccos to choose from as well. I try to keep only 6 tins of tobacco opened at any one time in order to simplify the selection process: 1 Va, 1 VaPer, 1 Oriental, 1 English, 1 Balkan and 1 oddball (cigar leaf, aromatic, burley, etc...).

Here is my current selection:

select10.jpg

When I buy a tobacco I have never tried before though, it gets very challenging to stick with the "6 tins" rule.

Well PP, whenever you give up the pipe, I'd be happy to take that setup off your hands... :lol:

Really great selection man, lovely organization etc.

CLRV":gbg3avlw said:
Well PP, whenever you give up the pipe, I'd be happy to take that setup off your hands... :lol:
I'll keep that in mind man, but don't hold your breath! ;)

I keep my open tin limit set at three. Sometimes though it can be difficult to to choose between those.

My problem is that each of my tobacco orders consists of:
-Replenishing the ones I stock and adding to the cellar
-One or two sampler tins that I've never tried

I generally like my samplers so much I decide to stock if not cellar, or both.

My tobacco seems to call to me more that the other way around. Sometimes I will be doing some task and I will suddenly "taste" one and think 'Ah yes, that will be nice' although more often than not, I won't have had the chance to smoke for a while and by the time I do a different blend will have taken my fancy.

PipePuffer":cay9l0w6 said:
I have too many good tobaccos to choose from as well. I try to keep only 6 tins of tobacco opened at any one time in order to simplify the selection process: 1 Va, 1 VaPer, 1 Oriental, 1 English, 1 Balkan and 1 oddball (cigar leaf, aromatic, burley, etc...).
I like your system. I would have to choose six ones and just worry about getting some bulk suppliers that can acommodate my choices.